Memorial Day....

wartimecollectables.com

Good Morning Andrew from Folly Beach!

Absolutely sir, today is one of the most important of the year for me.

Semper Fidelis!

Fielding

Got da Penny

post-633-1338212745.jpg

Harold Glenn Epperson was born July 14, 1923 in Akron, Ohio. Born in Akron, Ohio, Epperson grew up in Massillon and graduated from Washington High School there in 1941. He was employed at Goodyear Aircraft in Akron before enlisting in the Marine Corps Reserve on December 12, 1942.

A member of the 1st Battalion 6th Marines, he also shared in the Presidential Unit Citation awarded his organization for its service at the Battle of Tarawa.

PFC Epperson died in action against the Japanese on Saipan on June 25, 1944 when he threw himself upon an enemy grenade in order to save the lives of his fellow Marines.

Epperson's Medal of Honor was presented to his mother in a ceremony on Wednesday, July 4, 1945 in Tiger Stadium, Massillon, Ohio, with the Massillon High School Band and 8,500 of the people of the town where Epperson grew up. The medal was presented by Col. Norman E. True, district Marine officer of the 9th Naval District and commanding officer of the Marine Barracks at Great Lakes, Illinois. Epperson's parents, who moved to Mt. Sterling, Kentucky following their son's death, returned to Massillon for the ceremonies because they felt their son "would have liked it that way." The citation signed by President Harry S. Truman, and a letter from Gen. Alexander A. Vandegrift, Commandant of the Marine Corps, were read by Col. True during the ceremony.

Initially buried in the 2nd Marine Division Cemetery on Saipan, Marianas Islands, PFC Epperson's remains were re-interred in Winchester Cemetery, Winchester, Kentucky, in 1948.

Here is how I spent Memorial Day today. I presented a wreath on behalf of the Veterans of Foreign Wars at the Memorial Day Ceremony here in Dover, DE. I am thrilled I get to do this every year. A very touching ceremony complete with bagpipes and a 21 gun salute by the Dover AFB Honor Guard.

-Ski

post-3043-1338224489.jpg