1919A6 in WWII

jacktar4243

Linedoggie

Thats not really an A6 though. Its an IDF A4 fitted with a Bipod. IIRC first use of the A6 was at Salerno and wasnt very successfull. Had to be further Modified with a Booster.

You're correct, it is marked as an A4, he's got the bipod, tripod, and detachable shoulder stock for it.

post-21709-1337808234.jpg

IIRC, he said that this side-plate was converted for it, to fire semi-auto/only. (Along with whatever else necessary.)

I know he said that it took some time to put it all together.

It was my understanding that the difference between an A4 and an A6 was 'just' the barrel, bipod, carry handle and shoulder stock; I could easily be mistaken...

I am not extremely well versed with this particular weapon.

Would the receiver on an A6 be thus marked, as well?

Charlie Flick
Does anyone out there have any pics of the Browning 1919A6 in use during WWII?

Jack:

I have quickly checked most of my photo archives for a pic for you. Most of my M1919A6 photos are post-war. However, while this Signal Corps one was not dated I think it is probably WW2.

I hope this is helpful to you. What kind of project are you working on that requires a photo like this?

Regards,

Charlie

M1919BMG.jpg

Linedoggie

M1919A6's differed in several areas.

Obviously a Lightened Barrel and shortened Jacket, Booster cap and Bipod assemblies, Shoulder stock (which dates to Cavalary board tests in 1921.)

Also the Latch Assembly, Back Plate Assembly were lightened.

Linedoggie,

Thanks much for the additional detailed info!

I can already spot several differences between the 'as Issued' A6, and my friends mixmaster.

Regards,

Don.

vostoktrading
Does anyone out there have any pics of the Browning 1919A6 in use during WWII?

This is not a very good one as the picture of the A6 is cut off but here is a Nisei 100th Bn (442nd RCT) soldier on guard duty in Italy April 1945 with a 1919A6 at his feet.

Jon.

post-7885-1337830414.jpg

Dsc08255.jpg

Forum Member Armed2theTeeth has done some pretty significant research on the 1919A6 and its usage in the ETO. I'm pretty sure he's turned up usage of it as of late June / early July 44 in northwest Europe.

Some units got quite a few of them - while others didnt.

The photos from the manual as posted by linedoggie - Can you confirm the date of the publication?

From what i've seen, I havent been able to verify the "A6" topcover latch assembly in actual production or use during the war. By the point in the war when the A6 was produced and fielded - it was down to Saginaw as the sole US maker of new built 1919a4's and 1919a6's. Buffalo Arms contract for new guns had concluded by mid 1943 if I remember correctly.

Saginaw was an innovator in using pearlitic malleable iron (Armasteel) castings. They developed a number of innovations that drove the price and time required to build 1919's down considerably. These cast parts, such as trunions, rear sight blocks, backplates, bottom plates, top covers and top cover latches were accepted for use and were not differentiated as A4 or A6 specific parts.

The topcover and backplates shown in the photos are simply production varaiants, rather than specific parts between 1919a4 and 1919a6. The cast top covers, and cast backplates were not exclusive to 1919a6 use - they can be seen on "late" production 1919A4's equally.

m1919tech.com has some exellent paper chase design and production information that helps shed some additional insights into this matter - and the evolution of the 1919a6.

The 1919A6 was very much "there" in northwest europe - with specific details that define it to that time period. Usage will be seen in both configured for bipod usage, as well as on M2 tripods - with bipods and stripped down on M2 tripods being used much as a 1919A4 would be.

Hopefully, Tom, Armed2thaTeeth will join the conversation to expound further.

Armed 2 tha Teeth

To add to what Greaser added above, the 1919a6 has been documented in NW Europe among members of the 2nd ID in Brittany around August/September 1944.

Additionally I have spoken to Ed Rawlings, A Co., 398th IR, 100TH ID who claims that his unit received their 1919a6s at Fort Bragg around June/July 1944 before shipping out to the ETO in October 1944. Oddly, in another 1919a6 gunner in I Co., 397th IR, 100TH ID, Paul Mosher claims in his memoirs that they did not receive 1919A6s (or possibly kits to covert their a4s) until they had been in combat (circa Nov.-Dec. 1944).

Please take the time to look at the album of original 1919a6 pictures (in WWII) that I have assembled on my reenacting unit's Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...0098&type=3

Charlie Flick

Armed:

Given your interest in the M1919A6 you would probably be interested in reading the article entitled "Booster Design on Air-Cooled Ground .30 Caliber Browning Machine Guns" by Charles Brown published in the July 2012 edition of the Small Arms Review. It goes into some detail on the booster issue and efforts to refine the gun. It mentions that the M1919A6 went into combat at Salerno in the fall of 1943. Another more general article by Mr. Brown entitled "The Browning M1919A6: Something For Everybody," dated June 2012 can be found on the SAR site.

Regards,

Charlie

Armed 2 tha Teeth

Charlie,

I should have been more specific, but I meant the 1919a6 with the booster which saw action in WWII. I will definitely look at Mr. Brown's articles, do they have any pictures of the experimental boosterless 1919a6 which was used at Salerno?

Charlie Flick

Armed:

Neither article has any combat photos but they do have cuts from the SNLs and TM9-206, as well as recent photos of the involved parts.

Regards,

Charlie

I'll have to get with Charlie to get a copy of the article. We've corresponded back and forth on a number of items. His TM9-260 scans / pdf came from my stuff.

He's done a tremendous job in filling the gaps in Browning 30 research through his study and publication of drawings and production studies. Truly an invaluable research asset.

Just need to round things out with usage research compiled from veteran testimony, unit records (if any), and photos.

Chris-

This is the first photo of a 1919A6 I remember from childhood. It's from Life Magazine's Picture History of WWII, printed in 1950. My parents had this book in the house since it was printed and was the first book that started my interest in WWII history. I remember wondering what that odd machine gun was that looked different from others in the book. Eventually, a copy of Small Arms of the World helped sort it out.

The photo is of Airborne troops forming up after their Rhine crossing in Operation Varsity, March, 1945. Not the best detail, but unmistakeably a 1919A6.

1919A6%20Operation%20Varsity.jpg

jacktar4243

Sorry I have not been on here in a while but thanks to all for the info and the pictures! Armed, I will check out your album for sure. I greatly appreciate it. Thanks again all.

Linedoggie

The Manual I got the images from was missing it's front couple of pages (was new when I was given it at age 13)due to kicking around for years in the basement- but the spine markings indicate it was FM23-55 with a 1945 Printing date

• 5 months later...
vostoktrading

I was just reading "Beyond Band of Brothers" by the late Major Dick Winters and I remembered this thread.

I see that the 506th PIR had some A6's, at least after their jump into Holland.

The first picture is a couple of Easy Company men on a dike on the allied side of the lower Rhine downriver from Arnhem sometime in October of 1944. The second is of troopers of 3rd platoon, Easy Company loading up at Mourmelon on December 18th, 1944 on their way to Bastogne. In both you can see the distinctive butt of the A6. Sorry the pics are so grainy.

As a side note for patch guys, that sure looks like one of those British made 101st patches on that guy at the dike. It would make sense, they were in the UK between Normandy and Market-Garden.

post-7885-0-40722700-1354395568_thumb.jpg

post-7885-0-95062100-1354395588_thumb.jpg

I'm afraid mine has the later flash hider and carrying handle, this was built with an unmolested U.S. GI kit in 30-06 all Rock Island parts that I bought in 1996....finally built it as a semi-auto in 09

404908626.jpg