New US Army Reptile Camo article

mvmhm

This isn't "another" pattern, it has always been part of the current trials.

There have been a few threads here on these trials.

Very eye opening reponses in the link in reguards to this new Camo uniform, I will agree with those who say a new Camo uniform ? ...... What The F... Over !

Manchu Warrior

I am still wondering what was wrong with the woodland pattern? At least in the woods the old BDUs seemed to do the job.

If you look at current world camos, many countries have stuck with their own versions of woodland or ERDL whereas the US has long since abandoned it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

shrapneldude

Silly. Just plain silly.

My personal opinion, however popular or unpopular it may be, is that camouflage is completely unnecessary for about 95% of US troops.

Factor out administration, supply, and any other rear echelon forces, then the Air and Navy troops, you're left with a relatively small contingent of front line combat forces. Now, from my personal experience, it's nearly impossible to "camouflage" a column of conventional infantry troops on a patrol, and it's not even really necessary or particularly helpful, especially if they're in vehicles. All the fancy patterns and expensive R&D behind it can't change the fact that when you're in a hostile area with guns, people know you're there.

There is no reason they can't all wear a solid-color, utility type uniform, OD green for example, for day-to-day operations both stateside and in forward areas. To my limited perspective, the only guys who need camouflage are troops actively engaged in combat, and those involved in special operations, scouting, snipers, etc. You can't tell me a guy tossing MRE cases onto the back of a truck needs to have the latest and greatest hi-speed camo uniform if he's never going to leave the FOB.

This isn't just inane griping - it actually costs the soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines extra money. They have to buy many of their field uniforms, and the annual uniform allowance isn't always enough to cover it, especially if they need to purchase, tailor, and "adorn" a new set of uniforms every time their service adopts a new camo pattern. This is a waste of taxpayer money, and an almost criminal waste of a young soldier's paycheck.

agate hunter
Silly. Just plain silly.

My personal opinion, however popular or unpopular it may be, is that camouflage is completely unnecessary for about 95% of US troops.

Factor out administration, supply, and any other rear echelon forces, then the Air and Navy troops, you're left with a relatively small contingent of front line combat forces. Now, from my personal experience, it's nearly impossible to "camouflage" a column of conventional infantry troops on a patrol, and it's not even really necessary or particularly helpful, especially if they're in vehicles. All the fancy patterns and expensive R&D behind it can't change the fact that when you're in a hostile area with guns, people know you're there.

There is no reason they can't all wear a solid-color, utility type uniform, OD green for example, for day-to-day operations both stateside and in forward areas. To my limited perspective, the only guys who need camouflage are troops actively engaged in combat, and those involved in special operations, scouting, snipers, etc. You can't tell me a guy tossing MRE cases onto the back of a truck needs to have the latest and greatest hi-speed camo uniform if he's never going to leave the FOB.

This isn't just inane griping - it actually costs the soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines extra money. They have to buy many of their field uniforms, and the annual uniform allowance isn't always enough to cover it, especially if they need to purchase, tailor, and "adorn" a new set of uniforms every time their service adopts a new camo pattern. This is a waste of taxpayer money, and an almost criminal waste of a young soldier's paycheck.

well said. i agree 100%

Tailor? Isn't that limited to class "A" uniform coats?

The brass has weighed in on the 'money spent by troops on uniforms', and one of their contributions was the velcro-everywhere uniform. This was designed to "save the soldier money" in sewing costs for name/branch tapes and unit patches.

"Adorn"? The supply sergeant has unit patches and branch tapes, if necessary. Since the ACU arrived, there should be no need for new name tapes with every new uniform.

Johnny Signor

More "typical" Government "waste" nuff said ...............................................................

shrapneldude
Tailor? Isn't that limited to class "A" uniform coats?

The brass has weighed in on the 'money spent by troops on uniforms', and one of their contributions was the velcro-everywhere uniform. This was designed to "save the soldier money" in sewing costs for name/branch tapes and unit patches.

"Adorn"? The supply sergeant has unit patches and branch tapes, if necessary. Since the ACU arrived, there should be no need for new name tapes with every new uniform.

Thanks for those corrections.

I had no idea the Army just handed out free insignia and uniform items to their soldiers - they're for sale in the PX, which is truly stunning if you can get them for free after all! Talk about WASTE... better contact AAFES and let them know nobody is ever going to buy the things in the uniform shop since it's all being given out somewhere else for free! These interchangeable ACU name tapes you mention don't look like they're going to match the new reptilian camo pattern though, so I hope the supply sergeant has plenty of those on hand as well.

To all -- completely disregard my previous comments as I was unaware that it costs the average soldier absolutely nothing to maintain a full set of combat uniforms per Army regulations. I apologize and humbly withdraw any and all criticisms I've made.

Third Herd

Where do you buy stock in the camouflage developers, cloth and uniform makers? The stock market crashes every few weeks, they are the new growth industries

Thanks for those corrections.

I had no idea the Army just handed out free insignia and uniform items to their soldiers - they're for sale in the PX, which is truly stunning if you can get them for free after all! Talk about WASTE... better contact AAFES and let them know nobody is ever going to buy the things in the uniform shop since it's all being given out somewhere else for free! These interchangeable ACU name tapes you mention don't look like they're going to match the new reptilian camo pattern though, so I hope the supply sergeant has plenty of those on hand as well.

To all -- completely disregard my previous comments as I was unaware that it costs the average soldier absolutely nothing to maintain a full set of combat uniforms per Army regulations. I apologize and humbly withdraw any and all criticisms I've made.

Actually, there is significant cost to the the soldier. There is more to a uniform then the current unit patch and the name & Army tape. Any combat patch, special skill badges etc. are all on the soldier. The patches get frayed pretty easily and the name tapes get dirty and then after washing they buckle like a piece of cooked bacon. Replacing the worn items is expensive. The old sew on patches were cheap compared to the velcro patches. A pair of 2nd ID velcro patches are close to fourteen bucks. I have spent more money on maintaining the ACU than I ever did on the BDU. Go into any military clothing sales store on post and you will see soldiers buying plenty of patches, badges uniforms, etc.

The real cost of replacing the existing uniform is the cost of everything else that goes with it, the parkas, rain gear, body armor, ponchos, ruck sacks, MOLLE gear, helmet covers and on and on. That is the stuff that costs big money and most of those items last a long, long time. Take a look at the full cost of the GEN III ECWCS. Regular uniforms wear out pretty fast so getting a new pattern uniform is not that expensive for the Army....but all that other stuff...big dollars. God forbid they give us some uniform that looks like a reptile. Just stick with the Multicam. Its already in production and it works great in most places where we are likely to deploy.

back to 'frogskin'??? some US camo patterns of late seem to serve only to render the wearer more visible in all environments.

ERDL seemed more effective than most and for hot weather operations a plain drab greyish brown would seem useful.

this nonsense with similar colours in small fields serves to 'blob out' at short range rendering the value of disruptive pattern obsolete.

medium to large irregular blocks of contrasting colour works best. where there is an enhanced need to blend then surely snipers and the like would do well to utilise terrain specific commercial patterns?

bravo_2_zero

Bite the bullet and buy our redundant DPM clothing, you all know it's the best camo ever produced.