DESERT STORM DCU'S

jim2

This coat has the 8th Div patch as well as the 3rd AD (both were mentioned in previous posts). IIRC there was some crossover between the two divisions; I guess the troops kept the 8th ID patch on while serving with the 3rd.

Click to enlarge

dscn2194nf2.th.jpg

dscn2287dp7.th.jpg

I was going to sell this but now I think I'll hang on to it.

I'm surprised there's any interest in DESERT STORM stuff. I've got an entire A-bag full of my Chocolate Chip BDUs from my time with SOCCENT in DESERET SHIELD/DESERT STORM (some coffee stain ones from later deployments as well). The bag is in the storage locker but I will try to look for it next time I go over there.

We didn't use name or service tapes in SOCCENT but, instead, wore aircrew style leather name tags with rank and name, mounted on velcro over the left pocket. We also wore an American flag patch and some of us wore the unofficial SOCCENT patch on each sleeve, also on velcro. The patch was unofficial because it was submitted but disapproved because, as a component of CENTCOM, we were not authorized one.....we wore it except when Swartzkopf or one of his minions was out visiting SOCCENT.

I do have my helmet here and have attached a couple pics of it. We didn't wear them much and, in fact, I didn't wear it at all until I was deployerd out to 1st MEF as a SOCCENT LNO where the helmet was required. It's fitted with the early airborne kit that includes a foam neck pad, two extra straps to stabilize the helmet, and a foam doughnut that fits on the top of the suspension.

The big ugly black thing is actually an old boot sock that I cut to use as a protective sleeve for the store-bought ski goggles I used for dust goggles. The rank is a metal collar oak leaf with the prongs bent over to hold it on. I was a Major then but when I deployed to the desert again later, I was a Lt Col and I just used a magic marker to blacken it.

post-1107-1200783294.jpg

post-1107-1200783284.jpg

DCUs worn by BG Thomas P. Jones, Deputy Commanding General, 22nd Support Command (TAA). He was deployed to Saudi Arabia in December 1990 and returned to the US one year later.

post-203-1200922545.jpg

post-203-1200922555.jpg

I've been collecting Desert Storm items since May of 1991. For me, it didn't matter if it was US, Iraqi, Saudi Arabian, Egyptian, British, etc. I bought it. Here are a few of my 6 -colors I have laying out. The first one is a modified 6-color jacket. These very rarely pop up and I always pick them up when I find them. Since 1991, I've found 3. If you ever have a chance to pick one up and you think it is original, pick it up. I think these were used by SEALs, Army Special Forces, etc. Somewhere, I even have two pair of Saudi Arabian boots that they used for cross border operations.

The life suport guys in the 1st SOW det attached to SOCCENT during DESERT SHIELD/STORM modified several of the Pararescue guys DCU jackets with these sleeve pockets. I have one that they modified for me before I left to be an LNO at 1st MEF.

DCUs worn by BG Thomas P. Jones, Deputy Commanding General, 22nd Support Command (TAA). He was deployed to Saudi Arabia in December 1990 and returned to the US one year later.

post-203-1200922545.jpg

post-203-1200922555.jpg

The material looks to be rip-stop. We didn't start getting the rip-stop until late 92 or early 93 but I guess when you're a General,things happen faster for you. :)

I never found these DCU's intresting enough to buy one, wasnt it that I got infected with the DCU bug around 2 months ago after seeing Ken his helmet setups thumbsup.gif . I have a OIF helmet setup now, and now I want some DCU's.

I wish I had bought them when I was in TX, omg there were mountains of those jackets pinch.gif:blink:

Here are several Desert Storm and OIF era coats that I've located. As others have mentioned I try to get ones that are complete with no removed patches/tapes. Found at various surplus stores or from the vet.

Here are a few...

First is a Navy jacket in very good condition. This is the non rip stop version. With custom name and branch of service in English and Arabic. Has the cleaners tag stapled to it.

post-141-1201326327.jpg

Another 101st. I have a couple from this soldier. Both have custom pocket on left sleeve. He apparently did not use one jacket as it still has the bar code tag on it.

post-141-1201327369.jpg

post-141-1201327392.jpg

81st with name and branch tapes embroidered on tan material, not the usual tape. Not sure if the SSI is standard issue or not.

post-141-1201327744.jpg

post-141-1201327775.jpg

Close Combat Uniform jacket. This is one of the fore runners to the ACU. No name tape or other insignia, but the soldier apparently wrote his name in it. I got a pair of the CCU trousers as well which I think came from the same soldier.

post-141-1201328023.jpg

Ranger BDU. The name tape and rank collar insignia have been removed- wish it was complete, but cheap enough. It has enough starch it can stand up on it's own.

post-141-1201328347.jpg

post-141-1201328359.jpg