If only it could speak

doyler

Added this early fixed bail with fiber liner to the collection.This surfaced in an antique shop as a walk in and purchased by a friend of mine.The lady who brought it in told the shop manager her brother had been in the Marine Corps and sent this home from an island he was on when found.The manager never got the ladys name or her brothers or if it was his helmet.Really cant say more about this helmet.Pretty humbling to hold this artifact.Hard not to think or wonder if this helmets owner survived.Fiber liner seems to be loose but have yet to force its removal.The paper is so dry and brittle.All comments welcome and appreciated.God rest your sole where ever you are,You have surely earned it.

post-342-1337669022.jpg

Here you see where the projectile has passed through both shell and liner cutting the crown of the liner as it passed through

post-342-1337669710.jpg

Such a graphic illustration of entry > exit holes...and that tough Hadfield steel is peeled back just like a banana. An awesome relic! I pray that it was not actually being worn by anyone when it took that hit. The consequences would undoubtedly have been catastrophic!

Makes me wonder... Was the brother in the Marine Corps later than WWII? It looks like it was recovered decades later, maybe some marine dug it out of the sand decades later, and sent it home as a souvenir. If it were sent back home during WWII, it will almost certainly have been a lucky man's helmet. GI's liked to cherish this kind of artefacts, life savers etc..

Looks as if it was recovered after WWII though, more or less well preserved in the sand of some Pacific island. No blood stains though..

Very interesting helmet, whatever its history, hope the owner wasn't wearing it at the time of impact.

There is a bnall dent in the back upper left of the helmet shell as well.You can see the corresponding dent in the liner as well

post-342-1337670859.jpg

post-342-1337670984.jpg

Last one for now.I like how you can see the way the person who wore it tied a not in the right chin strap to shorten it.I have seen this done a few times on WW2 helmets.

post-342-1337671265.jpg

Such a graphic illustration of entry > exit holes...and that tough Hadfield steel is peeled back just like a banana. An awesome relic! I pray that it was not actually being worn by anyone when it took that hit. The consequences would undoubtedly have been catastrophic!

Thanks for looking Ian.I completely agree

Makes me wonder... Was the brother in the Marine Corps later than WWII? It looks like it was recovered decades later, maybe some marine dug it out of the sand decades later, and sent it home as a souvenir. If it were sent back home during WWII, it will almost certainly have been a lucky man's helmet. GI's liked to cherish this kind of artefacts, life savers etc..

Looks as if it was recovered after WWII though, more or less well preserved in the sand of some Pacific island. No blood stains though..

Very interesting helmet, whatever its history, hope the owner wasn't wearing it at the time of impact.

Thanks for looking Ken

I dunno :dunno:

Lots of unanswered questions for sure.No further information other than what I was told and posted other than it came out of Florida.Older lady walked it into a antique shop.This is the problem when the people who are the managers or buyers are not intrested or take the time in getting any details

I am speculating if it had lain very long or was buried in any inviorment I would expect the straps to have been gone,all or partially.If the storey is true and it came out of the battlefields of the Pacific the enviorment was very harsh on cloth and canvas.Looking at the liner I can believe it has been some place as it is so dry and brittle.The finnish in hand almost has a black look to it.Like when steel gets hot from heat and is exposed to salt and the elements.THere are a few white specs of old paint on it as if it set on a shelf,garage or basement when some one was painting and it has been splattered.

Around the stainless rim I am not seeing any evidence of multi coats of paint :think: Normally I will see chipping of the multable layers.The interior of what little I see is definately WW2 green color.I also wondered if the color had been a Navy blue or grey and has oxidized to this color over the years.

Doyler,

The splattered paint could very well be of the era. I've had some helmets over the past few years that showed some splattered paint as well, even other colors.

Now, given the condition of the liner it must have been left outside somewhere, be it in a backyard in Florida or on an Island in the Pacific. However, sand is known to preserve quite well. That could explain the condition of the straps, perhaps it was sitting in the sand the other way around (liner up). Quite recently someone recovered a British gas mask in the dunes here. I read an article about it in the news paper. Believe it or not, but it came out untouched! Almost as new, with bag and all. I found it very fascinating, it had been sitting there for over 65 years.

Too bad the guy @ the store wasn't interested to ask her for more information. You could always track down the woman using a local news paper or something? If you really want to know that is...

Nice Marine Corps poncho BTW!!

Cheers!

Ken

That's one heck of a helmet Ron! I love relic helmets that look like they could tell a story, and this one is a real stunner! Congrats on acquiring this one, definitely one to be proud to display!

Rick

No speculation here as to how it made the trip to finally end up in Ron's hands, all I see with this helmet is that it sadly represents someones Swan Song.

Ron,

Congrats on a nice helmet. It is a very poignant reminder of the sacrifices of war. Glad it ended up in great hands.

.....Kat

Corpsmancollector

Heck of a helmet Ron. Must be very humbling to hold it in hand. We can only imagine what might have happened to the owner and like yourself, I sure hope he wasn't wearing it on impact. A true battlefield relic!

Thanks for posting,

Will

I believe there's a good chance this fellow could have survived that hit, barely. If it had entered just an inch or more lower down the crown, then not. If he did come out of it alive it would have been with a big headache, probably a concussion and maybe even a skull flesh wound or fracture.

In my optimistic fantasy, he brought that thing home.

Doyler,

The splattered paint could very well be of the era. I've had some helmets over the past few years that showed some splattered paint as well, even other colors.

Now, given the condition of the liner it must have been left outside somewhere, be it in a backyard in Florida or on an Island in the Pacific. However, sand is known to preserve quite well. That could explain the condition of the straps, perhaps it was sitting in the sand the other way around (liner up). Quite recently someone recovered a British gas mask in the dunes here. I read an article about it in the news paper. Believe it or not, but it came out untouched! Almost as new, with bag and all. I found it very fascinating, it had been sitting there for over 65 years.

Too bad the guy @ the store wasn't interested to ask her for more information. You could always track down the woman using a local news paper or something? If you really want to know that is...

Nice Marine Corps poncho BTW!!

Cheers!

Ken

Thanks Ken

I totally agree with your accesment.I may have to see if I can contact a local paper and try an add.Maybe well worth while.Possibly contact the shop as I have a guy who knows the place locally.May put some questions to rest or validate the story