WWI or earlier US Navy Large Embroidered Sweetheart Piece

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I picked this up today and I believe that it is from the WWI era or possibly earlier. It is a sailor and his girl embracing in front of the big guns of a WWI Battleship or maybe its on one of ships of the Great White Fleet from a few years earlier. The piece is heavily embroidered and it measures 20" by 16" and it has really nice dark colors. I thought it was a nice unique piece to find on Memorial Day.

post-1412-1338264307.jpg

First off, THAT IS AWSOME! Second, it is pre 1913. You will note that the Sailor has his jumper tucked inot his trousers. Also he is wearing the white flat braid lanyard around his neck. Both these changed with the 1913 regulations (jumper un tucked and lanyard dropped altogether.) Again, beautiful piece. Wife wishes she could see it closer to see the stitching.

Steve Hesson

Manchu Warrior
First off, THAT IS AWSOME! Second, it is pre 1913. You will note that the Sailor has his jumper tucked inot his trousers. Also he is wearing the white flat braid lanyard around his neck. Both these changed with the 1913 regulations (jumper un tucked and lanyard dropped altogether.) Again, beautiful piece. Wife wishes she could see it closer to see the stitching.

Steve Hesson

The frame has glass in it so I cannot get a real nice close up. The eyes are kind of spooky, and when I have the time I will take it out and take a better close up photo. And I appreciate the information as well as the comments. Thanks!

post-1412-1338378679.jpg