flight helmet

mp44

hbtcoveralls

P4-A helmet. It should have a paper label inside the shell somewhere with the date of manufacture. Also, the suspension has a black and gold tag that has the contract number. I'd say, based on the yellow foam inside that the helmet dates around 54-55.

Tom Bowers

hbtcoveralls
P4-A helmet. It should have a paper label inside the shell somewhere with the date of manufacture. Also, the suspension has a black and gold tag that has the contract number. I'd say, based on the yellow foam inside that the helmet dates around 54-55. Also, the oxygen mask will have the date pressed into it as well.

Tom Bowers

The basic P4 shell was subject to various upgrades which prolonged its service life, such as the addition of various visors and oxygen retention gear and communications equipment, so an early 50s helmet could still be in service into the 60s. Therefore, it's possible to find a range of different dated parts in a single helmet.

• 6 months later...
northcoastaero

The helmet is possibly a P-1A, P-3, or P-4 upgraded to a P-4A (most likely) or P-4B configuration.

The oxygen mask is a version of the MS-22001 possibly a MBU-3/P. Do you have photos of the left side

and back of the helmet? Please post them if you can.

I'm almost sure that it's a P-1B or P-4 helmet upgraded to P-4A. The USAF logo on the face indicates that this is not a newly manufactured P-4A (1957). I do not believe that P-1B were upgraded to P-4B which is the last P serie helmets version (in 1959).

The hole for the mic on the face mask seems to show us that it has been used in a foreign air force. The long hose and the 3-pins connector was for the last USAF MS-22001 model (MBU-3/P).

Franck