Lucky find - small wall tent

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

A friend of mine is driving down the street on a stormy afternoon when he passes a large lump of OD canvas on the side of the road. With all his might he picks up the rain soaked canvas along with 2 poles & a box full of tent pins and throws it in the back of his car. He unfolds the canvas and dried it out over the next few days to discover he picked up a 1942 dated small wall tent. The tent is in excellent condition with the spec. tag still in place, the only major thing missing was the ridge pole. I bought the tent from him last year and had the chance to set it up this past weekend. Funny what some people will throw out.

Rob

post-168-1337740156.jpg

'Flage Guy

I love tents, and that one is ONE BAD TENT!!!

Thanks for posting this gem :w00t:

craig_pickrall

A very lucky find. Amazing the canvas isn't dry rotted.

I can smell it now, like it was yesterday.

My grandfather was a naturalist and had a couple of good size WWII surplus tents.

You got a real good one there!

Fixbayonets!

Thanks guys, glad you like it! Yeah, it does have that old canvas smell we all love. :thumbsup:

Rob

2ndInf.Div.

What a find! As stated earlier, it really is amazing what some people will throw out. I'm guessing these don't come around very often, especially ones dated 1942! Out of curiosity did you set that up at a reenactment? Anyway, it looks great, thanks for sharing this!

Fixbayonets!
What a find! As stated earlier, it really is amazing what some people will throw out. I'm guessing these don't come around very often, especially ones dated 1942! Out of curiosity did you set that up at a reenactment? Anyway, it looks great, thanks for sharing this!

Thanks, I set it up at a public WWII "living history" event that is held once a year here in New York. I think you are correct when you say these tents do not come around very often, I have a bunch of guys after me for it.

Rob

2ndInf.Div.
Thanks, I set it up at a public WWII "living history" event that is held once a year here in New York. I think you are correct when you say these tents do not come around very often, I have a bunch of guys after me for it.

Rob

I only have 2 complete Korea and Vietnam pup tents, but they aren't very hard to come by :lol: