Cartridge Belt Repairs

talontree14

talontree14

Hello everyone!

I have recently aquired two cartridge belts from WW1. Both belts are missing pieces, and I wanted to see how I could restore them for a display I am planning. The first of the two belts is my first eagle snap belt I recently won off the evil bay. The belt is missing either the back adjustment belt or I am wondering if the belt was cut down the middle. The second belt is a standard Long belt that is missing the male buckle but is otherwise intact.

Can anything be done to repair these two cartridge belts?

post-51805-1338696328.jpg

post-51805-1338696512.jpg

Thanks!

P.S. First time picture poster, be kind!

Christian

The eagle snap looks cut to me.Thats a shame.Appears to be a M1903 belt(2nd pattern with puckered pockets) and I believe these were 9 pocket models and one has been completely cut out.THe adjustment(s) would have been made with the metal tabs on the ends of the belt

talontree14

@doyler

That is what I was afraid of. I can honestly say I am not sure where to start with that one. :thumbdown:

@doyler

That is what I was afraid of. I can honestly say I am not sure where to start with that one. :thumbdown:

I know your pain. ;)

I have a canteen cover missing a snap.No good way to replace it.Ben looking for a repro eagle snap but no luck.I think WPG makes repro Mills woven belts but yet to see the hardware.

ww2reproductions

I have repaired and rebuilt a few cartridge belts but there comes a point when its cheaper to just buy another.

Both could be repaired/ rebuilt but you would need matching materials and parts from another donor.

Then the cost of postage to and from my location (Australia)

The end result would be ok for display but nothing else.

Leo

At the risk of sounding like an uncaring monster..

This is what around here we call CVO militaria (Caloric Value Only). Though such pieces do find a useful life sometimes as battlefield debris; items half-buried in stage 'mud' for a large battlefield vignette in a museum exhibit, etc.

As for arranging some sort of Dr. Frankenstein repair and reanimation, unless you have unlimited free time and resources to burn, you will be well-served to discard these and save your nickels for nice examples when they come along.

• 4 weeks later...
American Patrol Co.

I might have something that will work. call cell, 801-494-9852, West Jordan Utah, formally american patrol canvas co.

Peace

RustyCanteen
At the risk of sounding like an uncaring monster..

This is what around here we call CVO militaria (Caloric Value Only). Though such pieces do find a useful life sometimes as battlefield debris; items half-buried in stage 'mud' for a large battlefield vignette in a museum exhibit, etc.

As for arranging some sort of Dr. Frankenstein repair and reanimation, unless you have unlimited free time and resources to burn, you will be well-served to discard these and save your nickels for nice examples when they come along.

I would agree with Jeff on the second belt, too much work to repair (reconstructing the missing middle section) and it still wouldn't look right. Complete, lesser than mint examples can routinely be found for around $50-100.

Hello everyone!

I have recently aquired two cartridge belts from WW1. Both belts are missing pieces, and I wanted to see how I could restore them for a display I am planning. The first of the two belts is my first eagle snap belt I recently won off the evil bay. The belt is missing either the back adjustment belt or I am wondering if the belt was cut down the middle. The second belt is a standard Long belt that is missing the male buckle but is otherwise intact.

Can anything be done to repair these two cartridge belts?

post-51805-1338696328.jpg

post-51805-1338696512.jpg

Thanks!

P.S. First time picture poster, be kind!

Christian

The eagle snap belt you could mock-up to look OK on a dummy, but it would always be frail and look awful from the back side. If it were me, here is what I'd do:

1. Remove the male buckle end from eagle snap belt...at least you can do this without further damaging whats left of the belt.

2. Buy 1 yard of this: http://www.atthefrontshop.com/ProductDetai...ductCode=fhwodw

3. Take the 1918 belt, the male buckle you removed, and that fabric to some place with a heavy sewing machine. Leather shop, boot repair, sail maker, or if near a military base a place like Ranger Joe's or US Cavalry. Have them do a "field repair". Fold a piece of the webbing along the buckle, place the belt on top of it and run multiple stitches along the edge of the first pocket.

4. Consider parting out the eagle snap belt as repair parts for others.....it'd probably pay for itself and the repair of the other belt. I mean, its already destroyed, at least let it be an organ donor to other good stuff.

Sure, the 1918 belt won't be 100% legit.....but it stays on the dummy, looks like an original field repair, and has an original buckle.