Anybody collect USAAF Sextants??

curio bill

curio bill

I have seen several of these for sale & they look pretty neat. Any advice on collecting these gizmos?? What to look for, or look out for??

Thanks, Bill

AAF_Collection

Hi Bill,

I'd suggest the main thing to look for are examples which have all the accessories intact and everything in good condition. I traded away the rather poor examples I had some years ago,but I'd like to build a collection of AAF navigation equipment eventually.

Matt.

benguttery

There is a great book entitled Most Probable Position that describes aerial navigation prior to WW2. Lots of info about sextants and octants and similar equipment. I've never seen an aerial sextant that looks as cool as a nautical one, but they are very interesting devices. The book I mentioned tells about why aerial devices are different... you really just don't have the time to take readings while inflight, but you usually do have time on a ship and drink your coffee too.

There are a lot of these devices available and like mentioned earlier, buy good ones. They can be found for fair prices.

• 2 months later...
Any advice on collecting these gizmos? What to look for, or look out for?

An opportunity for you to decide if air navigation devices of WWII are interesting and visually attractive, or not?

Source: Aero Digest, Vol. 41 No. 3, September 1942

post-75-1345709421.jpg