BG DeWitt Clinton Armstrong III Display

GIl Sanow

Some years back I came into contact with BG DeWitt Clinton Armstrong III, US Army (ret) -- he was a January, 1943 USMA graduate who went on to a 30 year career in the Army. He saw action with the 14th Armored Div in WW2, trained on atomic weapons after the war, commanded armored Cav Squadrons on the German border and did 2 tours in Vietnam. His last job was as CG at Fort Devens.

I met him when he answered an ad in Military Trader seeking GO's fatigues back in '96. Ultimately I helped him dispose of his accumulation of old uniforms, etc. as he was getting ready to down size and move into a condo in the DC area. (Oh, his father was also a BG and USMA grad. I got some of his father's things too.) I kept what I considered to be the best of the lot and passed the rest on to other collectors.

Anyhow, I recently got some of his uniforms out and displayed them at the GLMCA Show at Toledo this weekend.

Since it was the only US display, and since it is indeed a grouping, I chose to show it here rather than with the show report. Enjoy!

First is an overall view, followed by closeups of the individual sections.

140_4068__2___Small_.JPG

140_4069__2___Small_.JPG

140_4070__2___Small_.JPG

And here's the center section which features and outline of his career, including the appropriate patches, and his GO pistol -- a Colt Hammerless .32, a couple of his plaques and his desk name plate.

140_4071__2___Small_.JPG

140_4073__2___Small_.JPG

And here's the center section which features and outline of his career, including the appropriate patches, and his GO pistol -- a Colt Hammerless .32, a couple of his plaques and his desk name plate.

Phenomenal display Gil. Could we see a close up of the Ike?

Impressive display!

Rich

I have some of his dad's stuff too -- BG Clare Hibbs Armstrong, USMA 1917. Commanded "Antwerp X", the antiaircraft defenses of Antwerp too

I debated a joint display. but decided not to do it this time.

G

Gil,

As always a great display. What a nice set of uniforms. Did you take any award from the show? Close-up of ribbon bar always appreciated. You know how I am.

Thanks for sharing. Thanks for displaying a great group.

4starchris

Phenomenal display Gil. Could we see a close up of the Ike?

Impressive display!

Rich

Here you go!

140_4089__2___Small_.JPG

Gil,

As always a great display. What a nice set of uniforms. Did you take any award from the show? Close-up of ribbon bar always appreciated. You know how I am.

Thanks for sharing. Thanks for displaying a great group.

4starchris

Here you go!

Yes, this one took first place -- no cash award, no plaque, just a lifetime membership in GLMCA. Too bad I didn't get that when I was a lot younger. Can't decide if I will display next year -- Not sure what I would do with a second life membership if I won!

140_4090__Small_.JPG

Thanks G. I like the way you put the generals pic with the uniforms. What a nice touch. Are the pics a pic of the general wearing the uniform?

Also interesting that he wears a China Order of the Cloud and Banner.

Also I see you are from Ohio. I go to Newton Falls just south of Cleveland 4-5 times a year. Is that close to you. Northeasr.

4starchris

Chris -- I was not aware Armstrong had any Chinese decorations -- just the French CdeG and the rest are SVN.

Newton Falls is near Akron -- I am 20 miles west of Cleveland near the Ohio Turnpike. PM me when your next trip to the area nears -- maybe we can get together.

G

G. The ribbon just below the vietnam Service Medal with four stars? Maybe its the light or pic angle. I just thought it was the China Cloud and Banner. You should know better than I. Just looked that way. Sorry.

I will take you up on your offer to call you. Akron is close.

Thanks again as always a great thread.

4starchris

G. The ribbon just below the vietnam Service Medal with four stars? Maybe its the light or pic angle. I just thought it was the China Cloud and Banner. You should know better than I. Just looked that way. Sorry.

I will take you up on your offer to call you. Akron is close.

Thanks again as always a great thread.

4starchris

Looks like that's the National Order of Vietnam, 5th Class. The ribbon between it and the Croix de Guerre is hard for me to make out clearly. Is that the RVN Armed Forces Honor Medal, 1st Class?

Looks like that's the National Order of Vietnam, 5th Class. The ribbon between it and the Croix de Guerre is hard for me to make out clearly. Is that the RVN Armed Forces Honor Medal, 1st Class?

I believe both of your IDs are correct.

Thanx.

G

I believe both of your IDs are correct.

Thanx.

G

You're welcome, Gil. Awesome uniforms, by the way. I hope to have some stuff of that caliber in my collection one day :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Hi

A friend and I recently bought quite a few items at a sale for the estate of Dewitt Armstrong iv,held by his widow, Pia. Dewitt iv, known as "Dewey", was the son of General Dewitt C, Armstrong iii. My dad lives just a few blocks from their house.

Most of the items we purchased had belonged to Dewey's father and grandfather, Brig. Gen. Clare H. Armstrong, of Antwerp X fame. Among the items were a couple of handpainted steins, with tanks on the lids, and inscribed Lieut. Col. Dewitt C. Armstrong iii. One of them had an amazing painted battle scene on it, and text of the history of the unit back to the Indian Wars.

Two very special items that I bought were 2 books about their Scottish and Armstrong family heritage from Dewitt III to his son, Dewey, both inscribed with special messages to Dewey and signed with full signatures by his fatther Dewitt III..

I also picked up a medal struck in Belgium by a well known medal artist of that time, of Clare H. Armstrong in profile, the legend including his name and "Antwerp X".

Another item is a beautiful small engraving of a species of partridge, inscribed by the artist to B.G. Clare H. Armstrong .I assume Clare H. Armstrong had also given Dewey the engraving by a currently well-traded Belgium artist who died in 1946, as Clare had commanded 22,000 men and AAA batteries in Antwerp, shooting down an astonishing 8000 v-1 buzz bombs which would have fallen on Antwerp.

A large aluminum charger with the Armstrong name in the center.

3 Mexican or Indian blankets.

I had not heard that Dewey had passed away. His father was quite an Armstrong historian, so I am not surprised he would have passed that material on to his son. I think the son got his dad's West point shako and uniform. The dad would attend Scottish events wearing his BG's mess jacket with an Armstrong clan kilt!

I too have one of the Antwerp medals, and I think I have a spare if anyone is interested.

I may be putting the last of his green uniforms on the market shortly. Do let me know if you are interested.

G

• 7 years later...

Old Topic I know, but just seen this.

One of his Fatigue shirts when he was in the 2nd Armd Div, it was sold long time ago, but a couple of images of it are still around.

dewitt 2.PNG

dewitt.PNG