Maj. Gen. Ned Moore G2 101st Airborne

manayunkman

manayunkman

Over 20 years ago I chanced apon an older gentleman who told me he had been a B-52 pilot in Vietnam. Several times after that we got together to talk about his military career.

Some time later he sold me a large portion of his Vietnam momentos.

Within this pile were some airborne items of his fathers who had been in the 101st AB.

I squirreled them away and just today I did some research and found out who he really was.

Please stay tuned and I will post more info and pictures.

This cap badge was one of 20 ( the others are gone ) and looks like it is German made.

post-51189-1338326856.jpg

manayunkman

Here is all the insignia I got from Moore's son. I assumed it was all from his father, Ned, as none of it was Air Force.

post-51189-1338337010.jpg

manayunkman

Here is the ribbon rack. Moore got the Silver Star in WW2. I am not sure for what action but in Holland, as a Lt Col., on Sept. 19th he took a bazooka and shot and disabled a German Tank.

He was with McAuliffe at the Battle of the Bulge and read him the German terms for surrender. Of course we all know the answer. NUTS

Moore graduated from West Point in 1930 and went into the 101 in 1943.

He got the Distinguished Service Cross for action in Korea

Distinguished Service Cross

See more recipients of this award

Awarded for actions during the Korean War

The President of the United States of America, under the provisions of the Act of Congress approved July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Colonel (Infantry) Ned Dalton Moore (ASN: 0-18212), United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy of the United Nations while as Commanding Officer of the 19th Infantry Regiment, 24th Infantry Division. Colonel Moore distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism in action against enemy aggressor forces near Chungam-ni, Korea, on 1 August 1950. During a visit to the command post of his 1st Battalion, Colonel Moore discovered that the positions were in grave danger of being overrun and that the defenses were rapidly nearing a breaking point. Without hesitation, he initiated prompt action to prevent a complete collapse. In spite of intense enemy automatic weapons, small-arms, mortar, and tank fire, which was falling throughout the entire area, he voluntarily undertook the task of making a personal visit to each of the exposed front line units. He immediately went forward to a position less than one hundred yards behind the foremost rifleman of Company C and, from this position, personally began to rally the wavering frontline troops. Later, under his personal supervision, Company A was quickly reorganized and launched in an attack that regained critical terrain which had been lost to the enemy. Colonel Moore remained with the forward elements of the battalion throughout the remainder of the day, directing the employment of heavy weapons and riflemen, until the enemy attack was completely repulsed. The calm demeanor, prompt decision, absolute disregard for his own personal safety, fearless leadership, and the courageous example he exhibited were an inspiration to all members of his command and proved to be the turning point for our troops during this crucial engagement with the enemy.

General Orders: Headquarters, Eighth U.S. Army, Korea: General Orders No. 75 (February 15, 1951)

Action Date: August 1, 1950

Service: Army

Company: Commanding Officer

Regiment: 19th Infantry Regiment

Division: 24th Infantry Division

He also received his second Silver Star in Korea

warded for actions during the Korean War

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting a Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster in lieu of a Second Award of the Silver Star to Colonel (Infantry) Ned Dalton Moore (ASN: 0-18212), United States Army, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against the enemy while serving as Commanding Officer, 19th Infantry Regiment, 24th Infantry Division, in action against the enemy near Chingam-ni, Korea, on 1 August 1950. The enemy, attacking extended defensive positions of the 1st Battalion, had penetrated both flanks and established positions to the rear. Seeing that the battalion was being disorganized he determined to counterattack. Rallying elements of Company C he directed the assault and the company, inspired by his gallant example, overran the enemy's positions. Remaining exposed during the remainder of the day he directed the employment of heavy weapons and small arms of the rifle companies until the enemy attack was completely repulsed with heavy losses. His gallant actions and devotion to duty reflect the greatest credit on himself and the United States Infantry.

General Orders: Headquarters, 24th Infantry Division, General Orders No. 157 (October 3, 1950), Amended by G.O. 177 (1950)

Action Date: August 1, 1950

Service: Army

Company: Commanding Officer

Regiment: 19th Infantry Regiment

Division: 24th Infantry Division

If anyone put himself out there when he really didn't have to it was this man.

post-51189-1338338213.jpg

CNY Militaria

I don't think I have a Moore uniform--thinking of someone else perhaps? Great lot though! That is really a stellar ribbon bar.

manayunkman
CNY Militaria has one of his later fatigue shirts.

G

I was going to go meet Mr Moore but before I could he passed away in 1992. His son moved away from Mechanicsburg, Pa. soon after so I lost all contact. Moore wanted me to come visit and see if i was interested in any other militaria he had. At the time I thought I had all the time in the world. His son told me he was at the Adlers Nisten at the end of the war and brought home a ton of stuff. I talked to Ned several times but he never talked about himself so I never really knew who I was talking to. If only ....

Jack's Son

M,

That is an impressive lot of items. I hope someone can match some uniforms to go along with them.

All good look'n stuff!!! :thumbsup:

dave peifer

hello manny.........would the son be dave moore of which i bought his vietnam b-52 group?...........here we go again :lol::lol:

manayunkman
hello manny.........would the son be dave moore of which i bought his vietnam b-52 group?...........here we go again :lol::lol:

One in the same.

manayunkman
M,

That is an impressive lot of items. I hope someone can match some uniforms to go along with them.

All good look'n stuff!!! :thumbsup:

I wonder what happened to the General's stuff. He retired from the Army as a Brigadier.

manayunkman
I don't think I have a Moore uniform--thinking of someone else perhaps? Great lot though! That is really a stellar ribbon bar.

Thank you.

riflegreen297

Fantastic group. That would be a nice center piece to anyone that collected Airborne items. Thanks for sharing.

manayunkman
Fantastic group. That would be a nice center piece to anyone that collected Airborne items. Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad you like it.

M

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Those were my grandfathers items. So my uncle (Air Force Col.) ended up with a few items and they ended up with you. 

I actually have all the medasls that go with those ribbons.

As I was growing up, my grandfather had lots of german items: helmets, lugers... and many other items. Some ended up in museums, others gone over the years. 

Still have video of his retirement parade in Alaska in 1963 & photos of his funeral at Arlington National Cemetery. A couple of countries sent representatives to the funeral for his service in WWII. I think one country was Belgium.

Your page was very interesting. 

18 minutes ago, smoore said:

Those were my grandfathers items. So my uncle (Air Force Col.) ended up with a few items and they ended up with you. 

I actually have all the medasls that go with those ribbons.

As I was growing up, my grandfather had lots of german items: helmets, lugers... and many other items. Some ended up in museums, others gone over the years. 

Still have video of his retirement parade in Alaska in 1963 & photos of his funeral at Arlington National Cemetery. A couple of countries sent representatives to the funeral for his service in WWII. I think one country was Belgium.

Your page was very interesting. 

Welcome to the forum.

Please share what ever you can about your grandfather and would love to see his medals.

image.png.5604100e7f6b828a74ec5fd58e38d6de.pngimage.png.82762c4a9d1760f84b1c33b82e11bf93.pngimage.png.4086f3a7c587d3218907a045b42242da.png

Here is a picture of the medals . He always had them displayed in a glass top coffee table, but were placed in this display later.

Other two pictures are #1: Lt Col Moore receiving Legion of Merit In France from Gen Taylor #2: Receiving Silver Star in Berchtesgaden from Gen Taylor

1 hour ago, smoore said:

image.png.5604100e7f6b828a74ec5fd58e38d6de.pngimage.png.82762c4a9d1760f84b1c33b82e11bf93.pngimage.png.4086f3a7c587d3218907a045b42242da.png

Here is a picture of the medals . He always had them displayed in a glass top coffee table, but were placed in this display later.

Other two pictures are #1: Lt Col Moore receiving Legion of Merit In France from Gen Taylor #2: Receiving Silver Star in Berchtesgaden from Gen Taylor

Are any of the medals engraved?

What a fascinating thread!

I have some GI bringback pieces from Hitler's home in Berchtesgaden – and one of the groups (some Berghof music records) came with this permission note, signed by Col. Moore. 

Moore.jpeg

On 1/28/2023 at 6:38 PM, manayunkman said:

Are any of the medals engraved?

Yes on the back is  the top 7 medals is NED D MOORE