M16 Nylon Slings

NamHelmet

Hey. Just came back from the gun show today. I wanted to buy a sling for my M16A1 airsoft, just to add some character along with the basic utility. I was not sure which one to get, so I got two: a cotton duct one and a nylon one. Which one is more historically accurate and is the nylon one even era?

The nylon is on top with the cotton duct on the bottom.

post-30111-1338776789.jpg

Here is a closeup of the nylon one's stitching and "heat sear." I also notice that there is some discoloration in the this nylon one (It has received sun fading, with only the part closer to the buckle still its original green).

post-30111-1338777216.jpg

What I don't get is why the buckles are on the opposite sides of each other.

post-30111-1338777411.jpg

IIRC, the nylon "seatbelt slings", first made it on the books in 1971. The cotton one is good for before that. So, either would be correct depending on the time frame you want to represent.

Helmet, you can get the hooks on the same side, it's easy to do by reversing the setup.

When did the solid black nylon (woven to look like the cotton ducK pictured here) with the 2 rectangular keepers come on the scene? I've only ever seen it issued with M16A2s or M4s, but all my time has been with those weapons.

Thanks,

Steve

Helmet, you can get the hooks on the same side, it's easy to do by reversing the setup.

When did the solid black nylon (woven to look like the cotton ducK pictured here) with the 2 rectangular keepers come on the scene? I've only ever seen it issued with M16A2s or M4s, but all my time has been with those weapons.

Thanks,

Steve

Those are known as the "silent sling" and they are post Vietnam, but I don't remember the exact time frame. There were also black ctton ones that came with SP1s.