USMC Officers pre WWII dress shoulder epaulets

Fly USMC

These came together from an antique dealer. She did not know any history of the items, only that she got them together.

Card is for Col Charles Griffith Meints.

With some quick google searches, I found this info:

Commanding Officer of First Reconnaissance Battalion 18 July 1939 - 31 Oct 1940

Commanding Officer of First Tank Battalion 1 Nov 1941 – 4 Mar 1944

Buried in Arlington National Cemetery Plot: Sec: 4, Site: 5641 EH

Birth: Dec. 20, 1900

Death: Aug. 28, 1954

Had to take my son to scouts, so I did not get any other research done yet.

post-5056-1338347502.jpg

post-5056-1338347520.jpg

My guess is that he like many other officers did not find much need for wearing a dress uniform when WWII rolled around so the boards were not updated beyond Captain. ????

Also note how the rank insignia is heald on. looks like they are just pinned

S/F

John

post-5056-1338347738.jpg

post-5056-1338347747.jpg

Bob Hudson

Looks like he graduated from the Naval Academy in 1924 and was commissioned in the Marines.

meintsjuly24.jpg

He spent much of the 20's and early 30's in Haiti.

Hey Fly USMC,

Those are nice!

I have a pair from a USMC Major that have Lt. bars on them. Yes they are pinned on with straight pins. I have one of the EGS's on mine, wish yours had them.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I just ran across your post from 2012. Charles Griffith Meints was my maternal grandfather. I never met him as he passed away from a heart attack before I was born. He is buried in Arlington along with my maternal biological grandmother Goldie Shipley who died soon after the birth of my mother. I would love to have the epaulettes if you still have them or would be willing to sell them to me. It's amazing what you can run across researching family history!

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the comments over the years.

I have been going through some of my collection and am starting to consider selling these. I will have to find the calling card. It was separated from the epaulets over the past few years. Not sure how that happened???

John,

If you do decide to part with them, you might be able to contact the person who said he was her grandfather. If she can prove that he was her grandfather and if you do decide to part with them, it would be nice for her to have the first opportunity for purchase.

...Kat

Oh wow! I just read that too! Unfortunately she hasn't been on since April and has no contact information.

I noticed that but I believe the forum has her e-mail address because you have to provide one to join. They might be able to contact her that way but not sure if that is stepping outside the bounds.

...Kat

• 3 years later...
teufelhunde.ret

I can be reached at [email protected] if you still have the Charles Griffith Meints items!

I know Fly USMC will do his best to help reunite these with you, upon establishing your family connections. Be advised... theses are not rare, but, very scarce and extremely difficult to acquire as id’ed mates. During the depression era the number of USMC officers numbered in the hundreds. As seen, these mates sell for 4-6+ hundred. Finding a set of pin back emblem mates will cost 600+ depending on quality. Good luck.

• 2 years later...