Hollywood Patches # 2

patches

Found another, the 24th Infantry Division again, this from a 1952 movie intitled Japanese War Bride, the actor in uniform is Don Taylor, a fella who was in quite a few war movies some of them being Battleground, Flying Leathernecks, Stalag 17. I best remember him as the EX GI Infantry WWII vet turned NYPD Detective in the 1948 movie Naked City. Taylor was in the service during the war, he was in the Air Corps and got his first acting gig in the service in the both the Broadway play and movie Winged Victory, the wartime moral booster celebrating the Army Air Forces.

post-34986-1339124811.jpg

This from the 1952 Movie Back at the Front. Here we see the Japan Logistics Command being worn by a smiling and apparently hoodwinked officer, he thinks he's dancing with a Geisha Girl, :lol: silly guy it's really Tom Ewell in Drag :w00t:

post-34986-1339890033.jpg

9th Armored Division "Bridge at Remagen" (1969) with George Segal, Ben Gazzara and Robert Vaughn

I liked the scavenger Angel played by Ben Gazzara in the movie.

When I was a kid, I thought I would like all the "souvenirs" just laying there to pick up. I never thought about it until much later what it would be like to actually do that in real life.

Lt Hartman: [sees Angelo stealing items off corpses] You know something, Angel? You're a pig.

Sgt Angelo: [grins] I love you too... sir.

post-6395-1339911456.jpg

William Holden as Col. Frederick in "The Devil's Brigade."

Very nice, to bad Holden is wearing what appears to be a late 1940s,1950s OD#7 necktie and a 60s Tan Poplin shirt :lol:

Ran in to this one, another from Band Of Brothers, David Swimmer's Captain Sobel, at Camp Toccoa, the GHQ shoulder patch and 506th Parachute Infantry Para-Dice pocket patch figures prominently on his A2 jacket. This is the unforgetable scene where is gives Pvt Malarkey a chewing out.

Name?"

"Malarkey, Donald G."

"Malarkey? Malarkey's slang for bull/s/h/i/t isn't it?"

"Yes sir!"

"Rust on the butt plate hinge spring Pvt. poppycock. Revoked

post-34986-1340555523.jpg

This one from Good Morning Vietnam ! the Vietnam in country use of the Pocket Hanger for Shoulder Sleeve Insignias is seen, in this case MACV, being worn by the late JT Walsh playing one Sergeant Major Dickerson. While he is wearing the pocket hanger in the correct spot, to bad the consulant/wardrobe guys didn't notice he is wearing the Blue Rope on the wrong side :lol:

post-34986-1340649005.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice patches but most likey the wrong Division, the 8th Inf Division was not in the Ardennes region, that these civilians are German and citzens of the Reich and living in the Ardennes, means they would live in the Eupen-Malmedy area of the Ardennes, this is were Germans lived as this area was a part of Germany till 1919, afterwards it became a part of Belgium, It's states in the story that is based on that the Family was originaly from Aachen, but were resettled after their building they were living in got destroyed in a Bombing raid, it was most likey they wrre sent to the German Speaking region of the Ardennes to live.

Came upon this one earlier whilst looking up some info on the late, great Earnest Borgnine. It's the ETO Advanced-Base patch as seen here in "The Dirty Dozen".

post-8022-1341902414.jpg

Harvy Lembeck wearing the AAF patch in some 1961 comedy movie called The Last Time I saw Archie, it was with Robert Mitchum as we see, and also Jack Webb. It says period of when the Movie takes place is Late WWII, but as we see it would be wrong for them to have Discs on the Shirt Collars, as they only came out quite awhile after VJ day in 1946, not while the wr was still in progess.

post-34986-1341945038.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Major Lily wearing the US Army Service Command patch in the 1990 television movie The Incident.

Funny he looks like a Private :lol: Where's his Rank and BOS on the collar :w00t:

blitzkrieg gsd

Dont have a pic but I think Clint Eastwood as Gunny Hightower in Heart break ridge isi the best. By best I mean he really made a good gunny sgt in that dress green uniform. Boy he must of had every medal bar on that rack in Hollywood. I have to say though he made it look good if you where to imagine a gunny sgt in the USMC that's what I would think of. We should do a thread about movie medal bars next. I would love to see gunny Hightowers medal bar broke down. I'm in if you want to start it.

The next two from Men in War, the second ( dowdloaded them out of order) is a rather blury one with the old 1st Cavalry Division Colonel, shell shocked, one his staff an NCO played Aldo Ray has straped him into a Jeep seat, of note is the use of Marine Corps covers by both Ryan and the Colonel, this will be apparent in other stills from this movie, in that you will see the seams down the front. In the first one, here we see the 1st Cav patch on the crazed Aldo Ray giving a butt to a North Korean, right before he shoots him or something happens where he shot, can't remember. I do remember the one scene where Rays charactor sees a group of soldiers in GI uniforms with GI weapons on a hill top, and kills them all saying their Gooks, the Platoon leader ( Ryan says WHAT ARE YOU DOING or something to that affect as Ray kills them) the dead Troops roll down the hill and we see they are korean which justifies Rays action HELLO ! they were most likely ROK'S ! funny they did'nt mention that at all in the movie that South Korean troops wore U.S. uniforms and carried M1s and Carbines and BARs :think:

Found two more from Men in War.

post-34986-1343365363.jpg

post-34986-1343365478.jpg

Here's two with Van Johnson dancing it up , both differant wartime movies and both AAF patches, first is the Thrill of Romance with Ester Williams, the second is from Weekend at the Waldorf shmoozing with I think Lana Turner .

post-34986-1343578174.jpg

post-34986-1343578186.jpg

This one is a rare showing of a Marine Corps patch being worn, here we see the 1st Marine Division, Van Johnson again as a fictional Medal of Honor Winner ( OOH What he said :lol: ) Sergeant Michael Hannlon in the 1946 musical comedy No Leave, No Love.

post-34986-1343578726.jpg

Clark Gable no it's not HIS uniform, but the one he wore as Brig. Gen. K.C. 'Casey' Dennis in Command Decision, one of the great's made on the AAC in WWII. Walter Pigeon's Character Maj. Gen. Roland Goodlow Kane appears to be wearing an English Bullion 8th AF patch.

post-34986-1343579163.jpg

James Brolin in the 1972 film "Skyjacked". I had just arrived in Germany in 1972, I remember going to the Post Theater and watching that film, and when they discovered James Brolin was the hijacker and wearing Class A's adorning the Big Red One, the whole theater went insane, you could of heard us yelling all the way to the States! :w00t:

I looked all over for a snapshot of him in those Class A's, only found this clip on youtube, you have to look quick to get a glimps of the 1st I.D. patch. If anybody out there can find a decent photo of him wearing the BRO, please feel free to post. ;)

Two more 6th Army patches the first, well that Robert Wagner with Ann Francis and Walter Pidgeon, but in the second one, who is that Armor Officer ? :D these are from the 1956 Movie The Rack, another one involving former Officer POWs held by the Chinks.

post-34986-1343699021.jpg

post-34986-1343699032.jpg