The Centerpiece

Bugme

Every museum has what are referred to as "centerpiece" items. These are usually one or two items that the museum is known to have that no one else has. It's what draws people to the museum. Here in Wisconsin, there is a great museum called the Wisconsin Maritime Museum and the centerpiece is the WWII submarine: USS Cobia.

The same is true with helmet collectors. We all have a "centerpiece" item in our collection. It's the one piece that if you had only one helmet to keep, this would be the one. So, what's your centerpiece?

Rules: You can only post one here, not two or three... just the ONE that you consider the centerpiece.

I'll start with mine, it's been seen here before, I've got other ones I'd consider centerpiece also but, this is the one that stands above the others. It's a Market Garden Marked 501st, 3rd Bn, Fixed loop, Medic.

Resized_DSCN1778.JPG

Just this one: early McCord fixed bail helmet (some black camo paint to it) and identified 101st airborne Westinghouse liner (Varsity).

pathhelm4.jpg

Cheers,

Ken

'Flage Guy

Gotta say this one, as it's the absolute nicest lid I have in the Pot Pile; unused rigid-bail with near-new Fiber Liner...

post-3226-1337552599.jpg

History Man

Hard to choose but this is mine. 50s era 11th ABN 503rd unit marked MIC. It has its original partner liner, rigger modified ABN liner.

Philip

post-25965-1337553884.jpg

post-25965-1337553890.jpg

post-25965-1337553894.jpg

post-25965-1337553900.jpg

post-25965-1337553976.jpg

post-25965-1337553982.jpg

BigDogMilitaria

My first helmet find, and probably the best one I will ever make came from the Vets estate. I didnt know anything about Hawley liners until I brought it home and began my research. The best $75 i have ever spent on militaria!

Written on the front of the helmet by the Vet: "Lane, WA, Hazel Park, Michigan, Torpedoed August 26, 1943" and there is a dent on the helmet.

tgive018.jpg

tgive017.jpg

Tough call, I have a few favorites that I consider equal as far as a 'centrepiece' would go, but I'll throw my newest display in the mix for a little colour and flavour from the 'other' theatre of war, the PTO....so here is one of my newer lids, a USMC fixed bail, with a 1st pattern camo cover.

post-9167-1337554699.jpg

My first helmet find, and probably the best one I will ever make came from the Vets estate. I didnt know anything about Hawley liners until I brought it home and began my research. The best $75 i have ever spent on militaria!

Written on the front of the helmet by the Vet: "Lane, WA, Hazel Park, Michigan, Torpedoed August 26, 1943" and there is a dent on the helmet.

Wow! Now that is a nice piece with some great history to it! Fantastic!

Rick

Out of all my original Vietnam helmet sets I have, this one has got to be my favorite, I fell in love with it for some reason as soon as I pulled it from the box.

Obtained from the veteran's wife:

helmet1.jpg

helmet4.jpg

helmet11.jpg

helmet5.jpg

For me it would have to be this third-pattern Hawley M1 which, like Flage's above, has been little used is therefore in superb shape.

post-8022-1337583612.jpgpost-8022-1337583605.jpg

EasyRed1944

Although not a M1 shell , i consider this liner to be my centerpiece.

Hood Rubber co. marked liner of the 2nd Rangers Battalion.

052-2.jpg

057-3.jpg

Robin

Tough one but i guess mine would be this Fixed bail and 1st pattern Hawley liner worn by Medic Paul Bernard of the 182nd Infantry Regiment of the Americal Division. This helmet was worn on Guadacanal.

Rich

post-1878-1337601712.jpg

'Flage Guy
For me it would have to be this third-pattern Hawley M1 which, like Flage's above, has been little used is therefore in superb shape.

Ian, that Helmet is literally identical to mine :blink: - right down to the Sweatband and Nape Strap!

I've gotta go home and check the maker on mine (and all the other ones, for that matter), since recieving an education on this (thanks largely to USMF :thumbsup:).

There are some provenanced Helmets in this thread which would fit perfectly in any War museum in the world.

Ian, that Helmet is literally identical to mine :blink: - right down to the Sweatband and Nape Strap!

I've gotta go home and check the maker on mine (and all the other ones, for that matter), since recieving an education on this (thanks largely to USMF :thumbsup:).

There are some provenanced Helmets in this thread which would fit perfectly in any War museum in the world.

Yes indeed 'Flage...hence my comment! Mine has some light sweat-staining on the headband, but that's about it in terms of wear. Must've been issued to a stateside desk-jockey! :lol:

Well....I have several favorites but heres my current one.Just recieved this today.If only it could speak.Veteran of the pacific.I may start a seperate thread on it with additional pictures

RD

post-342-1337652868.jpg

post-342-1337652969.jpg