Reinforced M42s I have a question?

Tom Kibler

Tom Kibler

I have been exceedingly fortunate over the years to acquire some wonderful reinforced M42 jackets. I have an unidentified 101st, an two positive ID's 82nd jackets (504 and a 505) and one probably (though not positive) ID'd 82nd.

So my question is this; Is anyone aware of a 17th AB (certainly a 507th trooper) that jumped over the Rhine into Germany wearing a "Reinforced" M42?

An acquaintance of mine has an ID'd 507th set used in Normandy and it is NOT reinforced. Did the 507th reinforce their sets for Normandy? If so, I can understand the possibility of some of the troopers using them in Operation Varsity.

If so, were the M42s patched with the Talon of the 17th?

Anyway, here are some of my jackets.

post-6293-1337395793.jpg

img819.jpg

glider soldiers ready fro the Rhine,fell on the right seems to be wearing "overlord" style 42 pants

This is from J_Andrews airborne album,a real treasure and worth picking up

Tom

Several years ago I spoke with a collector from Arkansas or Alabama through the AMMUCC Footlocker.He had a M42 suit ID'd to a 17th guy.It had pistol belt type woven canvas reinforcements on the elbows and knees.Cant tell you if it was worn at Varsity or not

THe pants in the above picture look like modified 43 pants to me.I have a set(43s) I believe are either 82nd or 17th.Also have a set of the 43s from a 101st/506th vet.

RON

Tom Kibler
Tom

Several years ago I spoke with a collector from Arkansas or Alabama through the AMMUCC Footlocker.He had a M42 suit ID'd to a 17th guy.It had pistol belt type woven canvas reinforcements on the elbows and knees.Cant tell you if it was worn at Varsity or not

THe pants in the above picture look like modified 43 pants to me.I have a set(43s) I believe are either 82nd or 17th.Also have a set of the 43s from a 101st/506th vet.

RON

Thanks Ron. I've had one set of M43's and was forced (due to financial reasons a long time ago) to let them go. I regret it.

That's a wonderful photo!

By Div SOP, SSIs were not to be worn/displayed on outer garments in the ETO. However, every so often, a violation will turn up in photos.

I have an M42 from a VARSITY vet, who wore it UNDER his M43 jacket. The early part of the day was cold and wet, but the sun rose and it became too hot for "the layered look", so he ditched his M43 jacket and went around wearing his M42 over M43 trous.

For Normandy, the 507th wore only 82nd SSIs.

Tom, there's that pic of the two 17th guys pulling beers in Munster - one has a reinforced M42 Jacket on. However.... just to be awkward, he's a 194th GIR Sergeant...!

Oh, and the 507th apparently had about a split of reinforced/non-reinforced in Normandy. Drop me a pm.

Cheers,

Glen.

• 2 weeks later...

Look closely at the cargo pocket on his left leg. It has snaps on it. Most definitely 42's.

manayunkman

For the length of time you have collected airborne items you have acquired some remarkable things. Is that Sheaffer's jacket and is there a flag on the other sleeve ?

Very nice Tom

It was COMMON in the 17th for men in GLIDER units to be, in fact, PARACHUTE-QUALIFIED. I knew several vets who were Paras in Glider outfits. Some Paras were sent to the glider qualification course -- just to humble them (Oh, "cross-train") and give them some empathy for the non-jump glider-riders.

Further, the glider guys were wearing JUMP boots when the Div arrived in the UK vets told me that leggings were then a mark of non-combat arms personnel in the Div base (QM, OD, MD, SC)

Johan Willaert
Tom, there's that pic of the two 17th guys pulling beers in Munster - one has a reinforced M42 Jacket on. However.... just to be awkward, he's a 194th GIR Sergeant...!

post-92-0-10279100-1399537240.jpg