USMC WW2 MSG named

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

I picking buddy of mine came across this great uniform. I think it is WW2 vintage but I want to be sure. Felt on felt chevrons. Mirrored collar EGA's.

Issues: there is a little mothing on the jacket, but the 2 pairs of pants got the worse of the mothing.

I took the pictures with my phone, so the quaility isn't great, but now that I take a look...do I see two different types of EGA's on the collar?

It is named: Horspool, W.L.

I think I see the imprint of a pair of parachute wings on the left breast. Can anyone help me and confirm this guy was a para-marine?

post-9131-1337663516.jpg

post-9131-1337663598.jpg

post-9131-1337663637.jpg

Corpsmancollector

The EGAs definitely look different from your picture, though it's hard to tell as the photos are a little blurry. The left collar emblem almost looks like a 'droop wing' EGA, but it's difficult to tell...If it is, you did well!

Will

Left EGA is a droop wing and the right appears to be a pre-ww2 EGA. Both are nice and far less common on what you'd expect to find on this tunic. Hopefully you're able to track down who the original owner was....

Great find, congrats!!! :thumbsup:

There is a 1945 news article that mentions a WIlliam L. Horspool who is serving with the IV MAW.

"HORSPOOL BACK ... Recently

returned to this country from

the Pacific is Marine Warrant

Officer William L." Horspool,

29, whose wife, the former Anna

Lou Hunter, lives at 1819 Cabiillo

Avc., Toirance. Paymaster

with £i Fourth Marine Air

Wing group, he was stationed

in Hawaii, Samoa, the New

Hebrides and Marshall Islands.

Enlisting in the Marine Corps in

January, 1935, he served in

Shanghai before the war."

http://www.torranceca.gov/archivednewspape...DF/00000709.pdf

teufelhunde.ret

The emblem on the left collar is the 1921 issue, enlisted emblem. Was worn until the "Gooney's" became the service issue in 1930. Many career Marines continued to use them thru WW2... until they retired.

Looks like his first enlistment was 4 January 1935 (nativity is California). By June 1935 he was in Shanghai China with Co "B", 1st Btn, 4th Marines. He is listed as an RPM Clerk. He made it to rank of Corporal by October 1938.

His second enlistment was in 4 January 1939 as a Sgt in the 11th Reserve. Last muster roll I can find is 31 December 1940.

post-29885-1337713348.jpg

Anybody notice that the sergeant stripes and hash are blue instead of yellow???

I think the lighting makes the coat look blue and the chevrons are probably green & scarlet.

My question would be, why is there only 1 hash mark? :think:

Bill

My question would be, why is there only 1 hash mark? :think:

Bill

Bill,

The hash mark present on the uniform would be for his first 4 year enlistment (Jan 1935 - Dec 1938). He would have been eligible to add the 2nd hash mark to recognize his second 4 year enlistment (Jan 1939 - Dec 1942). However, according to the BIRLS file, once he became eligible, he had been discharged.

With that said, he probably came home, threw his uniforms in a trunk or closet and they sat there for years until his passing. No sense in Horspool updating his uniform if he didn't intend on wearing it again; at least in an official capacity.

After going back and clicking on the link to the newspaper article I think I understand now. MasonK I think is partly right in that he probably just tossed his uniform in a trunk or closet BUT NOT because he was discharged (in 1942 you were in unless severely wounded or disabled, in for the duration + 6 months). The newspaper article states that he was a Warrant Officer and I think he was discharged as an enlisted to become a Warrant Officer and officers don't ware hash marks. :think: :thumbsup:

Bill

After going back and clicking on the link to the newspaper article I think I understand now. MasonK I think is partly right in that he probably just tossed his uniform in a trunk or closet BUT NOT because he was discharged (in 1942 you were in unless severely wounded or disabled, in for the duration + 6 months). The newspaper article states that he was a Warrant Officer and I think he was discharged as an enlisted to become a Warrant Officer and officers don't ware hash marks. :think: :thumbsup:

Bill

You're absolutely right, Bill! I found it strange that he would be discharged in 1942, however felt that this could be because he enlisted prior to WWII and fulffiled his contract. I completely forgot about the article that Beast posted listing him as a Warrant Officer. Strange that the BIRLS file lists his discharge in 1942 and not the actual discharge date (I assume earliest being 1946).

teufelhunde.ret
You're absolutely right, Bill! I found it strange that he would be discharged in 1942, however felt that this could be because he enlisted prior to WWII and fulffiled his contract. I completely forgot about the article that Beast posted listing him as a Warrant Officer. Strange that the BIRLS file lists his discharge in 1942 and not the actual discharge date (I assume earliest being 1946).

Its simple and still practiced to this day, before accepting an appointment (W.O.) or commission, the Marine first must be discharged to end all accounts and terminate the SRB, upon which the swearing in (oath) is given, as an Officer and a OQR is started.

Its simple and still practiced to this day, before accepting an appointment (W.O.) or commission, the Marine first must be discharged to end all accounts and terminate the SRB, upon which the swearing in (oath) is given, as an Officer and a OQR is started.

Thanks, Teufelhunde. Makes perfect sense and I actually knew this. I have a couple Officer groupings that include discharge paperwork from when the individual was an EM/NCO prior to recieving their commssion.

I guess my confusion was the obvious; forgetting Beasts post! But also, I would think the BIRLS file would show all service, even if as an Officer? Obvisouly there are exceptions, especially since for this Marine, it doesn't list his prior enlistments (I've seen other instances where it shows all). I guess chalk this up to the file on Ancestry being incomplete.

Thanks, Teufelhunde. Makes perfect sense and I actually knew this. I have a couple Officer groupings that include discharge paperwork from when the individual was an EM/NCO prior to recieving their commssion.

I guess my confusion was the obvious; forgetting Beasts post! But also, I would think the BIRLS file would show all service, even if as an Officer? Obvisouly there are exceptions, especially since for this Marine, it doesn't list his prior enlistments (I've seen other instances where it shows all). I guess chalk this up to the file on Ancestry being incomplete.

The same on the enlisted side. When you reenlist your paperwork shows that you were discharged the day before for immediate reenlistment.

But you don't get that paperwork (orders and discharge certificate) until you've raised you hand and taken the oath.

Maybe the military is not as dumb as we sometimes think. :lol:

Bill