1942 Dodge WC-54 Ambulance - Newly Acquired

zepher11

I found a 1942 Dodge WC-54 Ambulance yesterday and I ended up working a good deal for it, so it followed me home. It might cut into my GPW project time a little, but the good thing is that it runs and drives pretty good, so I will keep it like it is for a while and just perform a little TLC. It has a lot of the original parts, but is missing some hard to find items in the rear area. I posted these pictures on another forum, and thought I would post them here as well for anyone that may be interested in checking it out:

Loaded and ready to make the trip back down the canyon. A lot of grades and brakes on the trailer are a must:

002.jpg

003.jpg

A beautiful day with Mount Shasta in the distance at around 14,000 ft. elevation:

008.jpg

My trusty Vizsla co-pilot, Gracie gave it two paws up:

013.jpg

Some of the extra items included a 1942 Musette bag, a VN era Red Cross bag, period IV bottle, Red Cross flag and other medical items:

019.jpg

018.jpg

Other shots of the WC-54:

016.jpg

020.jpg

023.jpg

043.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

044.jpg

034.jpg

I learned that in October ’43 the fuel filler was changed to this model and the many were retrofitted with the recessed filler:

033.jpg

I found out that the engine is out of a ’52 Plymouth. It has a little smoking habit, but appears to run very well:

037.jpg

035.jpg

039.jpg

Thanks for looking….

Zeph

hbtcoveralls

very nice, I've always liked the WC-54. Really great starting point for a restoration, with what appears to be little rust. Good score

Tom Bowers

That's really nice looking! Please post photos during the restoration.

How do you restore the data plates? Can you restore the original ones to look new again? Or do you just leave them as is?

very nice, I've always liked the WC-54. Really great starting point for a restoration, with what appears to be little rust. Good score

Tom Bowers

Tom, you are right. It really has very little, if any, serious rust issues. Surprisingly, especially coming from snow country.

Zeph

How do you restore the data plates? Can you restore the original ones to look new again? Or do you just leave them as is?

Good question on the data plates. I know that there are reproduction plates made for the Jeeps, but not sure on the weapons carriers. Hopefully, they can be restored.

It may be awhile before a proper restoration, however. I should be working on my GPW project! Most likely I will coat it with a paint job and then add the WWII perior markings...then have fun with it for now. I don't want too many unfinished projects laying around...oops, I mean my wife doesn't want too many unfinished projects laying around. Left to my own devices, it would be like a wrecking yard around here. :ermm: ;)

Thanks, Zeph

Zeph

I think your goig to need a larger garage!!!

That's funny. I keep telling my wife the same thing... :think: :lol:

great looking truck
Thanks!

I took it out for a bit of a drive this evening to practice double cluctching. All I can say is that those transmision gears must be made of some very high quality steel! :pinch:

Near the end though I was able to downshift through the gears with just a nip here and there. A couple of times it was flawless with no grinding whatsoever. It is definately a learning experience....but a fun one.

AAF_Collection

Looks like a nice truck. Have you sent for the build card from Chrysler?.

On the subject of dataplates,you can get repro Dodge plates,some are better quality than others(and the bad ones are REALLY bad!) but none are perfect IMO,if that were my truck I'd be very happy to have an original set in the condition of the ones you have,if you want to clean them up I'd suggest a gentle clean with white spirit and then apply Ren wax.

Good luck with the resto!.

Matt(WC-52 and 56 owner).

Looks like a nice truck. Have you sent for the build card from Chrysler?.

On the subject of dataplates,you can get repro Dodge plates,some are better quality than others(and the bad ones are REALLY bad!) but none are perfect IMO,if that were my truck I'd be very happy to have an original set in the condition of the ones you have,if you want to clean them up I'd suggest a gentle clean with white spirit and then apply Ren wax.

Good luck with the resto!.

Matt(WC-52 and 56 owner).

Hi Matt,

I wasn't aware of the build card. That would be interesting to check out. I'll have to find out more information about obtaining the card from Chrysler.

I checked out the data plates and two are readable, one is marginal, and the fourth is just a plate where I can't see anything even with a magnifying glass. Still, very happy to still have the original data plates. There may have been a plate above the passenger seat area next to the wiper motor cover that is missing. The screws are there, but the plate is absent. I don't know what data that may have contained.

Thanks for the feedback, Matt. I appreciated it!

Zeph

Zeph

I think your goig to need a larger garage!!!

I was thinking the same thing! Your jeep restoration is looking amazing. I can't wait to see this one!

....Kat

PS. I love the dog!! You need to dress her up!

I was thinking the same thing! Your jeep restoration is looking amazing. I can't wait to see this one!

....Kat

PS. I love the dog!! You need to dress her up!

Thanks Kat!

Also, here is a photo of our Vizslas, George and Gracie. George is on leave and they are relaxing at the Tiki Bar off base. Note George's Hawaiian style WWII USAAF "Nose Art" shirt...

post-24058-1337970799.jpg

Zeph

• 1 month later...

I found a complete set of rear bench seats for the back compartment that were missing from my WC-54 when I purchased it. They turned out to be in really good shape and have what appears to be the original OD colored fabric and the original brass tacks holding the fabric on. Of course I had to see how they looked so I cleaned up the back compartment a bit and stuck them in there. Here are some photos:

Just arrived from a very long trip. Thank you Greyhound! The long seat was 84” in length, and Greyhound was very reasonable on their shipping:

001-2.jpg

Backside:

004-2.jpg

Close up of the spring loaded hinges. These keep the seats folded unless there is someone sitting on them:

006-1.jpg

A close up of the material. One can see the OD fabric and the original brass tacks:

002-2.jpg

Driver’s side bench which is a couple of feet shorter than the passenger side, due to the spare tire recess:

016-1.jpg

Passenger side:

015.jpg

All installed :rolleyes: I couldn't resist:

013-1.jpg

I found all of the window hardware for the doors. I even found a new set of glass for the vent windows. I am trying to find a place to cut side window glass for

me. I have one shattered glass for the passenger side, so I hope I can piece that together to make a template. If anyone knows where one can get precut glass for a WC-54, let me know :think: :

001-1.jpg

I think I found the roof vent and what I believe is the original fan pieces and parts:

003-1.jpg

I also found the original inner door panels :thumbsup: :

012.jpg

Now I am on the hunt for a driver’s side wiper motor cover and the rear compartment litter brackets. I have a feeling those are even more rare than the bench seats… :pinch:

Zeph

Thanks Kat!

Also, here is a photo of our Vizslas, George and Gracie. George is on leave and they are relaxing at the Tiki Bar off base. Note George's Hawaiian style WWII USAAF "Nose Art" shirt...

post-24058-1337970799.jpg

Zeph

Zeph,

I love your dogs, man! :thumbsup:

Try this outfit for glass: www.classicflatglass.com/index.aspx I've never dealt with them, but their products seem "just right."

You'll quickly find that source 1 for anything WC is Midwest Military, in MN - John Bizal is the owner, and often the person you'll deal with on the phone (http://www.midwestmilitary.net/index.html). He's the cat's meow for WC knowledge, a friendly seller and willing to help anybody with a restoration, and often has the best prices. Close second is Vintage Power Wagons, or VPW (www.vintagepowerwagons.com/). Much like John, only a bit more expensive, and with a split focus between military WCs and civilian PWs.

Good luck!

Steve

Zeph,

I love your dogs, man! :thumbsup:

PS The ambulance is not bad, either! :lol:

Thanks, GB. George and Gracie are a hoot. The kids never had it as good as ol' Burns and Allen have it! :lol: :thumbsup:

Zeph

Try this outfit for glass: www.classicflatglass.com/index.aspx I've never dealt with them, but their products seem "just right."

You'll quickly find that source 1 for anything WC is Midwest Military, in MN - John Bizal is the owner, and often the person you'll deal with on the phone (http://www.midwestmilitary.net/index.html). He's the cat's meow for WC knowledge, a friendly seller and willing to help anybody with a restoration, and often has the best prices. Close second is Vintage Power Wagons, or VPW (www.vintagepowerwagons.com/). Much like John, only a bit more expensive, and with a split focus between military WCs and civilian PWs.

Good luck!

Steve

Awesome, Steve. I will check out Classic Flat Glass. I'm on their website as I type. And I had run accross Midwest Military searching for Jeep parts, but that was awhile ago. I just checked their site and it's just what the doctor ordered regarding WC's.

Thank you, I appreciate the information!

Zeph

• 5 weeks later...

My M37 had the early brass data plates but were in rough shape. I cleaned them in vinegar, then painted them with black engine enamel spray paint (very light coat). Then I went back and brushed them gently with fine sand paper and steel wool to expose the lettering. They turned out very good.