Ships for Victory ---- Pins

Got da Penny

Got da Penny

Went to my buddys house and he wanted to know if i wanted any of these pins he didnt sell last week.

The smallest one is .925 Sterling :w00t:

These will go great with my others.

post-633-1337650128.jpg

post-633-1337650135.jpg

The 2 larger ones are government issued and are fairly common, but getting harder to find. The smaller one is privately made, and has enameling and is sterling silver and is much rarer than the other two. You didn't show the back of the smaller pin, but sometimes they would have the name of the company who issued it molded on the rear.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have been trying to find out about this "Ships for Victory" pin for a long time. My father was in the Marine Reserve from 1930 to 1934. When Pearl Harbor happened he tried to re-enlist, but he was 4-F for some gastro-intestinal problem. He spent the war working in the steel mills in Gary, Indiana. As an award of merit, he received the "ships for victory" pin. Many years later, by mother showed it to me as she was going through her jewelry box. She said he was very proud of it. I was never able to ask him about it.

Is this how these pins were used, as awards, or were these part of a "war bond" token, i.e. if you wanted to donate to the war effort, you would get this pin? Thanks

Marv

DSC03052-1.jpg

• 7 months later...

Very nice, thanks for sharing. Haven't seen these particular ones. A lot of the ships were made here in the Portland -Vancouver area, so it has a particular interest to collectors in this area.

These were award pins for the workers meeting production quotas. the factories would have been awarded a flag with the same design. I am looking for an actual example of this flag to use in my book!

Funny, I haven't seen these pins. I spotted your post, and two days later picked up one like your larger blue one. I'd like more info on how they were awarded also...

• 1 month later...

And four days later at an antique show, I picked up an affordable second pin - the larger one. Guess these will become an area of interest in my collection.

• 3 years later...

I have duplicates of both of the larger pins in the original posts that I don't need for my collection. Both are sterling. Sell, trade, etc. I've picked up a number of other E for excellence in production.