Need help with ID of this planes unit

kyhistorian01

kyhistorian01

Here is a photo a friend of mine sent a copy of to me. he found it in his things after he moved to Florida and he is trying to figure out if its someone in his family or his new wife's family. The name of the plane is Lady Louise and from the pic it appears to be a C-47. If any one has information on this plane please let me know. I have also posted this in the photo section. Thanks for your help.

Robert

post-6492-1338731946.jpg

Johnny Signor

"3J" is for the 99th Troop Carrier Squadron of the 441st Troop Carrier Group, and yes it's a C-47 with the name "Lady Louise"

Johnny

Johnny Signor

You can also try the 441st Group reunion site , they usually have a historian that may be able to post the photo and info ..................

Johnny

The terrain and sunlight look like other such pix taken in Italy before the Southern France invasion.

In DRAGOON, the 441st Gp carried the 509th PIBn and 463rd PFAB to DZ "C". The Gp was then under the 50th TC Wing (fresh from the Normandy trip). NOTE: The 99th and many other TC Sqns did not deploy to Italy in their entirety. Detachments of the Sqns left the UK on TDY. After DRAGOON, they redeployed to France. I would expect only 8 or 9 Sqn planes went, so this should narrow the field for finding Lady Louise.

• 6 years later...

I see this question was posted quite a while ago but I just came across it while doing a search for something else. I know exactly who is in this photo!! From left to right it is; Donald F Gallagher, Jackson, Bostwick and Boudreaux. Donald was my Great Uncle and I have the same exact photo. This photo was taken on June 5, 1944 and they served with the 441st Troop Carrier Group, 99th Troop Carrier Squadron.

The 441st Troop Carrier Group trained and transported cargo in the United Kingdom until Jun 1944. Began operations during the invasion of Normandy, dropping paratroops of 101st Airborne Division near Cherbourg on D-Day and releasing gliders with reinforcements on 7 Jun, being awarded a DUC for carrying out these missions. Following the operations in Normandy, the organization transported cargo in France and the United Kingdom until part of the group went to Italy in Jul 1944. In Italy it made scheduled flights between Grosseto and Rome, transporting supplies and evacuating patients. When the Allies invaded southern France in Aug 1944 the detachment in Italy dropped troops of the 509th Parachute Infantry Regiment along the Riviera on 15 Aug and hauled gliders with reinforcements later in the day. After the detached echelon returned to England on 25 Aug, the group resumed its cargo missions, then moved to the Continent in Sep 1944 for further operations in support of the advancing Allies. Dropped paratroops of 82d and 101st Airborne Divisions near Nijmegen on 17 Sep during the air attack on Holland, and towed gliders with reinforcements on 18 and 23 Sep. In Dec, transported ammunition, rations, medicine, and other supplies to troops of 101st Airborne Division surrounded by the enemy at Bastogne. Released gliders carrying troops of 17th Airborne Division near Wesel on 24 Mar 1945 when the Allies launched the airborne assault across the Rhine. Hauled gasoline to armored columns in Germany after the Allies crossed the Rhine. Continually transported freight and personnel in the theater when not participating in airborne operations. Evacuated casualties and prisoners who had been liberated. Remained overseas after the war as part of United States Air Forces in Europe. Continued to transport personnel and equipment, using C-46, C-47, and C-109 aircraft. Inactivated in Germany on 30 Sep 1946.

• 1 year later...

Crashjg my family also has a copy of this picture, it was provided by my uncle (a crew chief) who became MIA at Operation Market Garden.  We were under the impression that he was third from the left whom you identified as Bostwick.  My uncles name was Ruble.  I don't doubt your statement, just curious how we have the same picture, any thoughts?

2Mechs,

My Uncle wrote the names on the photo, that's the only way I knew who else was in the photo with him. 

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

kyhistorian01 there is a website "6Juin1944.com" that shows formation and tail numbers.  To get to formations I had to go off the site and search "Mission Albany 441 TCG".  I looked for Gallagher as Crash mentioned.  I don't know if Gallagher was a pilot or co-pilot at the time.  If you have the pilots name you can zero in on the serial number.  Good luck.