WW I wound or overseas chevron?

Desertrat

Got this in Canton for $1. Is there a way to tell the difference between a wound and overseas chevron if it is not applied to a uniform?

post-2527-1338756207.jpg

It is neither. It is an Army Honorable Discharge Chevron. Wound and War Service Chevrons for theater of operations service are both gold colored. A Wound Chevron is worn on the right sleeve. War Service Chevrons are worn on the left sleeve. Silver colored War Service Cherons are worn for service not in the theater of operations and a sky blue War Service Chevrons is worn to show less than six month's service in the theater of operations. A sky blue War Service Chevron could not be worn in conjunction with a War Service Chevron for theater of operations service or for non-theater of operations service. In other words a soldier could wear either a single or multiple War Service Chevrons for either overseas or non-overseas service (not mixed, it was one color or the other) or a single sky blue War Service Chevron.

itresting uiform as I see a red chevron being worn for a wound stripe.I have several uniforms where the color of the disharge stripe varies from a red to a salmon pink color.

Thanks for posting the 1st Army Cav uniform

itresting uiform as I see a red chevron being worn for a wound stripe.I have several uniforms where the color of the disharge stripe varies from a red to a salmon pink color.

Thanks for posting the 1st Army Cav uniform

Is it red? Or, does it only look pinkish. It could very well be that coppery-gold color often seen on wound/war service chevrons.

VolunteerArmoury

I've seen some open collar 1920s style Reserve & Guard uniforms with the discharge chevron on them. Was this in accordance with regulations and indicated just a discharge from active duty?

I've seen some open collar 1920s style Reserve & Guard uniforms with the discharge chevron on them. Was this in accordance with regulations and indicated just a discharge from active duty?

Thats very interesting given that by the late 20s when these type uniforms started to be worn rank, chevrons were now mandated to be worn on both sleeves, have been from I think 1923 on ( I forget the actual date), this would include both regular and reserve components.

VolunteerArmoury
1100442[/url]']

Thats very interesting given that by the late 20s when these type uniforms started to be worn rank, chevrons were now mandated to be worn on both sleeves, have been from I think 1923 on ( I forget the actual date), this would include both regular and reserve components.

I was curious if the wear of it by a reserve component member depicted discharge from active service by someone awarded it then reenlisted in the Guard or Reserves.

I was curious if the wear of it by a reserve component member depicted discharge from active service by someone awarded it then reenlisted in the Guard or Reserves.

No. It's purpose was to allow honorably discharged soldier to wear their uniforms for a period of time (like long enough to get home). It was not an award or insignia to be worn if service was continued in another capacity like in the National Guard. Service stripes showed honorable service, too. I think those served the purpose to which you allude.

VolunteerArmoury
1101118[/url]']

No. It's purpose was to allow honorably discharged soldier to wear their uniforms for a period of time (like long enough to get home). It was not an award or insignia to be worn if service was continued in another capacity like in the National Guard. Service stripes showed honorable service, too. I think those served the purpose to which you allude.

Wonder if the reasoning for it being worn on later Organized Reserve & Guard was just lack of understanding the regs thinking it was just applicable to leaving active duty which I see almost every day on modern uniforms misunderstandings to include a Bde CSM I saw recently with incorrect insignia but that's kinda drifting off subject.

Wonder if the reasoning for it being worn on later Organized Reserve & Guard was just lack of understanding the regs thinking it was just applicable to leaving active duty which I see almost every day on modern uniforms misunderstandings to include a Bde CSM I saw recently with incorrect insignia but that's kinda drifting off subject.

I lean toward your lack of understanding reason. We'd have to find the regulation or bulletin that ended the use of the red honorable discharge chevron. Misunderstanding, misinterpretation and just plain ignornance of insignia wear have been with us as long as soldiers have.