The Centerpiece

Bugme

Theorywolf

Charly Didominic, PFC, E Company, 331st Infantry, 83rd "Thunderbolt" Division. See signature link below for full memorial to Charly on the 331st website. The helmet was found by a local in Carentan and was kept until I got it about eight years ago. I found the partial name, Di Dom and the serial number scratched on the mud-caked liner. The helmet was matched several years later to Charly's information on the national memorial register. This helmet is the center piece of my collection! Morning reports confirmed that Charley was killed early in the morning on July 25th, the breakout day and the Cobra Operation. A vet's report stated that two patrols were sent out during the evening of 24/25 of July and that one of the patrols never returned and may have been ambushed. I am still hot on the trail researching the final details of Charley's final day.

Cheers to Charly,

Mike

post-576-1337831964.jpg

post-576-1337831978.jpg

Mike, I love this lid! One of my favorite looks for the classic ETO M-1, plain and simple with the wide camo net! Beautiful! :thumbsup:

Rick

Mike, I love this lid! One of my favorite looks for the classic ETO M-1, plain and simple with the wide camo net! Beautiful! :thumbsup:

Yeah, except for the bullet hole in the forehead area. What a poignant reminder of the cost of war.

Some fantastic helmets to be sure.

I see where almost all are WW2 and all M-1's so don't beat me about the head and shoulders to bad for posting a more recent (not grunt) helmet. This is my helmet from my tour with the 240th AHC in 1968. Painted by one of my crew chiefs just before I left country. Not much but I am fond of it. Also posted is a pic of those gallant crewchiefsof the Maddogs (gun platoon) of the 240th AHC that kept us in the air and provided the door gun cover that saved our arse on many occasions.

Terry

post-6022-1337866151.jpg

post-6022-1337866210.jpg

Some fantastic helmets to be sure.

I see where almost all are WW2 and all M-1's so don't beat me about the head and shoulders to bad for posting a more recent (not grunt) helmet. This is my helmet from my tour with the 240th AHC in 1968. Painted by one of my crew chiefs just before I left country. Not much but I am fond of it. Also posted is a pic of those gallant crewchiefsof the Maddogs (gun platoon) of the 240th AHC that kept us in the air and provided the door gun cover that saved our arse on many occasions.

Terry

Hi Terry. Can't get any more "been there" than that. Superb piece!!

Ian :thumbsup:

My contribution. While I have numerous centerpieces, I would have to say this is my best.

Sharp lookin' M1C Hawk'! :thumbsup:

Beau-Brummel

Terry, thank you so much for sharing this!

The absolute holy grale for rotary aviation collectors!

Yours, Guy.

hawkdriver
Sharp lookin' M1C Hawk'! :thumbsup:

You might want to get your glasses out, you have one to many letters and you need to do some addition with that number :D

2v8sd51.jpg

You might want to get your glasses out, you have one to many letters and you need to do some addition with that number :D

2v8sd51.jpg

Show OFF!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

:thumbsup: Never get tired of this one.Bring it to KC so I can take her to my room......

hawkdriver
Show OFF!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

:thumbsup: Never get tired of this one.Bring it to KC so I can take her to my room......

I don't think I will be able to make KC, looks like I am going to have a house full of girl scouts now, papa has to set up the tent.

And, in defense of Ian, I just went back and looked and the yokes are covering the D-bails.

2v8sd51.jpg

Ahhhhh....so it's an M2?! Can't blame me for the misidentification Hawk'....you gotta reveal those all-important D-loops!! :thumbsup:

USMC-RECON0321

Still my favorite, Helmet worn by Charles Vanderpoel 9th ID 60th INF Go Devils when he was hit and wounded for the 2nd time. The shrapnel is still lodged in the helmet.

post-33000-1337955176.jpg

post-33000-1337955192.jpg

post-33000-1337955245.jpg