The Centerpiece

Bugme

Painted go devil on both sides and original net still attached.

Great looking helmet :thumbsup: That's a keeper.

Rich

Beau-Brummel

Absolutely Incredible piece, thank you,

Yours, Guy.

Words elude me and: "WOW", seems like an understatement.

'Flage Guy

Recon, thanks for posting that Helmet...nothing short of jaw-dropping.

USMC-RECON0321
Saved his life? Fantastic!! :thumbsup:

Ian,

Thanks and yes he survived (with a life long scar) and lived a long successful life!! I even have a business card of his from his civilian career after the war.

Troy

WOW! There are some unbelievable helmets here! I have nothing to compare, but as far as having one helmet above the rest that I would save if my house was on fire and I could only carry one out it would be this Vietnam era M1C given to me by a longtime friend. It's just a standard M1C with a faded cover and faded chinstraps

I didn't know he sent it to me, and I was surprised when the postman dropped off a 'helmet size' box - (I think we all love getting those size boxes!)

Jim left a note in the box telling me he wanted me to have it. There was also a knife in the bottom of the box. I called him and told him I couldn't accept them but he told me that he insisted and it would hurt his feelings if I sent them back. I told him he should at least keep the knife, but he told me they gave him another 1968 marked knife when he re-enlisted, and they got to keep their knives. He did three tours in Vietnam and retired from the Navy sometime in the 80's. That's one of the great things about Vietnam helmets - sometimes you can still even talk to the owners because they're now in their 60's if they were young during the war. It has complete provenance and he even sent me details of when and where he served, and how he got the M1C - He was a 'River Rat' on a gunboat the whole time he was in Vietnam, and said the M1C's were prized commodities. He talked a young marine into trading his standard M1 and some other things for the M1C, and he kept it until he retired. ('Messing' over a Marine was always a good thing to a Navy guy - no idea why a Marine would have an M1C in the first place)

He said he always took good care of it and sometimes used another helmet that he 'picked up' so the M1C stayed in good shape, and he turned in the other M1 when he got out. He said they were actually pretty strict about making people turn in their issued equipment when they got out.

It's the helmet on the right in the photo below, and his knife is below it. It's faded and has those little holes on top of the cover, but this would be the last helmet I'd ever part with.

DSC07621copyCustom.jpg

DSC07554Custom-1.jpg

DSC07556Custom-1.jpg

That's a nice VN lid Harlan, and a great story to go with it! It's not surprising this is your pick for your favorite helmet!

Rick

That's a nice VN lid Harlan, and a great story to go with it! It's not surprising this is your pick for your favorite helmet!

Rick

I agree. Harlan has actually shown me this lid previously. Just goes to show that a helmet does not necessarily need to be an "all-singing / all-dancing" example in order to be worthy of being considered "a centrepiece".

Here is the one helmet I would keep above all the others in my collection. It's a PTO camouflage helmet. A bit rough but all original.

post-6029-1338608783.jpg

Theorywolf
Here is the one helmet I would keep above all the others in my collection. It's a PTO camouflage helmet. A bit rough but all original.

One of the best I have ever seen!! Really a center piece helmet!!!

Cheers,

Mike

sgtdorango
So out of curiosity if we get a new item that trumps our old one on here are we allowed to re-post? :)

I was just thinking the same thing today!! :lol:

So out of curiosity if we get a new item that trumps our old one on here are we allowed to re-post? :)

Sure, feel free to break ranks if something better has come along. :)

sgtbarnes44

Hi,

Hard to decide the centerpiece of my collection. That one might be it. Found in Normandy a long time ago.

post-647-1338834252.jpg