WWII Tech Cpl. PTO Medic Helmet

WW2collector97

WW2collector97

Hello,

As always, I come to everyone with a "rare" helmet. I came across this helmet earlier

and was wondering about a few things. From the pictures it looks "ok", but the chinstrap

hooks appear to be post war and the white circle on the back designating a corpsman

looks artificially aged. Now I could be going crazy, but what does everyone think?

Any help is appreciated as always, thank you! :thumbsup:

-Timothy

Lucky 7th Armored

One thing i noticed, arent the Corpmen apart of the navy? so why would it be an army rank? Just a thought, and its late here so i might not be thinking clearly. Maybe the marking wasnt for PTO medic use? some other type of indication? Who knows, maybe someone else with more knowledge can chirp in here.

Haydn

One thing i noticed, arent the Corpmen apart of the navy? so why would it be an army rank? Just a thought, and its late here so i might not be thinking clearly. Maybe the marking wasnt for PTO medic use? some other type of indication? Who knows, maybe someone else with more knowledge can chirp in here.

Haydn

Army medics also wore it. My great uncle was a med officer in the pto and had the circle on the back of his helmet.

Timothy

I believe this to be an army lid, based on past lids, with provenance, having rank and only one white painted ball. This scheme for army was found in the ETO and PTO. I have also seen these from soldiers preparing for the Japanese invasion, so the straps would fit that time period or immediately post war, perhaps into occupational duty. That would not be unexpected. We see so few of these from mid to late 1945, that we are quick to discount them if they are not fixed loop, has a shell number of 44A or less, etc. As for the painted white balls, they certainly can look fresh, because they did not necessarily see harsh conditions if at all, particularly if you were deactivated in late 1945 or early 1946. If you are holding the helmet in hand and the paint looks wrong, then that is your call. If you are judging the white paint from the picture, then I have to ask if you can really see all that in the picture. I cannot. But maybe that is the culture today. No offense, I just think collectors read way too much into suboptimal photographs IMHO. The helmet and lid look right from the photos and I would demand an "inspection" period to look it over and see if it meets your expectations.

regards,

pat stout

I digress, but I like your avatar. In the photo, circled in red, is Earl Hickman from the 508th Service squadron. Earl is a nice guy and just turned 90 this year. You do him honor by using that avatar. :thumbsup:

post-3673-1338009214.jpg

WW2collector97
I digress, but I like your avatar. In the photo, circled in red, is Earl Hickman from the 508th Service squadron. Earl is a nice guy and just turned 90 this year. You do him honor by using that avatar. :thumbsup:

post-3673-1338009214.jpg

Thank you for your nice reply, I now have more meaning behind my avatar! So are you saying the chinstrap hooks are actually OK? Just curious, thank you! :thumbsup:

-Timothy

The chin straps have been replaced at some point. Notice the hand stitching....there's nothing wrong with that as it appears to be a period repair job. Like I said there is nothing unusual about that as soldiers, Marines, and others would have to do that from time to time.

Darby

jkash23686

I see nothing wrong with this lid from the pics. Also I have seen pics of T1's on straps of solders getting ready to embark late in the war so its not out of the realm that this was restraped and painted getting ready to go for ETO to PTO fighting. I'd take a chance on it if there was an inspection period.

Good Luck!

-j

The chin straps have been replaced at some point. Notice the hand stitching....there's nothing wrong with that as it appears to be a period repair job. Like I said there is nothing unusual about that as soldiers, Marines, and others would have to do that from time to time.

Darby

Darby, thanks!

You make a good point about repairs that I failed to address.

Timothy let us know what happens,

Good Luck!

USMC-RECON0321

I like this helmet also, but like has been said above, Pictures are hard to judge. I would agree there is no doubt the front insignia was sprayed on and a good chance the rear markings also - to me the circle looks like a very thin coat of white paint compared to others I have seen and most WWII markings are a heavy solid coat hand painted on and crack over time. The paint either way does look old but you never know until getting it in hand.

On the other hand I do have a couple of helmet books that clearly document spraypainted markings on WWII helmets, so it was done. Not sure what to think at this point - just my 2 cents!!

Another thought and we all need to keep in mind is with WWII so long ago that this helmet or others with markings could have been a made up re-enacting helmet painted up in the 60's +/- and is now a 40 to 50 year old (non - original) paint job that has true aging to it??

Troy

• 3 weeks later...

I won this helmet! and I assure you that it is a wonder and a wonderful patina! the seller had not made ​​a great picture that gave me a wonderful surprise!!! the helmet also has a white circle on the liner! I immediately noticed that he was an army! I think it was a symbol used by army! can you give me confirmation? sorry for my english Werter

Wonderful helmet Werter! :thumbsup: I have its twin...

Show me the pictures please! I saw the web that his brother was found in Michigan in 2009 ...... maybe you bought it?