DESERT STORM DCU'S

jim2

I have over the 6 or 7 years picked up some desert storm dcu's when I come across them and they catch my eye. Here are a few. Please post yours if you have some.

Here is my most recent purchase. The seller obtained this from the veteran who served with the 2nd ACR who was a helicopter crew chief during the Gulf War; his unit flew missions supporting the ground war.

post-100-1200606657.jpg

This is another one that I purchased directly from the Vet via ebay. This veteran was a 1st Sgt that had served from 1966-1992. He sent me an email stating that he was in the only battalion of the 8th that was sent over to reinforce another brigade. The name tape and Army tape are theatre made. The 3 color dcu has a manufacture date of 1990.

post-100-1200607214.jpg

IMO Desert Storm DCUs are overlooked. Like I wrote somewhere else, I sold my DS collection in the late 90s and I regret it.

Does someone remember the fantastic website put up by a guy from Georgia IIRC ?

Tons of SF, SEALs, Rangers, CCTs, etc...

IMO Desert Storm DCUs are overlooked. Like I wrote somewhere else, I sold my DS collection in the late 90s and I regret it.

Does someone remember the fantastic website put up by a guy from Georgia IIRC ?

Tons of SF, SEALs, Rangers, CCTs, etc...

Andrei I agree these uniforms are overlooked which makes them quite affordable. I do remember seeing that site you mentioned, but for the life of me cant remember the name.

jim2-

If you ever want to get rid of any or all of the 3rd Armored Division uniforms, please let me know. Oddly, I have so far been unable to find BDUs, "chocolate chips" or DCUs with 3rd Armored patches. I have plenty of WWII and 50s through 80s 3AD uniforms, but none of the newer ones!

Steve

Lieutenant Colonel who served with the 35th Signal Brigade (Airborne) in Operation Iraqi Freedom, with prior service with the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). Note the Signal Corps insignia with the "35" above it. I've obscured the officer's name as he is still on active duty.

7x9qkav.jpg

73d14ix.jpg

6wqh6hv.jpg

I've been collecting Desert Storm items since May of 1991. For me, it didn't matter if it was US, Iraqi, Saudi Arabian, Egyptian, British, etc. I bought it. Here are a few of my 6 -colors I have laying out. The first one is a modified 6-color jacket. These very rarely pop up and I always pick them up when I find them. Since 1991, I've found 3. If you ever have a chance to pick one up and you think it is original, pick it up. I think these were used by SEALs, Army Special Forces, etc. Somewhere, I even have two pair of Saudi Arabian boots that they used for cross border operations.

iraqi_047.jpg

This is an unusual piece that I picked up at a flea market. The US Coast Guard had a limited contingent in the Gulf region. They mainly did port security and the like.

iraqi_051.jpg

The last one is an interesting one. I have no idea about it. I picked up it up at a local flea market from a lady who was selling off all of her husband's uniforms and equipment. Because of money constraints, I just bought one of his jackets. Can anyone help me make sense of this jacket. It has SF and Airborne tab on the left sleeve with no patch underneath. Any idea?

iraqi_049.jpg

The last one is an interesting one. I have no idea about it. I picked up it up at a local flea market from a lady who was selling off all of her husband's uniforms and equipment. Because of money constraints, I just bought one of his jackets. Can anyone help me make sense of this jacket. It has SF and Airborne tab on the left sleeve with no patch underneath. Any idea?

I had a BDU that should have belonged to this officer too. Same name and patches with tabs on the sleeve but with the crossed arrows of the SF as BOS.

I also wondered why he did not wear major organization SSI.

Oddly, I have so far been unable to find BDUs, "chocolate chips" or DCUs with 3rd Armored patches. I have plenty of WWII and 50s through 80s 3AD uniforms, but none of the newer ones!

A lot of the units sent to Desert Storm from Germany never received DBDU's in theater. One friend of mine was issued a pair as he was leaving to wear to the homecoming ceremony. There were a lot of bad feelings about the headquarters types in Riyadh all being outfitted in desert camouflage while troops on the front lines were still in woodland BDU's!

Bill

Manchu Warrior

I found this top laying on a pile cloth at my ex-wife's house, I knew she had to be good for something, just kidding. I traded her husband a pair of greasy three color DCU pants that I had in my van. He was happy and I was happier.

post-1412-1200703157.jpg

If you find the BDUs and DCUs with the American flag patch, does that mean the soldier saw service over seas?

At one time the American flag was only worn while serving in a coalition force; e.g. Desert Shield/Storm, Bosnia, Multinational Force & Observers (MNFO), OEF/OIF, etc. Most of the places you would wear BBDU's or DCU's, you would also wear the flag. I think selected units such as the Southern European Task Force (SETAF) in Italy might have worn them on their BDU's as well.

However, sometime around 2004 the decision was made that everyone would wear the flag on their BDU's regardless of where they were stationed. The flag is also always worn on the new ACU's.

Bill