Medal ribbon trouble!

D_Dutch

Hello everybody,

A couple of months ago I bought a medal grouping which included a World War I Victory Medal with six clasps. The medal was in good condition, as well was the ribbon. Yesterday I was browsing through my medals and was shocked to see that the ribbon of the medal was in much worse condition. I have no idea how it happened, when I gently let it slide out of the plastic medal wallet it was in another piece of thread came loose and now there is quite a big void without thread! :crying: I'm actually afraid now that the other half will also get loose or get in much worse condition.

Does anybody know what I should do now? Should I let it as it is, with the risk that the condition is getting worse? Could/Should it be restored? Any advice would be much appreciated!

With kind regards,

Koen. :ermm:

Perfect condition, ribbon is also in very good condition.

post-12867-1337969380.jpg

Disaster. Ribbon condition at the top right corner is much worse and spreading to the left side.

post-12867-1337969418.jpg

I've seen old ribbons begin to disintegrate with age like yours before. Personally, if you don't need to handle it I'd just slip it carefully back into its case and leave it as it is...and protect it from direct sunlight. It wouldn't be the same with a replacement ribbon. Just my opinion.

carbinephalen

I honestly don't know how it could get in worse condition :think: unless:

A) it is hanging on a uniform or in display case with the pull of gravity putting pressure on the ribbon

B.) It is in a big dresser drawer of medals sliding/banging in to each other with each opening

C) You have mice chewing up your valuables (it doesn't look like that though :thumbsup: )

D) Somebody in the house (maybe a youngster) took it upon themselves to play with it and damage it.

My suggestion would be put it into its own case (like a small riker mount or larger jewelry box that say a necklace or bracelet would come in) that should keep it safe for years to come!

Hope this helps!

Jack's Son

I NEVER leave medals in those plastic shelves!! There are chemicals that leech color and hurt the ribbons. This is the "old wives tale" that I live by. I use rikers or cloth to store medals.

Thanks for the replies! :)

I've seen old ribbons begin to disintegrate with age like yours before. Personally, if you don't need to handle it I'd just slip it carefully back into its case and leave it as it is...and protect it from direct sunlight. It wouldn't be the same with a replacement ribbon. Just my opinion.

It was quite a relief that it has to do with the age of the ribbon. I really didn't know how it was possible since I almost never handle the ribbon, most of the time I only look at it. I was doubting about replacing it with original 1920's/1930's ribbon stock but if it wouldn't look the same I won't alter a thing about it.

I honestly don't know how it could get in worse condition :think: unless:

A) it is hanging on a uniform or in display case with the pull of gravity putting pressure on the ribbon

B.) It is in a big dresser drawer of medals sliding/banging in to each other with each opening

C) You have mice chewing up your valuables (it doesn't look like that though :thumbsup: )

D) Somebody in the house (maybe a youngster) took it upon themselves to play with it and damage it.

My suggestion would be put it into its own case (like a small riker mount or larger jewelry box that say a necklace or bracelet would come in) that should keep it safe for years to come!

Hope this helps!

Thankfully none of those options apply to my situation, although instead of mice I do have the occasional silverfish in my house. But hanging the medals on a wall in a display case could also do damage? I hope not since I wanted to do that when I have all the medals and other stuff together. The plastic wallet was actually a temporary solution, I'll go buy a riker mount for the meanwhile. :)

I NEVER leave medals in those plastic shelves!! There are chemicals that leech color and hurt the ribbons. This is the "old wives tale" that I live by. I use rikers or cloth to store medals.

So those plastic wallets actually do damage to the medals? I'll remove all my medals out of those things straight away then. :unsure:

Jack's Son

A lot of damage has been done, but I think you will be happier in the future if you remove them. The only time I use the sleeves is when I ship, of travel. :thumbsup:

So those plastic wallets actually do damage to the medals? I'll remove all my medals out of those things straight away then. :unsure:

The first impression is that the change was due to exposure to unfiltered strong UV light - e.g. sunlight.

However, there are some plastics which will outgas very destructive chemicals, yes, absolutely - especially in confined/stagnant air. Some can even start to outgas when in proximity with other materials. The cheaper the plastic, the more probable this becomes.

Best is to use only neutral containers, of which there are many kinds to be found according to your preference.

Two of the better sources:

http://www.universityproducts.com/

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com

post-3976-1337984224.jpg

Third Herd

I keep my WWI and earlier medals and ribbons in Riker boxes. The newer stuff I have mounted on acid free matt board and store flat.