U.S. 2 bushel coal bag

Keith

At a garage sale today I saw a new item for me. It was a bag, shaped something like a seabag or duffle bag, same canvas material and color. Stenciled on it was "U.S. 2 Bushel Coal Bag." I am curious if any of the members are familiar with that item? THANKS.

Johan Willaert

The 2 Bushel Coal Bag was also part of the QM's Blacksmith's Equipment Set.

Will post a picture of mine and a scan of the QM Catalog set listing later tonight

To add; a smaller 1 Bushel Coal Bag was also made by the QM Dept during WW2.

hawkdriver

I'm sure it was part of the Blacksmith kit as Johan identified. I had a picture of a bag next to a barracks stove, so that is where I got my info from. Unfortunately, I loaned my bag and picture to a young lad so he could use them in a class show and tell on WWII items and never got them back.

Johan Willaert

Actually I was wrong too...

The 2 bushel Coal Bag is listed as a separate item in the WW2 QM3-4 Catalog, List of Items for Issue to Troops, Misc Organisational Equipment (Page 36)

The Blacksmith's Supply Chest shown in the QM6 Catalog, Chests, Kits, Outfits and Chests is the 30Lbs Bag, Canvas, Coal constructed differently with a drawstring on top...

I could have bought it for $10 but didn't see a lot of value there so passed on it.....Thanks for the feedback on the bag!

keith