I hate mice

jgawne

Possibly more than moths.

I learned to hate them years ago when I left a box of the early Nam era green bag lurp rations in my garage.... munch munch much. One nested in the compartment over the left rear tire of my jeep (getting in through the opening cause I left the lock off. It nested in an M1 bandoleer filled with blank ammo (a total loss).

But....

About 2 years ago I found a mouse had gotten into the house by discovering that a WW2 British production D-bar sitting on the top of a waist high glass case was muched on one end. How could he scale that?

The extermination eventually produced three of them, but I never found a nest. Until now.

A plastic bin that had been holding various WW2 US CWS gear had the cover slightly ajar. I was digging into it to get something and there was the empty nest. In with a number of CWS things with that great smell (how could the mouse stand it?)

A strap on a black rubber mask bag was mildly chewed, and the worst loss was some munching on a previously MINT lightweight bag.

I now leave a few mouse traps around the house baited with peanut butter. It is my early warning system.

craig_pickrall

I live in a wooded area and there are many field mice. I had a mouse problem much like what you describe. I set traps and rat poison about but still had mouse droppings. When my wife and I got married about 9 years ago she had a cat. After the cat lived here about 3 months the mice were gone and I have never seen any signs of one since then. The cat was an inside cat and never actually caught a mouse. I think it was just the smell of the cat kept the mice away. That cat died a few months ago but has been replaced.

I keep poison in the crawl space under the house. And several bait stations outside trying to ambush them before they get in. The garage is filled with traps. In my War room I use several glue traps. No only good for mice but also good for crickets that survive past all the Home Defense spray I use.

Awww, how could you hate some thing so cute and patriotic...

Mickey-Mouse-Salutes-America.jpg

Heh heh, just joking. I'm sorry for your losses, i've been lucky and have had no mouse problems as of yet. :)

- Jeff

Possibly more than moths.

I learned to hate them years ago when I left a box of the early Nam era green bag lurp rations in my garage.... munch munch much. One nested in the compartment over the left rear tire of my jeep (getting in through the opening cause I left the lock off. It nested in an M1 bandoleer filled with blank ammo (a total loss).

But....

About 2 years ago I found a mouse had gotten into the house by discovering that a WW2 British production D-bar sitting on the top of a waist high glass case was muched on one end. How could he scale that?

The extermination eventually produced three of them, but I never found a nest. Until now.

A plastic bin that had been holding various WW2 US CWS gear had the cover slightly ajar. I was digging into it to get something and there was the empty nest. In with a number of CWS things with that great smell (how could the mouse stand it?)

A strap on a black rubber mask bag was mildly chewed, and the worst loss was some munching on a previously MINT lightweight bag.

I now leave a few mouse traps around the house baited with peanut butter. It is my early warning system.

Mice can jump quite high. At one of our field offices we had a 30 gallon garbage can. A mouse got caught in it when it was almost empty ( a couple of paper wrappers). It would circle the bottom about three times and jump, made to about a 1/2 inch from the top everytime. Never got out though.

Ray

I had a mouse problem once. In the years after I left home and my collecting stagnated, my Dad put a box of my militaria in the garage attic. The mice built their nest inside a nice M1917A1 helmet that I got in a grouping from a neighbor. The damage was minimal considering, there are only a few stains in the liner. I'm surprised they didn't chew the leather or any of the web gear in the box.

I had a problem with mice until my fiance moved in with her two cats. So far, cats 3 mice 0. Mice have yet to destroy any of my collection, although one did eat a hole in the pocket of a decent leather jacket I had.

Rumor has it that those fabric softener sheets you put in the drier will repel mice. Whether they actually work or not, I cannot say other than I had the critters invade my motorcycle sidecar under the tonneau cover. I put a couple drier sheets in there and, so far, no more meeces. thumbsup.gif

Tom

I too live in a wooded area so mice have been a problem however, the worst culprit was the squirrel trying to run off with some of my gear!

mouse_1_.jpg

Damed Peromyscus maniculatuses! Rodents! Vermin!! Norwegian rats! They all got teeth and that just ain't fair! thumbdown.gif

So, you don't like rats? ermm.gif

Hello All, new to the fourm and love it! I built a house a few years ago in Idaho and the mice were rampant in the travel trailer next to the site. A friend of mine suggested putting dryer sheets (Bounce, etc.) throught the trailer. After cleaning the mess, I took him up on his suggestion and put them all over the floor and haven't had to deal with that problem since. I've also found they don't care for steel wool either. I've plugged access holes with #0000 steel wool and they don't come in. Guess they don't like like the taste.

Hello All, new to the fourm and love it! I built a house a few years ago in Idaho and the mice were rampant in the travel trailer next to the site. A friend of mine suggested putting dryer sheets (Bounce, etc.) throught the trailer. After cleaning the mess, I took him up on his suggestion and put them all over the floor and haven't had to deal with that problem since. I've also found they don't care for steel wool either. I've plugged access holes with #0000 steel wool and they don't come in. Guess they don't like like the taste.

actually, I've heard the steel wool has something to do with their teeth and the steel not getting along very well