A group of USS Shenandoah items

empireguns

empireguns

I got these along with a pilots items. His father was in the navy and had some connection to the USS Shenandoah. I got these photos and a letter on USS Shenandoah letterhead!! The letter is from one of the people who died on the wreck and is listed on the memorial. I am moving this out eventually but it sure is nice to have right now.

DSCN8157.jpg

DSCN8158.jpg

DSCN8162.jpg

DSCN8224.jpg

DSCN8226.jpg

DSCN8225.jpg

empireguns

The memorial

DSCN8206.jpg

The letter

DSCN8210.jpg

DSCN8212.jpg

DSCN8213.jpg

The letter speaks of a watch repair very cool overall.

When the US Navy boldly ruled the Skies with air filled Leviathans!

Beautiful items, always brings a tear to my eye when I see these old pictures of our Airship Navy!

Leonardo

Garandomatic

A student I had gave me two small pieces of the Shenandoah's skin. A relative owned one of the farms, or owned one near the crash site, he has a girder and about a 2' section of cloth, and I photocopied some original photos his family took from what had to be only 10' away from where some of yours were taken!

empireguns
That thing was huge. How long did it fly?

right up until it hit the ground I think! :lol:

seriously I think from 1923 through 1925 I just found two more small shots of the ship as it flies overhead of the cameraman

Jack's Son
right up until it hit the ground I think! :lol:

seriously I think from 1923 through 1925 I just found two more small shots of the ship as it flies overhead of the cameraman

I liked the first answer BEST! :lol:

The Commander was from Greenville, Ohio and the Darke County Historical Museum ( Garste Museum) has his uniforms and amny artifacts from the Shenandoa. It has a great collection of Military history including Lowell Thomas and Lawernce of Araba's items from WWI period. worth the trip.

• 1 month later...
northcoastaero

I visited the U.S.S. Shenandoah crash sites in Ava, Ohio a few years ago. There is a small museum located inside a trailer in Ava, Ohio. I believe it is next to

Rayner's Garage and operated by Bryan Rayner. I would suggest calling before visiting the museum. Also, some of the roads to the crash sites are one lane

and very steep.