British Made-for-US Gear

Sabrejet

Laurent M.

Ian, great topic, they are plenty of british made items, I really like to collect them also.

This is a picture of 3 british made wire cutters pouches.

post-8590-1337113501.jpg

Laurent M.

Craig, i also like your pictures with all different models in size, color, markings, closing stud.

Do you think the green od models have been redyed? I have one in my collection with clear readable markings in green od as it is the case for the wire cutters pouch also. I don't think those two items were redyed but factory made in green od? What do you think?

Laurent M.

craig_pickrall

Ammo bag

Sorry but this is the only pic I took of it.

post-5-1337113909.jpg

Craig...thanks for the additions. Typically well documented! Those rough-outs are intriguing! :think:

craig_pickrall
Craig, i also like your pictures with all different models in size, color, markings, closing stud.

Do you think the green od models have been redyed? I have one in my collection with clear readable markings in green od as it is the case for the wire cutters pouch also. I don't think those two items were redyed but factory made in green od? What do you think?

Laurent M.

It is very possible some of this gear was made in the OD7 shade. I do not have any of it however. I have several pieces that are in OD7 but in every case I have been able to find a spot of OD3 khaki somewhere on the item. I do know that the QM was redying OD3 gear to OD7. Items pulled in for repair or from other sources that were intended for re-issue were redyed in OD7. I have quite a few US made items that are redyed.

Have you seen any of the British made US gear that was made in 1945? I have items made in 1943 and 44 but none from 45. The 43 and 44 made gear would have most likely been made in OD3.

ThompsonSavage
Have you seen any of the British made US gear that was made in 1945?

Yes :) fieldgear and uniform items. I'm sure members who have 45 dated BM stuff will post some pictures.

Personally, I've never seen any items dated other than '43 /'44, but that's not to say that there aren't any. By '45 the bulk of US forces had left Britain and were on the continent, advancing towards Germany, so presumably the need for and production of British-supplied gear was beginning to taper off as the US war industry was in top gear and, once the ports of Cherbourg and Antwerp were functioning, supplies began arriving direct from the US.

ThompsonSavage

At least 2 members have 45 dated BM officers trousers and one has a 45 dated BM dispatch case, but I'll let it up to them to post pictures.

For sure..I'm not saying there isn't any '45 dated BM stuff, just that by then production totals must have tailed off considerably.