Double PH Pair

WittWorldWide.com

WittWorldWide.com

I was asked to post a few items that the group may find interesting.

While this is not an entirely new finding, I have found duplicate Officially Engraved and Issued Purple Hearts in numerous forms over the years. In this case it is an Army WW2 KIA Set to a soldier Killed in Action on December 26, 1944. Initially we thought it would be a tough research job given a fairly common name, but with the information on hand of where it came from, and a little luck, it lead to a positive ID. A fellow collector and friend had been doing research on Jewish Cemeteries in the Chicago Area, and nailed down the location of burial. We got lucky with the information on the headstone, and a great image of him in uniform...

Pfc Harry Gordon was with Company B, 2nd Infantry Regiment, 5th Infantry Division, 3rd Army (Gen. Patton's Command) when killed in Luxembourg.

The 1st Issue PH was done in the typical Small Machine Engraving style commonly seen for Late '44-Early '45 KIA PHs., and the 2nd Officially Engraved PH is done in the 1947-49 Hand "Script" Engraved style for later awards and duplicate issues. In this case he was not married, but had 3 Sisters, so best guess is a request for an additional medal from one of the sisters. They both came from the same source, at the same time, so it is not likely a case of a replacement for a lost medal.

GordonHarryPHxm.jpg

GordonHarryPHScriptxm.jpg

GordonHarryGravePhoto2x.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I would like to say that I am the new owner of the these amazing purple hearts to a fallen soldier.

Good to see you back !!! :thumbsup:

• 11 months later...
WittWorldWide.com

It took a little luck, but the patience paid off. Glad the current owner appreciates the effort, and is keeping it together.

Regards, Rich

WittWorldWide.com

This card was the initial key to finding the gravestone pic, that gave us the unit... as well as confirming the date of action. Not all of these have the date of death on them, nor do KIA gravestones always have a unit on them. This was the "Luck" in this research. (When Preparation Meet Opportunity...)

Rich Witt

www.wittworldwide.com

• 10 months later...

Hello!

I did some genealogy research on Harry Gordon a couple of years ago. A friend of mine is his great, great niece, who has named her son after him. Is there any way that the owner of these medals would allow the family to get in touch if they were interested in doing so?

Thanks,

Beth Tykodi

Genealogist

Dover, NH

Hello!

I did some genealogy research on Harry Gordon a couple of years ago. A friend of mine is his great, great niece, who has named her son after him. Is there any way that the owner of these medals would allow the family to get in touch if they were interested in doing so?

Thanks,

Beth Tykodi

Genealogist

Dover, NH

PM sent...

WittWorldWide.com

While I understand that this set has changed hands a few times since I have had it, I would be happy to share any of the research I have with the family.

Regards, Rich

• 8 years later...

@TrevorR I noticed that you read my private message about my great-uncle Harry and his PHs, but did not see any response from you. Since I am obviously new to this forum, I may have missed something. These medals are an important part of my family's history. Reuniting our family with these medals of valor which were awarded after my great uncle made the ultimate sacrifice is critically important since most other records of his service were destroyed. 

@WittWorldWide.com if you are still active on this forum and you're able to share that research about my great uncle, I would appreciate knowing as much as I can about him and his service.