DESERT STORM DCU'S

jim2

This is my latest addition. It belonged to a US Navy beach master. The uniform is dated 1983. The beach master unit two patch I believe is theatre made. it has a cut edge & is embroidered on twill. The name tapes are theatre made & are unusual because they are embroidered on nylon.

post-100-1217885252.jpg

CNY Militaria

I don't even collect these, but I got this since I found 4 other sets of this officer's BDU's (3 COL, 1 LTC). This one is dated '84 and is likely from when he was in Desert Storm. At the time, he was the 82nd Airborne Division's G1/Adjutant General. His bio is here-

http://agsssi-www.army.mil/bio_dpty.html

i_591.jpg

• 1 month later...

The Branch is Civil Affairs. There is a 1980 graduate of USMA of this name, first name Thomas who was a captain in '84 in the infantry. Since you cannot branch CA as a 2LT, he might have done it as a captain. Might not even be him, but should be a lead to follow.

• 3 months later...

I don't know if there's a good answer for this, but why do some desert uniforms have very large collars? Also some of the chocolate chip ones had a lining of the same material on the inside upper back. Does anyone know what these differences were about?

VolunteerArmoury
The Branch is Civil Affairs. There is a 1980 graduate of USMA of this name, first name Thomas who was a captain in '84 in the infantry. Since you cannot branch CA as a 2LT, he might have done it as a captain. Might not even be him, but should be a lead to follow.

Civil Affairs for regular Army personnel is a Functional Area meaning the individual is still in his/her branch for management but has this field as an additional. I think it is now an actual branch for Reserves just like Psychological Warfare is now a branch for Reserves (I think) and their branch insignia was just recently approved. Another example is Cavalry. There is a not a branch of Cavalry in the US Army but rather a functional area under Armor which is why they are a 19 series MOS which is a MOS series for Armor. When I was at Ft. Knox not long ago for a DA photo (which they told me to remove my blue discs and shoulder cord for the photo) the guy in front of me who was a 19D Cavalry Scout (my secondary also) was told he should have Armor Branch of Service Insignia rather than Cavalry. The term Branch of Service Insignia is still used in cases of insignia for Functional Areas but they're not branches. Another I think is Public Affairs.

• 5 months later...
Another 101st. I have a couple from this soldier. Both have custom pocket on left sleeve. He apparently did not use one jacket as it still has the bar code tag on it.

P1010280.JPG

P1010281.JPG

Jeez.....another modified example I'll need to find for my collection. I still need a 173rd ABN and NOW a 101st ABN modified jacket. crying.gif Nice modified 101st ABN jacket by the way! thumbsup.gif

Arch

DutchInfid3l

A USAF Post Desert Storm, tan theater made BOS and Patch, and desert style hidden star A1C chevrons. No name tape. Came with matching boonie hat and pants. Though inside the hat has some writing, don't know if anyone here can decipher. Unit maybe?

Patch is the 4404th Wing (Provisional)( Activated 1991-1996)

photobucket004.jpg

photobucket005.jpg

photobucket006.jpg

photobucket007.jpg

photobucket008.jpg

Sgt. Rob P.

Well after looking through this thread I guess I am now "collectable"? I would have never thought so. One comment from someone who was there, I do not recall any one ever having rip stop desert cammie uniforms. However I was a Marine and had little interaction with the Army. But what Army types I came in contact with I remember being outfitted in the choclate chip pattern desert or woodland pattern camies. Woodland camies could be either ripstop or the heavier stuff. I took my ripstop woodlands when sent as they were cooler to wear during the day. Supply gave me a pair of the choclate chip desert type after I got there.

HTH in your authenticating stuff.

Semper Fi, Rob

Second,

DCU from a soldier of the 2nd Armored Division, "Tiger Brigade" attached to the 1st Cav Division.

Stephan

post-131-1218028601.jpg

I have a 6 Color desert uniform to an officer in the 2nd Armored Division, "Tiger Brigade" .

It is interesting to see that on your uniform the US Army tape has been taken from a BDU and that it had been originally only the length of the 2nd Armored SSI.

When applied to the 6 Color uniform, the tape has been unfolded, you can see where the original folds were.

The tape is missing on my uniform and I can not find a replacement tape that can be folded to the width of the 2nd Armored SSI as it would then cover the letters on all the tapes I have spare.

frederik.geudens
I found this top laying on a pile cloth at my ex-wife's house, I knew she had to be good for something, just kidding. I traded her husband a pair of greasy three color DCU pants that I had in my van. He was happy and I was happier.

post-1412-1200703157.jpg

Here's mine. :)

post-5198-1245073937.jpg

bravo_2_zero
Here's mine. :)

post-5198-1245073937.jpg

I like that jacket, i like the print. The amount of brown isn't too much and the lines up so it looks like a continuous brown stripe.

This is my latest addition. It belonged to a US Navy beach master. The uniform is dated 1983. The beach master unit two patch I believe is theatre made. it has a cut edge & is embroidered on twill. The name tapes are theatre made & are unusual because they are embroidered on nylon.

post-100-1217885252.jpg

Not sure why you would think those were theater made. Not sure where they would have had them made. I worked with BMU 2 from 1990 to 1999, and those are standard issue insignia, The BMU2 sleeve patch for the wood land cammies is also made on twill with cut edge. I have several "US Navy" tapes that are printed on green nylon tape. They were issued that way.

Steve Hesson

Not sure why you would think those were theater made. Not sure where they would have had them made. I worked with BMU 2 from 1990 to 1999, and those are standard issue insignia, The BMU2 sleeve patch for the wood land cammies is also made on twill with cut edge. I have several "US Navy" tapes that are printed on green nylon tape. They were issued that way.

Steve Hesson

Steve Thanks for the info. The reason I thought the Bmu 2 patch was theatre made was because of the construction reminds me of some of the current made patches coming out of iraq. And the name tapes I have seen printed on nylon ones, but had not seen embroidered ones, and the embroidery is a little crude on them.

Steve Thanks for the info. The reason I thought the Bmu 2 patch was theatre made was because of the construction reminds me of some of the current made patches coming out of iraq. And the name tapes I have seen printed on nylon ones, but had not seen embroidered ones, and the embroidery is a little crude on them.

Up until 1999 (when I left the Navy, so I don't know for sure now), the Navy actually had no standard for "ground combat" stuff. We wore it, but it generaly came from where ever we could get it. For example, the tapes were generally made at the exchange tailor shop on an as needed basis. Meaning, a new guy reports in and draws his cammies. He would then take them to the exchange and they would crank out the tapes and sew them on along with the BMU2 patch (all the ones I ever saw were on twill, while the BMU1 patches in the Pacific were fully embroidered), which he was handed along with the uniforms.

This was the same for every one in the Navywho wore cammies. Usually you were issued new stuff and as I sail, took them to the NEX and had the stuff put on. I have drawn stuff that had been used and already had the "US Navy" tapes on them. Generally, most commands that wore them did not want them back when you left, but some did want them turned in and reissued them to new guys. So, maybe they do fall into the "Theater Made" category, but that would include being made in San Diego, Virginia Beach, San Francisco, Norfolk, Pearl Horbor......well, you see what I mean. The Nav didn't have some central source for this stuff.

As far as the BMU2 stuff for the First Gulf War being made outside of the US, I worked with them the whole trip, we didn't stop anyplace to get that sort of thing done.

Steve Hesson

• 2 months later...
ABNRANGER1-75
Ranger BDU. The name tape and rank collar insignia have been removed- wish it was complete, but cheap enough. It has enough starch it can stand up on it's own.

post-141-1201328347.jpg

post-141-1201328359.jpg

Very nice top. I think I remember this guy. I saw him at the US Special Operations Museum dedication to the VN Rangers this summer.