Sgt. William Eubanks, US Army (1923-2012)

Huntzman

Last fall I was aided by this forum in a project I had undertaken to recreate my father-in-law's WWII uniform. At the time he had been diagnosed with cancer. In October, thanks to the amazing generosity of forum members, we succeeded in recreating it and presented it to him before he relocated to California. Unfortunately, the original thread has been lost.

This past Friday evening, my father-in-law, Sergeant William Eubanks, U.S. Army, lost his battle with cancer and passed away. He was 89.

I think it fitting that he passed away on Memorial Day weekend. While he will be sorely missed, we are grateful he did not suffer. I consider myself fortunate that I able to sit down with him and record his military history. It was the first time he had ever spoken about it at length. Being able to speak with him presented me an opportunity to record, for posterity, his contributions to our countries history.

He began his military service in 1943. He was shipped off to the Pacific for the planned invasion of Kiska. In 1944 he was shipped off to the European theater where he remained until 1945. They were exactly shipped out again and where en-route back to the Pacific for the planned invasion of Japan when the bombs were dropped and Japan surrendered. His service is documented here: http://www.huntzmanpatches.com/sgt_bill_eubanks.htm

As we sit here and mourn our loss, we join with veterans families everywhere and consider ourselves the better for what they have done for us. I take comfort in knowing that he is now in Heaven with family members and many of his fellow soldiers.

And in the words of my ancestors: Slán Abhaile !!

We love you and we miss you Dad.

Dad, last October when we gave him his replacement uniform. Sad thing is that he never knew what medals he had been entitled to, up until getting this replacement jacket. His records were destroyed in the St. Louis fire.

post-12064-1338141549.jpg

With my wife (his daughter) and grand-daughter, both of who did the sewing and assembly of the jacket from parts to finished product.

post-12064-1338141726.jpg