Odd markings on a P-51

R Michael

Hello all, I thought I would share this image taken from a loarge nagative grouping to a service squadron attached to the 12th AF. do the eyes denote recon missions? I have nyet to see anything like this.

Mike

post-1387-1337610856.jpg

I believe The aircraft may be a Spitfire not a P-51 and the compartment behind the cockpit where a man is working is where the camera was installed on this model. So, the "eyes" probably do represent photo recon missions. Bobgee

AAF_Collection

Hi Bob,

It's Definately an early P-51,not a Spit.

Mike,I'd agree the eyes are probably for recon missions,I've also seen small cameras used to denote recon missions. Do you have any info on which group the Service Squadron was with?.

Matt.

The 111th Tac Recon Squadron used the 'eye' markings on their P-51's much as the bombers used a bomb symbol to show missions. The 111th was attached to the 12th AF. Great photo, hope this helps, Mark

Thanks guys for the great information! The links were very interesting. will look them over better when I get home from work. As for the service squadron I believe it to be the 321st as there are a couple of images in front of the sign post for the unit.

Mike

Johnny Signor

The one early Mustang on the first html above has the 66th Pursuit Sqd (Disney) emblem on it 's tail , check it out , interesting ! The design is of a bird walking wearing a police type hat and swinging a police baton and there are stars around him.

Johnny

Cobrahistorian

Definitely a 111th TRS Mustang, either an F-6A or F-6B. My hunch is, it's an A model (P-51-1-NA, armed with 4 20mm cannon). Shots of 111th airplanes are getting increasingly difficult to find. Really nice shot!

Your Spitfire is a Mk Vc from the 308th Fighter Squadron, 31st Fighter Group. I've got a few 31st FG groupings and I'm trying to locate a photo of Mk Vc ES340.

Jon

Thanks Jon! I appreciate the information. I looked thru the grouping and no image of the Mk Vc ES340. I have another shot of the of the 111th bird with nose art. I am posting the shot.

All the best, Mike

Definitely a 111th TRS Mustang, either an F-6A or F-6B. My hunch is, it's an A model (P-51-1-NA, armed with 4 20mm cannon). Shots of 111th airplanes are getting increasingly difficult to find. Really nice shot!

Your Spitfire is a Mk Vc from the 308th Fighter Squadron, 31st Fighter Group. I've got a few 31st FG groupings and I'm trying to locate a photo of Mk Vc ES340.

Jon

post-1387-1337983503.jpg

Johnny Signor

Your latest photo has the "cannon" ports showing, so like you mentioned the others in the first postings are most likely this "model" too .

Cobrahistorian

Awesome shot! That's definitely an F-6A from the 111th. They were the only unit to deploy with the F-6A/P-51-1-NA and use it in combat, although there is anecdotal evidence that the 27th FG and 86th FG did inherit these F-6As when the 111th transitioned to the F-6C (P-51B) in early 1944.

Thanks again Jon. I have about 4 more of these in the grouping and since I noticed you look for P-47 groupings from the 12th here is a nice shot of a P-47.

Mike

Awesome shot! That's definitely an F-6A from the 111th. They were the only unit to deploy with the F-6A/P-51-1-NA and use it in combat, although there is anecdotal evidence that the 27th FG and 86th FG did inherit these F-6As when the 111th transitioned to the F-6C (P-51B) in early 1944.

post-1387-1338036108.jpg

Cobrahistorian

:drool2:

That's a P-47D-23-RA and it looks newly arrived in-theater. It flew with the 86th Fighter Group and has yet to have its red/white candy stripes added to the empennage. It was named "Edith" and was shot down on a dive bombing mission on 31 December 1944. Its pilot, Lt. Sanborn Hutchins was captured and was repatriated on 7 May 1945.

VERY cool!

Jon

Thanks again Jon. I have about 4 more of these in the grouping and since I noticed you look for P-47 groupings from the 12th here is a nice shot of a P-47.

Mike

WOW! thanks Jon! I really enjoy learning the history on the photos/negatives I am caretaking.

Thanks again! Mike

:drool2:

That's a P-47D-23-RA and it looks newly arrived in-theater. It flew with the 86th Fighter Group and has yet to have its red/white candy stripes added to the empennage. It was named "Edith" and was shot down on a dive bombing mission on 31 December 1944. Its pilot, Lt. Sanborn Hutchins was captured and was repatriated on 7 May 1945.

VERY cool!

Jon

Something to look at---the pic of the aircraft in post#1, that started this conversation, and the top aircraft in the post from 38Driver, might possibly be the same aircraft. Look at pattern of wear on the "eyes", from entering and exiting the aircraft!! Look pretty much the same in both pictures. :thumbsup: Also take note how the rows of "eyes" line up the same when compared to the canopy frame of both aircraft. Could it be the same aircraft??? :think: I think it is a good possibility!!

Cobrahistorian
Something to look at---the pic of the aircraft in post#1, that started this conversation, and the top aircraft in the post from 38Driver, might possibly be the same aircraft. Look at pattern of wear on the "eyes", from entering and exiting the aircraft!! Look pretty much the same in both pictures. :thumbsup: Also take note how the rows of "eyes" line up the same when compared to the canopy frame of both aircraft. Could it be the same aircraft??? :think: I think it is a good possibility!!

I don't think so, but it is possible. Here's why. The first airplane has a ring and bead sight to back up the illuminating gunsight. The second doesn't. The post would be visible forward of the windscreen and you'd be able to see the ring from that angle into the cockpit. Second, the wear on the more forward mission markers seems to be different than those aft (which I agree, are similar to those on the original post). Just my $.02

Jon