British Made-for-US Gear

Sabrejet

The M-1928 Haversack was one of the most nightmarish tangles of straps and buckles ever issued to US infantrymen! To pack it correctly needed time and space...something not necessarily readily available in the combat zone! Nevertheless, it remained standard issue until the gradual adoption of the improved '44/45 pack systems very late in the war.

When American troops began to arrive in the UK in ever increasing numbers during Operation Roundup ahead of D-Day, British industry provided the US Army with a wide range of equipment by way of "reverse lend-lease". This equipment was manufactured to US specifications although there are subtle differences determined by the local availability of various raw materials and manufacturing styles etc. Being "theatre-made" it's quite highly sought after by collectors of field gear but is becoming much harder to find these days. Most basic items of US gear had a British-made equivalent...rifle-belts, musettes, canteen carriers, first-aid pouches etc. Here's an example of a British-made M-1928 Haversack from 1943.

The most obvious visible difference is the use of British-pattern hardware, the same as that found on British Army web-gear. Sometimes, as here, the British-style "open" hooks were replaced with US-style spring-clips. The cotton duck used in the construction of the haversack (and musettes too) is of a slightly lighter weight than typical US-made cotton duck. Also, colour-wise it can be anything from a light khaki to a distinctly greenish-khaki shade. The woven cotton web straps are of similar weight to their US equivalents. The pack-tail extension on British-made haversacks is attached by a web strap rather than a leather one as typically found on US made items. The detachable meat-can pouch is very like the US equivalent.

post-8022-1337066899.jpgpost-8022-1337066907.jpg

These unissued British-made first-aid pouches used to be quite common and inexpensive...though I'm not sure that's still the case today!

post-8022-1337081036.jpgpost-8022-1337081047.jpg

There is some British-made stuff out there today!

AWESOME collection, and a very interesting set of British-made gear!

(You aren't biased any are you?!!!) ;)

AWESOME collection, and a very interesting set of British-made gear!

(You aren't biased any are you?!!!) ;)

Thank you Harlan. Biased? :w00t: No, not at all...but being a British collector of USGI items I do like to collect stuff with a British connection. Consequently, I have British-made web-gear, uniforms, wings, insignia and patches etc. To me it's local...to you it's "theatre-made"!! Actually, my favourite item is a "Made in Wales" ETO jacket, as below!

post-8022-1337088680.jpg

post-8022-1337090017.jpg

This superb pre-war colour image of a signaller in the field clearly shows a fully loaded and tightly packed "Doughboy" haversack (with pack-tail) in text book order. Obviously not a British-made one at this time, but effectivey the same. Note also the blue denim work uniform, later replaced by OD HBTs. Also the reverse holstered revolver.

(Thanks Harlan :thumbsup: )

Jack's Son

Ian,

I am stunned at the diverse collection you have. I will leave in the Masters Words........Your collection is evidently world class! :thumbsup:

Ian,

I am stunned at the diverse collection you have. I will leave in the Masters Words........Your collection is evidently world class! :thumbsup:

You are too kind JS! :blush: Variety is the spice of life! I've always been a "universal" GI collector, not limited to just patches, or wings, or medals etc (though I do have sub-collections of those too) By throwing the net wide these past 25 years or so it's helped maintain my levels of interest.

craig_pickrall

I've got a good bit of Brit made US gear but haven't taken photos of that many pieces. I will have to look around and see what I have.

This is one item that immediately came to mind.

post-5-1337111318.jpg

post-5-1337111333.jpg

post-5-1337111341.jpg