USAF Master Sgt

Desertrat

I picked these up in Canton this week end for a buck a piece. I know the AF changed the design in 1990. Since these are cut edge , I assuume they are 50s to 60s era.

post-2527-1338755980.jpg

• 1 month later...

The merrowed edge stripes started to be phased in in 1968. I think they are 1950's to 1960's stripes. I joined the Air Force in 1968 and the stripes I was issued for Airman were a mix of cut edge and merrowed and by when I got out in 1972 I think they were all merrowed.

• 3 weeks later...
These could be as late as 1980's. The new Master Sgt. chevrons came out in '92-'94 time frame.

This gives me an opportunity to ask: Does anyone know of a firm cutoff date for the old E-7 -8 -9 chevrons? I've looked through all the '92-'94 issues of Airman magazine and can't find anything.

Thanks,

Justin B.

New specifications were issued for the new USAF chevrons on 9 March 1994. This changed the colors to white on graphite blue and re-arranged the stripes for Master Sgt. & up. This is according to an article in the ASMIC Trading Post from 1994. This change also eliminated the 3" wide chevrons and replaced those with the now current 3 1/2" wide stripes for wear by females and on male shirts. The 4" wide chevrons continued to be the size for male uniform coats. I don't know what the "wear-out", period was for the obsolete chevrons. This same change also described the subdued chevrons for the BDU's being worn and also the desert chevrons colors.

Hope this helps.

Good info, Lee. I'm still looking for firm dates on the wear-out period, but that will narrow my search.

Thanks,

Justin B.

• 5 weeks later...