DESERT STORM DCU'S

jim2

f0x2yv.jpg2wex7ur.jpg

Was the whole division out there or just element's. As i can recall it was never to my knowlege metion in the press.

The 8th ID was deactivated in long ago and wasn't around for Desert Storm and was definitely not around when we started wearing flags under our former combat unit SSI. Likely a throw together.

Elements of the both the 3rd and 8th ID were deployed to the theater of operations for DS/DS. The 8th ID was inactivated (deactivate is the incorrect term for Army units-- they inactivate, bombs are deactivated) in January 1992. For Desert Shield/Desert Storm, these 8th ID units were deployed to Saudi Arabia: 2nd Battalion, 29th Field Artillery; 12th Engineers; 4th Battalion, 34th Armor and A Battery, 5th Battalion, 3rd Air Defense Artillery.

Here is one from OIF that has a reversed theatre made 1st Cav patch.

post-100-1200782866.jpg81st inf Brigade, Washington Nat'l Guard on the left shoulder.

mayralphie

This is from the 8th ID history from the internet:

With the collapse of "the Wall" in 1989, it would seem that the need for large units of mechanized forces was over. For some Pathfinder Division units, their work was not done. During Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm the following subordinate units of the 8th Infantry Division (Mechanized) deployed to Southwest Asia:

The 2-29th Field Artillery Battalion from Baumholder served as part of VII Corps Artillery. The 12th Engineer Battalion from Anderson Barracks in Dexheim was deployed with the 3rd Armored Division. The 4-34th Armor out of Lee Barracks in Mainz deployed with the Ready First Combat Team. The 5th Battalion, 3rd Air Defense Artillery home based at McCully Barracks in Wackernheim deployed in support of 3rd Armored Division. Also TF 3-77 Armor from Mannheim deployed to Southwest Asia.

Most 8th Infantry Division soldiers had returned to home station by the end of May, 1991. The 3-77 Armor redeployed in August of that year. Their mission completed in both Europe and Southwest Asia, the Golden Arrow Division prepared for deactivation. Their colors were cased on January 17, 1992

• 3 months later...
Misanthropic_Gods

Here is my USAF DBDU with theater made insignia for the 4404 Composite Wing (P), while not exactly Desert Storm, it is for Operation Southern Watch.

2cb65d8b.jpg

3d13dd3e.jpg

c57ac865.jpg

The 4404th Wing (Provisional) was the air component responsible for enforcing the no-fly zone over southern Iraq. The wing was headquartered at Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, and is comprised of combat aircraft, including F-15s, F-16s and C-130s. The wing was also responsible for operations at other sites in the Arabian Gulf region, including Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and Kuwait. More than 5,000 airmen make up the wing, which reports to Joint Task Force-Southwest Asia, a component of United States Central Command at MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.

The mission of the 4404th Wing (Provisional) was to "...serve as the front line defense against possible Iraqi aggression. To enforce UN Security Council Resolutions 687, 688, and 949 and protect US forces stationed in Kuwait, United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia" The 4404th Wing (Provisional) consisted of six provisional groups and has over 5,000 personnel assigned at nine locations in three countries. From the start of Operation SOUTHERN WATCH, the Wing was structured and manned to carry out a temporary mission, insuring that Iraq complied with the post-Operation DESERT STORM United Nations sanctions. It is manned primarily by airmen who rotate on temporary duty assignments.

Although the 4404th Wing (Provisional) activated under Air Combat Command [ACC] on 2 June, 1992, on 13 March 1991 Headquarters Tactical Air Command [TAC] TAC activated the 4404th Tactical Fighter Wing (Provisional) at Al Kharj Air Base. The original assets of the 4404th TFW came from the 4th TFW (Provisional), which had operated during the Gulf War. In June of the same year the wing relocated to King Abdul Aziz Air Base, Dahran, where it was officially activated as the 4404th Wing (Provisional) on 2 August 1991. After a terrorist truck bomb killed 19 airmen at Dhahran, the wing was ordered to move to a safer location within the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Prince Sultan [Al Kharj] Air Base was chosen as the relocation site.

The only one I have- USAF. Came with matching helmet cover... Way outside of what I usually collect, so know nothing about it. Found it at a flea market and was having a slow day so I picked it up.

post-6517-1316304102.jpg

• 8 months later...
This is another one that I purchased directly from the Vet via ebay. This veteran was a 1st Sgt that had served from 1966-1992. He sent me an email stating that he was in the only battalion of the 8th that was sent over to reinforce another brigade. The name tape and Army tape are theatre made. The 3 color dcu has a manufacture date of 1990.

post-100-1200607214.jpg The only battalion of the 8th ID that went to the desert was the 12th Engr Bn. As far as I can figure anyway. The only Co. of 12th engr that didn't go was Echo Co, my old outfit! Of course I had been out for at least ten years.

• 2 months later...
Second,

DCU from a soldier of the 2nd Armored Division, "Tiger Brigade" attached to the 1st Cav Division.

Stephan

post-131-1218028601.jpg

Just some clarification on this uniform.

I'm not sure if all brigades of the 2AD wore their unit patch over their left side of chest. I was in 3rd brigade of 2AD, which was designated 2AD (fwd). We wore our patch on left side of chest.

The 2AD (fwd) was attached to 1ID for the Gulf War as their 3rd brigade element. We entered Kuwait from the west.

The 1st brigade of the 2AD, AKA the Tiger Brigade, deployed and was attached to the 1st MarDiv and entered Kuwait from the south.

This might be a 2AD (fwd) uniform.

• 2 years later...

Ranger BDU. The name tape and rank collar insignia have been removed- wish it was complete, but cheap enough. It has enough starch it can stand up on it's own.

attachicon.gifP1010289.JPG

attachicon.gifP1010290.JPG

Why does the IMCOM patch have a ranger tab? Sorry for the stupid question, but I won't know if I don't ask and will be ignorant forever!

Why does the IMCOM patch have a ranger tab? Sorry for the stupid question, but I won't know if I don't ask and will be ignorant forever!

The IMCOM patch doesn't have a Ranger tab, the soldier who wore this BDU had a Ranger tab. It's an individual qualification, not associated with a unit like an Airborne tab is. Once you earn the Ranger tab, Sapper tab or Special Forces tab, you wear them regardless of what unit you're assigned to.

The IMCOM patch doesn't have a Ranger tab, the soldier who wore this BDU had a Ranger tab. It's an individual qualification, not associated with a unit like an Airborne tab is. Once you earn the Ranger tab, Sapper tab or Special Forces tab, you wear them regardless of what unit you're assigned to.

Thanks!

WOW! That's an awesome uniform. Mustard stain!

For those that don't know: The "Mustard stain" (the gold star in the middle of the jump wings) means combat jump. From the old-style 2nd Ranger Batt scroll I'd guess Grenada. By the time Panama came around, they were using the current scroll style.

Mustard stains are very rare. Since WWII there have been (I think) fewer than 10 combat jumps. 2 in Korea, 1 in Vietnam, 1 in Grenada, 1 in Panama, 2 (I think In OEF (Afghanistan) and 1 in Iraq. In most of the above jumps the total number of troops dropped was no more than a couple of battalions. So getting a jacket with a genuine mustard stain has to be rare.

In 1995 I met a Major who had two mustard stains, meaning he had jumped both into Grenada in '83 and Panama in '89.

WOW! That's an awesome uniform. Mustard stain!

For those that don't know: The "Mustard stain" (the gold star in the middle of the jump wings) means combat jump. From the old-style 2nd Ranger Batt scroll I'd guess Grenada. By the time Panama came around, they were using the current scroll style.

Mustard stains are very rare. Since WWII there have been (I think) fewer than 10 combat jumps. 2 in Korea, 1 in Vietnam, 1 in Grenada, 1 in Panama, 2 (I think In OEF (Afghanistan) and 1 in Iraq. In most of the above jumps the total number of troops dropped was no more than a couple of battalions. So getting a jacket with a genuine mustard stain has to be rare.

In 1995 I met a Major who had two mustard stains, meaning he had jumped both into Grenada in '83 and Panama in '89.

Thanks, I didn't know!

• 1 year later...