WWII Jump Wings and Ovals

Torch03

attachicon.gifattachment

This is my first post to this great site so please excuse my photography and editing. Here's a few ovals I have in my collection. Nothing earth shattering, but I would like to get peoples' oppion on the one one with the armor triangle as far as unit and time period. From Scott Hughes' 'A complete Guide To Flashes and Ovals', I was able to come up with 11th Recon Co., 76th ATB or 710th ATB. I have found to guide to be great if you collect post WWII ovals, but kind of frustrating for WWII era ones.

Beautiful flashes. Thanks for posting.

• 1 month later...

Is this a 511th PIR unfinished or error oval missing the inner white border or maybe an unidentified quartermaster unit oval?

post-1389-0-49585500-1582217213.jpg

• 1 year later...
chief4af

Looking for help with ID and date of Manuf. of jump wings attached. Asian made came with a Meyers 1950 Army Pilot wings pin back.

Thanks

Marty

DSC01668.JPG

DSC01666.JPG

Tonomachi

I have the same image (rear only) of this same wing (see below) in my photo reference which I've had for years and never knew what the front looked like until now.  I can't remember where I found the image and why there was not an image of the front.   The fact that it came with a 1950s to 1960s era US Army pilot wing is interesting as I had always assumed it was either a theater made WW2 or post war occupation era piece.  It would be nice if someone could make out the Chinese characters on reverse which would tell us if it is of Chinese or Japanese manufacture.

The following is just speculation on my part.  What is obvious is the Chinese characters on the back indicating Chinese (Taiwanese) or Japanese manufacture.  The pin back assembly looks original to the wing which is a little baffling.  The pivot point pin back assembly attachment resembles the way in which the Japanese made copies of US paratrooper wings after WW2.  However this egg shaped ball catch was not used by any of the Japanese manufactures of US paratrooper wings during the occupation.  The Germans used a similar ball catch on one of their occupation era US paratrooper wings but this is obviously not of German manufacture.  The few WW2 era Chinese made US paratrooper wings that have surfaced in OSS related groupings use a very crude pin back assembly and doesn't match the pin back assembly on this wing.   None of the WW2 era Chinese (OSS Det 202 trained) airborne/commando wing variants utilize this pin back assembly.  

The US occupation of Japan lasted until September 8, 1951 and the US Army did not come out with their pilot wings until February 12, 1957.   We still had US forces that remained in Japan as well as Okinawa so this could still be a later period Japanese made copy of a US paratrooper wing.  From the front it has that pronounced zig zag chute skirt line that you see on a few pin back sterling paratrooper wings like the examples below.  

So I don't think we are going to be able to tell who, what, where and when unless someone can decipher the Chinese characters on the back.  I would consider this a rare piece as this is the only one that has surfaced to my knowledge and I have been looking for variants for my collection for many years now.   These is the off chance that this was made in India during WW2 and is OSS related.  The OSS Det 101 "Burma bars" were made in Calcutta during WW2 because the OSS weren't authorized to wear the CIB even though they were fighting like infantry in a war zone.  To rectify this injustice they came out with their own CIB they called the Burma bar.  Some of the Burma bars have this same egg shaped ball catch.  

DSCF0894.JPG

Hollow Back Chute Only (2).jpg

Hollow Back Chute Only (1).jpg

Unique Catch (2).jpg

Unique Catch (1).jpg