Buzz Rickson's update.

Sabrejet

OH Ian.....and I just spent my last schilling!! :w00t:

Shillings JS?! We haven't used those since 1971! It's strictly £ and p...Pounds and pence!! ;)

willysmb44

Even the catalogues are ridiculously expensive. I used to work near a Japanese bookstore that sometimes sold catalogues for the various vendors out of Japan and annual books about all the different vendors and what they had this year. I bought a couple of them just to drool over.

Buzz Rickson's even had a US rep at one point and I got to meet him at an event and drool over the factory sample stuff he had. It was all very well done but so incredibly costly I never considered buying any of it. Such a shame, as I'd love to have a lot of the things they make.

From what I understand of the Japanese fashion market (which ain't much), there's a source of pride over how much you paid for something, so these items go for big bucks. I have been told that none of these companies do well at all outside of Asia. Some don't ever advertise away from their target market. Those guides I bought had vendors I was never able to find any english websites or info of any kind on because theur focus was Japanese customor only because that's where the money was. :think:

Such a shame, as I’d love to have one of those 1950s USAF helmet bags, they look so cool!

It's their pricing which kills it. I've seen a lot of this stuff in the flesh (at Eastman's, their UK agent) It is mind-bogglingly good but eye-wateringly expensive...in many cases significantly more than the price of an equivalent original item! :o Rickson's stuff looks just like mint, unissued gear. If the prices were more realistic it would fly off the shelves here in the west, but there's no chance of that happening! Take their rough-out boots @ getting on for $600 a pair. I've got some excellent rough-out repros from a UK source which cost around $120. Why would anyone want or need to spend 4 x that on a similar pair?! Beats me!

I would love one of the blue Navy deck jackets but unless I catch a special its not gonna happen :lol:

Maybe I will have to offer a Tankers jacket here for trade and see what happens

I would love one of the blue Navy deck jackets but unless I catch a special its not gonna happen :lol:

Maybe I will have to offer a Tankers jacket here for trade and see what happens

They are especially nice Ron...but just too damned expensive! If the prices they ask in £/$ translate similarly into Japanese Yen, I'm surprised that they can maintain a market there too because the Japanese economy is also having a rough ride....like the rest of us!! :pinch:

M-65 Field Jacket....$512. How much for a good wearable original....or a new Alpha?! :w00t:

post-8022-1337855920.jpg

Corpsmancollector

Hi Ian,

I received the same e-mail from Buzz about the release of their SS12 collection, some very nice wears as always. I agree with you and the gang that the prices are for want of a better word, unrealistic. ELC are not cheap by any standard but are more affordable than BR and the quality is just as high. As pointed out already they are really made for a Japanese/Asian market, though there are some hard core vintage enthusiasts and collectors in the UK and US that are willing to stump up the cash. You have to remember that the vintage market particularly in Japan is very different to that of militaria, I’ve been astounded by some prices having only scratched the surface. I’d love to be able to buy the entire collection off the Buzz website but unfortunately it’s just too costly. Great looking items though and superbly made I’m sure!

Thanks for posting,

Will

Hello Will. The Japanese have had the hots for US flight jackets for some time...I think that's what got BR started in the first place. I saw a documentary once...not about militaria...but about modern-day Tokyo. There was footage of a rock-concert and there were loads of kids in the crowd wearing fully patched USAF flight jackets of all types...boys and girls! I suppose some were repros, but I'm sure many were originals too! For example......

post-8022-1337868198.jpg

Jack's Son
Shillings JS?! We haven't used those since 1971! It's strictly £ and p...Pounds and pence!! ;)

SHILLING-SCHMILLING.........I'm broke!! :w00t:

USN deck jacket. Yours for just $725!

post-8022-1337845014.png

Thanks Ian

My favorite model is the knit collar blue deck jaket.Similiar in price though :pinch:

M-65 Field Jacket....$512. How much for a good wearable original....or a new Alpha?! :w00t:

post-8022-1337855920.jpg

Sold!!!!

I have a mint 1945 dated one with cutters tags size 42 I would part with for less :lol:

Jack's Son
Hello Will. The Japanese have had the hots for US flight jackets for some time...

Did any of the jackets say......Anoyl (WHOOPS) :w00t:

Here's a Japanese website on US repo flight jackets:

http://www.nakatashoten.com/indexmenu.html

What I have discovered about Japanese purchasing in the business I am current in as well as collecting Japanese items for many years is that the Japanese culture tends to still equate hight Dollar/Yen purchase with a high quality and value product. While American buyers tend to always look for the deal, Japanese buyers are willing to pay top dollar for a high quality item, no questions asked. I buy a lot of Japanese products and the quality is always beyond what it should be compared to American products, it be a magazine,a model kit, clothing or books but with that comes a higher price. Presentation is important in Japanese culture and products.

I can see why these high quality bespoke items are popular with Japanese collectors.

Leonardo

That's why we all use Japanese cameras, watch Japanese tvs, use Japanese wristwatches, play Japanese video games, build Japanese kits and drive Japanese cars (even if it's a Toyota made in Detroit, it's still a Japanese car!) They produce quality items. Lose the war militarily but win it economically! Smart people the Japanese!