Doolittle Raider Medals & Documents Grouping

warpath

Adam Ray Williams 6969211, Master Sergeant

Engineer-Gunner

Completed one year of High School. Entered military service on September 1, 1938 at Charlotte, North Carolina and served with Field Artillery before transfer to Army Air Corps in 1939.

Assigned 37th Bomb Squadron at Barksdale Field, Louisiana. After Tokyo Raid, remained in China-Burma-India Theater until June, 1943. Discharged on July 4, 1945.

Decorations include the Distinguished Flying Cross, Silver Star, Purple Heart, and the Chinese Army, Navy, and Air Corps Medal, Class A, 1st Grade; United Kingdom Distinguished Flying Medal

Born September 27, 1919, Gastonia, North Carolina

Died November 30, 1993

post-3653-1338595904.jpg

United Kingdom Distinguished Flying Medal rim named to A. R. Williams...1 of only 29 awarded to US personnel in WWII

post-3653-1338596177.jpg

KASTAUFFER

NICE! Ive only held one other Doolittle Raider group in my hands. The DFC numbers to the Doolittle Raiders are traceable as well as the number on the Chinese decoration.

Al Gleim had all the research,

Id love to know what #s are on the DFC and Purple Heart. I bet the PH in the high 7X,XXX range.

Kurt

What a special grouping to have. You are very lucky.

Thanks very much for sharing this with us!! :thumbsup:

Not something you see everyday, something I wandered if id ever see an example of. Nice group and congrats on having it.

thanks for showing,

Brandyn

BigJohn#3RD

That is a true Warrior, he could have stayed back in the states doing war bound tours and teaching but chose to go back into the fray. A great example of the Greatest Generation. :salute:

Strength and Honor

De Oppresso Liber

John

That's a good question and he is listed in the gazette as being awarded the medal with no additional details...Jeff Floyd said that there is rarely antything in UK files that give full details (or even partial most times)...I'm reserching the group and hope to discover where and for what action he received his DSM which is named, of course. Ed

Do you have a citation for the DFM, any idea what he got it for?

post-3653-1338677379.jpg

That's a good question and he is listed in the gazette as being awarded the medal with no additional details...Jeff Floyd said that there is rarely antything in UK files that give full details (or even partial most times)...I'm reserching the group and hope to discover where and for what action he received his DSM which is named, of course. Ed

Do you have a citation for the DFM, any idea what he got it for?

DFM rim

post-3653-1338677434.jpg