MAJ Lester USAAF WWII Grouping

WarrantMafia

WarrantMafia

I picked up today the following group directly from the family just a few miles away. (I have only got this luck a few times)

MAJ Lester - US Air Force, started out in the Army Air Corps as a bombadier in the B-17. He obtained the rank of E7, Warrant Officer and later Major.

I picked up his Air Force Uniform (1950's) with Warrant Rank.

The family is bringing the last class A uniform as a Major and the WW2 NCO uniform to my house tonight!

I got most of the medals, 100+ photos and unit history books with his individual citations. I scanned a few for now - I also have bombing raid photo of targets.

Oddly they have the location, but some data was clipped of of each photo by the S-2 folks.

He served in the 571st Squadron, 390th Bombardment Group

Here is a little of what I could get posted today.

MAJ Lester - ended up as a District Attornery for our county.

I will post more a little at a time if folks are interested.

post-72395-1337105013.jpg

post-72395-1337105024.jpg

AAF_Collection

Sounds like a very interesting group and I for one would like to see more!.

Can you post pictures of the unit histories? I'm always interested to see those!.

Matt.

WarrantMafia

Last mountain photo is obviously not paris - darn scanner is getting tired. It is of the Italian Alps.. Top phot had a caption of Paris

Great grouping and really neat photos! Any idea what B-17 he was on? The wings on his tunic are gunner's wings, not bombardier's wings, so its probable that he was a "toggle switch" gunner. Very Cool!

WarrantMafia

I'm not a quarter thru this yet, but here are some missions he has photo's so far:

The bulk indicate "For Personal use only - censored and approved" signed John D. May, Capt S-2

Missions I have come accross to date are:

Frankfurt

Munster

Rjuken

Bremen

Danzig

Bohlen

Munich

Reutlingen

Paris

Also a citation or confirmation of shooting down a ME 110

post-72395-1337116273.jpg

post-72395-1337116284.jpg

post-72395-1337116296.jpg

post-72395-1337116308.jpg

WarrantMafia

more missions

He indicated on the back of the Bremen mission: somithing to the fact a real "killing" and I could not make out the last word

post-72395-1337116351.jpg

post-72395-1337116363.jpg

post-72395-1337116375.jpg

post-72395-1337116386.jpg

WarrantMafia

final pic for day - need to cook dinner and get my kids to practice.

He indicates the ball gunner is a freind that transfered with him by the name of Peter Ropernils

post-72395-1337116625.jpg

post-72395-1337116632.jpg

post-72395-1337116639.jpg

WarrantMafia

Ok - I said Bombardier - he was a tail gunner. Served on a 3 aircraft - 2 were shot down (lucky for him, he was not on those birds at that time) and final was damaged.

Served on the "Short Stuff", "rick-O-Shay' and not sure of the last one.

Other missions found:

Hanau 10/04/43

Schweinfurt 10/14/43

Wihelmshaven Nov 43

WarrantMafia

Here is a silly photo to family and a "Lions Club" introduction well after the war.

I need to figure out how to scan the big photo that are bigger than 8X11 - may have to take photos.

post-72395-1337126318.jpg

post-72395-1337126328.jpg

Johnny Signor
Great grouping and really neat photos! Any idea what B-17 he was on? The wings on his tunic are gunner's wings, not bombardier's wings, so its probable that he was a "toggle switch" gunner. Very Cool!

Yeah , but if you look closely in the two photos he is wearin two different types of wings ............................

Johnny

Yeah , but if you look closely in the two photos he is wearin two different types of wings ............................

Johnny

You mean the aircrew wings? I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at...

Johnny Signor
You mean the aircrew wings? I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at...

One of his wings is the "aerial gunner"(winged bullit) the other looks to be the "aircrew" type with the round center. the photos in post #6.

WarrantMafia
One of his wings is the "aerial gunner"(winged bullit) the other looks to be the "aircrew" type with the round center. the photos in post #6.

Could he have done another assignment first/position? I did confirm he was a tail gunner - just wondering if he moved around.