DESERT STORM DCU'S

jim2

ABNRANGER1-75
I've been collecting Desert Storm items since May of 1991. For me, it didn't matter if it was US, Iraqi, Saudi Arabian, Egyptian, British, etc. I bought it. Here are a few of my 6 -colors I have laying out. The first one is a modified 6-color jacket. These very rarely pop up and I always pick them up when I find them. Since 1991, I've found 3. If you ever have a chance to pick one up and you think it is original, pick it up. I think these were used by SEALs, Army Special Forces, etc. Somewhere, I even have two pair of Saudi Arabian boots that they used for cross border operations.

Awesome top! Very nice!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Although not a DCU, I thought this one was interesting enough to add here. The vet was a reservist who was called to active duty during Desert Storm and served at MacDill AFB with SOCCOM.

post-203-1266594980.jpg

• 1 month later...
Mercenary25

Looks like 1st Armored Division, hard to say because I could barely read the patch due to bad photography.

In August 1990, Iraq invaded Kuwait. Army units were dispatched to protect Saudi Arabia. Later in the fall, President George H. W. Bush made the decision to deploy American heavy forces on a massive scale to eject the Iraqis from Kuwait. The lead unit for this deployment was the VII Corps from Germany. 1st Armored Division was one of four American heavy divisions assigned to VII Corps in theater. In the ground attack of the Gulf War, the Division led the VII Corps' flank attack on the Iraqis. It had the duty of destroying the elite Iraqi Republican Guard units. In eighty nine hours, the division moved 250 kilometers, destroyed 768 vehicles, and captured 1,064 prisoners of war, at the cost of four dead. It returned to Germany on 8 May 1991, and celebrated with a visit from Vice President Dan Quayle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Armored_D...(United_States)

As Mercenary says, it is hard to tell from the photo angle. But the patch could be the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Armored Division. Looks like there are officer insignia and rank on the collars, maybe MI? If so, then I would wonder about the CIB. Unless he was prior Infantry, as enlisted, or junior officer before going MI. He would have had to have earned that in either Grenada or Panama. And Panama would be cutting it close, time wise. Is there a combat patch on the right shoulder?

As Mercenary says, it is hard to tell from the photo angle. But the patch could be the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Armored Division. Looks like there are officer insignia and rank on the collars, maybe MI? If so, then I would wonder about the CIB. Unless he was prior Infantry, as enlisted, or junior officer before going MI. He would have had to have earned that in either Grenada or Panama. And Panama would be cutting it close, time wise. Is there a combat patch on the right shoulder?

I think it is the branch insignia for General Staff. HAve you received the coat yet? Is this the insignia?

post-203-1270054801.gif

I think it is the branch insignia for General Staff. HAve you received the coat yet? Is this the insignia?

post-203-1270054801.gif

Upon closer inspection, I think you have nailed it. Hard to discern with the angle, but could the rank be Fullbird? I know it is just speculating for now, but it seems to be spread out a bit.

It is either 1st or 3rd Armored Division. The 2nd Armored Division SSI for current unit of assignment was worn on the chest above the left pocket on field uniforms. Both of my Desert Storm 5-color DBDU's have the SSI positioned there with the 2nd AD so-called "combat patch" on the right shoulder.

post-943-1270062372.jpg

Mercenary25

If this DCU has no combat patch. Could he pin on a CIB to the uniform at ending of war and returning home?

atb, excuse my ignorance, but how come I noticed some armored divisions like to apply patch above Army tape instead of left arm like most of divisions do? I've seen some of BDUs like that.

All my desert utilities (DCUs, if you like) are in an A-bag in my storage locker but I do have a couple pix of me wearing them dirong DS/DS.

This one was taken in Kuwait City with my "Kuwaiti Commandos" after reoccupation, Feb 91. I think you can pick me out w/captured Iraqi Ak-47 and my 5th SFG NCOIC is second from right.

post-1107-1270120086.jpg

This one is not a good picture and only shows part of my chocolate chips. It was taken in about Sep 90 during Gerald McRainey(Maj Dad)'s USO tour.

post-1107-1270120568.jpg