"Battleship"

willysmb44

willysmb44

I took today off from work to get my jeep and display ready for Armed Forces Day tomorrow (heading out to the garage to fire it up right after posting this) and found a local theater was running, "Battleship" at 9AM, so I went.

Not a bad movie, and yes, they DO work in how the game is played into a part of the movie in a way that makes reasonable sense (I never would have guessed anyone could write the game into the movie in a way that won't make you laugh but I gotta give them credit for how they did it). Just look past all the holes in logic, physics and military reality and enjoy yourself.

No spoilers, but YES, the Mighty Mo does slug it out with an alien spacecraft near the end. I was amazed at how good a job they did with the digital stuff, it really looks like they got her out to sea again in some parts of the film. That to me was worth the price of admission, just to see the ending of the film. Don't leave your seat for the last about 40 minutes or so. Great role by a real-life combat wounded vet as well.

Good "popcorn flick," I really liked it and will surely get it on DVD when it comes out. :thumbsup:

willysmb44

No spoilers in this comment...

Just got back and agree with what was said above! Great movie!
Didn't you just love it when they fired the first volley off the Mighty Mo? Man, that alone was worth seeing it even if the rest of the movie had stunk (which it didn't)!

I'm sure this will be appreciated over on another thread running right now about too outsized for the uniform

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-05-1...attleship-movie

Navy Wanted Slimmer Sailor For Role in ‘Battleship’ Movie

During the making of the movie “Battleship,” the science fiction thriller pitting U.S. naval forces against alien attackers, the Navy requested just one key change: replace an overweight actor portraying an officer with a slimmer one, according to director Peter Berg.

I just got back from the movie and really liked it.

I would be especially critical having spent five+ years of my life as a combat systems department officer (Fire Control Officer, Weapons Officer, and Combat Systems Officer, and at one point, Executive Officer) and I'm honestly not. There were a few parts of the movie that they could have improved on, but it wasn't bad as it was for realism Navy-wise. And as far as the category of "mindless blow-em-up entertainment"...it was FANTASTIC!

I called my wife after I got out of the theater and will be taking her and her dad (a retired Navy CAPT) to see it next week.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dave

willysmb44
I'm sure this will be appreciated over on another thread running right now about too outsized for the uniform

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-05-1...attleship-movie

An interesting part of the same story:

Berg’s crew filmed the Missouri in January 2010 during a brief, at-sea foray as it returned from dry dock to its permanent site near the USS Arizona after an $18 million maintenance and preservation upgrade.

Tugboats towed the Missouri about two miles offshore Honolulu’s Waikiki Beach. Special effects artists recreated the battleship for its climactic encounter with aliens.

“Her historic albeit brief ‘voyage’ was an image not seen since the ship’s arrival in Hawaii in 1998,” according to the production notes.

I had no idea they'd done that! No wonder some of those scenes of the Mighty Mo underway looked so good, she was really was out to sea! :thumbsup:

Also on another note the SYFI channel played a movie called American Warships that had the Iowa playing the same part fighting aliens , Pretty cheap though a few effects were ok.

I saw it over the weekend, and was pleasantly surprised - it was an entertaining movie. Had to explain to my son though why in real-life it wasn't likely that someone could commandeer a moth-balled WWII ship into battle like that, especially to find one with fuel & live ammo... and also where all of the "old guys" came from...

battlebaby99

My girlfriend and I really enjoyed the movie. Was great to see some different SCI-FI movie and new ideas. The movie house was packed here in Erie,Pa. I liked it and how they worked in the ships and stories. Old Veterans can fight indeed.

We got into the hype and bought the movie addition BATTLESHIP game lol. I have the 1st electronic Battleship game from the 1980's and it still works in the original box.

I say don't listen to the movie reviews, see it for yourself. There is many a movie that reviews as 4 stars and so sucks, anyone remember The English Patient?

Pat

• 3 months later...

The DVD is out and I bought it. I've watched the fight between the Mighty Mo and the aliens at least 3 times in the past few days.

The 'making of' segments are really good, especially with some great coverage of the Mo in drydock and being towed into open water. I was hoping they'd show some of that. Well worth the $16.95 I paid at the local store...