Hollywood Patches # 2

patches

3 hours ago, patches said:

And a great find with Lloyd Bridges as an 82nd Abn Div guy, a WWII Vet, in a 1965 episode of Bob Hope Presents the Chrysler Theatre

called Exit from a Plane in Flight, episode written by Rod Serling. Not really sure on the Plot, think that Ex WWII Paratrooper played by Huge O'Brien has flashbacks/nightmares or something, and reconnects with his wartime buddy (Lloyd Bridges) who's still serving in the Army to put his mind at ease.

exit.jpg

Found the beginning of this episode.

4 hours ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

I bet rod serling wrote that with his own memories of being a paratrooper

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Since Serling was in the Pacific in the 11th Abn Div, maybe he made these guys to be in the 503rd and his dreams are of one the New Guinea Jumps, these guys wore the M42 Uniform still and wore Helmet Nets still.

image.png.83743e43b42478403ad05badd8fae752.png

• 2 weeks later...

The 1st Army patch on Beau Bridges and an actor named Robert Bannard (Bannard didn't really pursue a career in show business), The year, 1967, in this dark decay of urban New York setting of a movie with Tony Musante and a young Martin Sheen as criminal punks, but also with a well known cast, Brock Peters, Ruby Dee, Jack Gilford, Mike Kellin  et al, it's called  The Incident, released November 7 1967,

Both Pfc's on leave, or maybe a pass, 1st Army right, looks like Inf Discs, as inaccurate that is, unless they're Infantry AIT Trainees from Dix on a Pass as Bannard's character, Pfc. Phillip Carmatti, is from New York while Bridges, Pfc. Felix Teflinger is from Oklahoma and is Carmatti's best buddy and takes his pass with him to see NY NY.                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incident_(1967_film)#Cast

Th.jpg.1e5f6d68c81915e8ec86c937c922290c.jpg

George Kennedy as a sergeant and James MacArthur (wearing the 37th Infantry Division SSI) as Rodger Young in the 1964 episode of "The Great Adventure" on CBS. Rodger Young was a member of Company B 148th Infantry and was awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions on New Georgia in 1943.

37th Infantry Division.James MacArthur.jpg

Salvage Sailor
2 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

George Kennedy as a sergeant and James MacArthur (wearing the 37th Infantry Division SSI) as Rodger Young in the 1964 episode of "The Great Adventure" on CBS. Rodger Young was a member of Company B 148th Infantry and was awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions on New Georgia in 1943.

37th Infantry Division.James MacArthur.jpg

Nice one Sean

RODGER W. YOUNG

CONFLICT/ERA: WORLD WAR II
UNIT:  148TH INFANTRY, 37TH INFANTRY DIVISION
MEDAL OF HONOR ACTION DATE: JULY 31, 1943
MEDAL OF HONOR ACTION PLACE: NEW GEORGIA

CITATION

On 31 July 1943, the infantry company of which Pvt. Young was a member, was ordered to make a limited withdrawal from the battle line in order to adjust the battalion's position for the night. At this time, Pvt. Young's platoon was engaged with the enemy in a dense jungle where observation was very limited. The platoon suddenly was pinned down by intense fire from a Japanese machine gun concealed on higher ground only 75 yards away. The initial burst wounded Pvt. Young. As the platoon started to obey the order to withdraw, Pvt. Young called out that he could see the enemy emplacement, whereupon he started creeping toward it. Another burst from the machine gun wounded him the second time. Despite the wounds, he continued his heroic advance, attracting enemy fire and answering with rifle fire. When he was close enough to his objective, he began throwing hand grenades, and while doing so was hit again and killed. Pvt. Young's bold action in closing with this Japanese pillbox, and thus diverting its fire, permitted his platoon to disengage itself, without loss, and was responsible for several enemy casualties.

MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENT RODGER W. YOUNG

AWARDED POSTHUMOUSLY: YES
PRESENTATION DATE & DETAILS: JANUARY 17, 1944
FORT KNOX, KENTUCKY, PRESENTED BY MAJ. GEN. CHARLES SCOTT TO HIS FAMILY
BORN: APRIL 28, 1918, TIFFIN, SENECA COUNTY, OH, UNITED STATES
DIED: JULY 31, 1943, NEW GEORGIA, SOLOMON ISLANDS
BURIED: MCPHERSON CEMETERY (PM) (2), CLYDE, OH, UNITED STATES
LOCATION OF MEDAL: RUTHERFORD B. HAYES PRESIDENTIAL CENTER, FREMONT, OH

Rodger Young MOH 001.jpg

On 6/3/2012 at 1:23 PM, patches said:

IS PARIS BURNING ? The 1966 epic. Here we see the two 4th Division GIs, I believe they were from the 4th Reconnaissance Troop Mecz, Sgt Warren played by Anthony Perkins and his buddy a Private named Charlie played by Skip Ward, as per usual we see the ubiquitous M2 Carbines that were forever being used in War Movies from the post war period well into the 80s, as wearing the M43 Field Jacket instead of the more accurate M41,plus Charlie has the post 1952 bracket chin straps on his pot.

This still is one that was taken right before Sgt Warren is killed by a sniper's bullet as he lets his guard down by daydreaming and fantasizing about always wanting to visit Paris as he sips a glass of wine handed to him by a happy barkeep, I always thought this was a sad scene, and for some reason always moved by it.

post-34986-1338754902.jpg

Came across another view of the above sequence and a later scene where the IVY Division patch is now seen on Anthony Perkins. Hey for once they're using the correct BAZOOKA a late-sh war M9  2.36 one, and not the post war SUPER BAZOOKA one always expects to see 1285427989_emoticonsmile.png.260d9a226bc49efaec36e1e8445ce39e.png

Is_Paris_Burning-M1Carbine-2.jpg

Is_Paris_Burning-Bazooka-4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Robert Walker with Donna Reed in the wartime released SEE HERE, PRIVATE HARGROVE, March 1944 it was first shown. Walker as Hargrove we see is wearing the Army Ground Forces patch, he also is wearing on the cap the legit DI for a Replacement Training Center, I forgot which one.

jkk.jpg

One more Army Ground Forces patch sighting, though by the time this movie was shot, 1951, it was redesignated U.S. Army Field Forces. The movie is GI JANE 1951, actress is Jean Porter.

Jea.jpg

3 hours ago, patches said:

One more Army Ground Forces patch sighting, though by the time this movie was shot, 1951, it was redesignated U.S. Army Field Forces. The movie is GI JANE 1951, actress is Jean Porter.

Jea.jpg

Ah Miss Porter did some Pin Up stuff in the Big One WW TWO. In 1948 she got married to director Edward Dmytryk, they stayed married till Edward Dmytryk's death in 1999 at age 90, Porter herself passed in January 2018 at 95.

Here's some of her pics, one where she is chosen as Miss PT BOAT.

jeapotter1.jpg

c297b189f640870d3a4e7f12bd58c5f2.jpg

537fc29819ab1526314cb9f85ce67573.jpg

10 hours ago, patches said:

Robert Walker with Donna Reed in the wartime released SEE HERE, PRIVATE HARGROVE, March 1944 it was first shown. Walker as Hargrove we see is wearing the Army Ground Forces patch, he also is wearing on the cap the legit DI for a Replacement Training Center, I forgot which one.

jkk.jpg

The DI is for Field Arty Replacement Training Center

On 11/12/2013 at 8:39 PM, patches said:

The 7th Army as seen on Gene Kelly with Cyd Charisse in a 1955 musical movie called it's Always Fair Weather, Gene is a M/Sgt, no too shabby :lol:

E9CC6ED9-508F-4861-9144-3FA64D5FDA6B_w26

Found more photos from the 1955 musical It's Always Fair Weather  since I last posted this, Kelly as Master Sergeant Ted Riley and his buddies are Combat Infantrymen 3rd Inf Div WWII Vets.

loii.png

oio.JPG

• 2 months later...
BILL THE PATCH

The one kelly is wearing looks like a od bdr to me,

7 hours ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

The one kelly is wearing looks like a od bdr to me,

Maybe right.

Capture.PNG

tcapture.png

1 minute ago, patches said:

Maybe right.

Capture.PNG

tcapture.png

Or maybe a khaki Edge???

Here's a couple of Flat Edges with AG 44 Border where we see a smidgen of a Khaki edge.

k00.jpg

k00k.jpg

• 1 month later...

Two from movies I have to admit I never seen.

The AC patch on John Hodiak, a wartime movie Sunday Dinner For A Soldier, released December 1944, Hodiak with Co Star Anne Baxter there, in 1946 these two get married in real life, they had one child, unfortunately it doesn't last, years later Baxter blames herself for the divorce, I think she was really devastated by his sudden death a couple of years after they broke up, Hodiak having a heart attack at the age 41,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Dinner_for_a_Soldier

sunday dinner for a soldier.jpg

And a film noir murder mystery, Crossfire from 1947, Edward Dmytryk directs, it was nominated for Five Academy awards

Best Picture - Adrian Scott, producer

Best Director - Edward Dmytryk

Best Supporting Actor - Robert Ryan

Best Supporting Actress - Gloria Grahame

Best Writing, Adapted Screenplay -

The Washington District as we see, Gloria Grahame with George Cooper as the GI.

grahame-and-cooper crossfire 1947.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Found this great up close shot of Steve McQueen in that 1963 movie Soldier in the Rain where we see the AG44 6th Army patch they all wear. Movie filmed at Fort Ord California where 6th Army Troop Units were indeed stationed.

ts-l1600.jpgvlcsnap863333.jpg.782e45b30bb1a484256c0b735f20b19b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Colonel Roderick Decker in T.V. show The A Team, wearing The Cav combat patch with I believe the AIRBORNE Tab of the 1st Brigade (Airborne) and 6th Army as an organizational one

roderick decker.jpgDecker.jpg.053d5ed6ba632e06303b3bc5c43c9679.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Here's an unknown actor playing a paratrooper, with Abn cap patches on both the hat and the shoulder sleeve, the movie is since you went away, with Joseph cotton and Betty grable

IMG_20210809_192543740.jpg

4 hours ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

Here's an unknown actor playing a paratrooper, with Abn cap patches on both the hat and the shoulder sleeve, the movie is since you went away, with Joseph cotton and Betty Grable

IMG_20210809_192543740.jpg

1975055658_emoticonlaugh.png.8f68414682327997ebad2ac9fe0a13a5.png

Good catch Billy.

• 1 month later...
BILL THE PATCH

Here we see Glen Ford and Robert Stack in is Paris burning, odd that they put the veterans administration patch on Glen Ford,  Stack has 1st army. 

IMG_20211002_223414881.jpg