US Litter

dfdenizyaran

dfdenizyaran

Greetings,

I recently got a US. litter. The wooden handles are missing. I am planning to make new ones. I need help about the measurements; what is the length of the handle (from the aluminum pole ends to the tip) and the minimum diameter?

Paid 28$ equivalent, which is cheap, since these kind of things are hard to find in Turkey.

I would also appreciate your opinions, especially about dating it.

Thank You.

Demirhan.

post-9511-1338384571.jpg

post-9511-1338384601.jpg

post-9511-1338384619.jpg

post-9511-1338384633.jpg

I dont know about the date on it ,but cool find being in Turkey i would firgure older US gear doesnt turn up so offen.

David

dfdenizyaran
I dont know about the date on it ,but cool find being in Turkey i would firgure older US gear doesnt turn up so offen.

David

Old military equipment is found rare, I can only purchase one or two items per month. But there is a big diversity in their origins. I have started with collecting canteens, now I have Italian, British, German, Austrian,US canteens that all were used in the armed forces at some time. To give you an opinion; I have only seen one US magazine pouch so far and bought it!

Demirhan.

dfdenizyaran
Is modern stuff easy to find?Sounds like youve found some cool item.

David

I try not to get into modern stuff. I have seen modern but used US camo caps and backpacks, but nothing more. Local made equipment and uniforms can be found. I have some friends who are interested in airsoft, they get their repro US gear from China.

Demirhan.

carrabassett

It is Vietnam era given the DSA classification. I don't have my reference available but I believe this to be mid-60's, probably '64 or '65. It is missing four of the wooden end poles. I passed up three of these at a flea market 2 weeks ago (also Vietnam era) for $20 each so $28 in Turkey sounds like a good deal. I did buy a beautiful WW1 litter with original straps and rope a few months ago however! I believe I have one in storage and if I can find it I will send you some measurements and pictures of the handles. Thanks for sharing.

• 5 months later...

For dimensions on the handles, take a look at Annex B, NATO STANAG 2040, which is available in lots of places on the web. This gives full measurements for the litter supports and handles. I believe this covers the period from which your litter dates (and I agree it looks like 1960s-1980s to me).