USS Enterprise September 1940

vostoktrading

vostoktrading

A couple weeks ago I showed some color Battleship pics from Life Magazine in the Ships category.

Found these color pictures from the same time period off Hawaii. Just love these pre-war paint jobs.

Nice detail of the wooden deck on the Enterprise.

Jon.

post-7885-1337483131.jpg

vostoktrading

Flying in to Oahu (westbound). Diamond Head on the right. Probably headed for Ford Island or possibly Barber's Point.

post-7885-1337483389.jpg

vostoktrading

Picture 1, 3 & 4 are TBD Devastator torpedo bombers.

Picture 2 is a SBC Helldiver.

Picture 5 is a SB2U Vindicator. It was also known disparagingly as a "Vibrator" (because it shook so much) & "Wind Indicator" by the Marines.

Jon.

Those old Kodachrome images are so clear and crisp every detail can be seen....superb! Thanks for posting Jon.

Johnny Signor
Picture 1, 3 & 4 are TBD Devastator torpedo bombers. they are from VT-6

Picture 2 is a SBC Helldiver. from Scouting 8

Picture 5 is a SB2U Vindicator. It was also known disparagingly as a "Vibrator" (because it shook so much) & "Wind Indicator" by the Marines. VB-6

Jon.

Johnny

Steindaddie

Excellent photos - thanks for sharing.

PS. The first pictured TBD "6-T-6" was shotdown at Midway.

PSS. The aircraft in pic #5 is a Northrup BT-1. (At first glance, I always think SBD2U Vindicator though.)

vostoktrading

Thanks Steindaddie,

Yes, the TBDs that attacked were pretty much wiped out at Midway.

Very brave fellows crewing those old crates. They had no illusions about what they were getting into. Their sacrifice enabled the dive bombers to come in and nail the Japanese carriers, making Midway a very decisive victory for the US Navy.

If it wasn't for the TBD pilots & crews at Midway, the War in the Pacific could have lasted longer and taken more Allied lives.

Picture 5, yes, of course BT-1. My mistake. It's right there written on the tail.

I would think the model builder guys would like these pictures, both the aircraft & the carrier in color... Useful information here.

Jon.

These are great photos! Just as clear and as colorful as can be.

I believe there was a period made movie "Dive Bomber" that showed the aircraft of the time as well.

One wonders what it was like flying in these machines. It had to be a lot different than the slick aircraft we have today.