Silver Lifesaving Medal, (Unattributed)

Jack's Son

Gents,

This medal is a more rare variation of the 1947 and is dated June 20, 1874 on the obverse at the 5 O'Clock position. Think of it as transition period.

Here are better pics; i think. Sorry but my camera is at work.

post-8847-1337013384.jpg

post-8847-1337013401.jpg

LuftStalg1
Gents,

This medal is a more rare variation of the 1947 and is dated June 20, 1874 on the obverse at the 5 O'Clock position. Think of it as transition period.

Here are better pics; i think. Sorry but my camera is at work.

Ah yes, very nice! :thumbsup:

Jack's Son

Very nice indeed R. The new pix helped me with the planchet, my eyes are failing fast then my mind!

Thank you for posting it, the medal is beautiful!

Jack's Son
Look closely JS. You can clearly see the numeral "2" at the 3 O'Clock position within the laurel leaves on the reverse side of the medal. Could that be the last numeral in 1942?

The case and the documenattion make this piece. Nice find.

I noticed the number"2", as you have mentioned, however I cannot make out any other letters or numbers with a 15x glass.

There is also a small "Bilp" near the 9 O'Clock area, that will have to be looked at also.

Speaking of finds, Rocco, you did pretty well yourself!! :thumbsup:

LuftStalg1

I remember a show involving law inforcement using acid on guns that had the Serial Numbers ground off. Some how the acid shows the stress lines (numbers) still in the metal even after the visibile lines have been removed. Might be worth looking into? I have a pre 1949 document and post 1949 replacement medal set but nothing this nice. Very coll JS! And I do think the case makes for a better show, I would love to find just the case! :twothumbup:

Jack's Son
And I do think the case makes for a better show, I would love to find just the case! :twothumbup:

I hadn't mentioned it, but the ruffle work of the satin, give the case a "watery" look that sets the medal off.

roadrunner
Hello

Did they remove the engraving on the reverse?

Michael

You've seen the number 2, which was what I meant.

Have you ever seen under the deposit, often documents are folded down below?

Michael

Jack's Son
Have you ever seen under the deposit, often documents are folded down below?

Michael

Yes, Michael,

That was the second place I looked for hidden treasure, nothing there! :(

bunkerhillburning
I am going to take it to be photograhped under a highpower microscope. I don't expect to find anything.

More than likely it was never issued. Dont think you would be able to remove any engraving without it being noticable.

A very good medal. Recently saw one from 1958 and the style is the same as late 19th century, early 20th century. Some of the 19th century life saving medals have a brief account of the heroics engraved on the back and are really interesting. One detailed a man jumping into Boston Harbor during Winter to rescue a young girl.

Jack's Son
More than likely it was never issued. Dont think you would be able to remove any engraving without it being noticable.

Take a look at the back of the medal. There is the number "2" still visible at the 3 O'Clock position , that is the motavation for further looking.

KASTAUFFER

Has anyone seen a Silver Lifesaving Medal with that style of slot brooch before? Its the way the pin itself is attached to the brooch that I have not seen before.

Kurt

SEABEEBRIAN

When I went to Coast Guard HQ a couple of years ago I learned that when they make engraving mistakes the medals are sent back to the manufacturer and aren't melted but sort of "re-stamped". My impression is that is what happened here.

Jack's Son
Has anyone seen a Silver Lifesaving Medal with that style of slot brooch before? Its the way the pin itself is attached to the brooch that I have not seen before.Kurt

Kurt,

I have searched for a good picture of the medal online, and in a couple of books. I can't find anything that is current, let alone a slot brooch except for Rocco's.

Hi JS!

What a B E A U T Y ! Wish I could add some helpful info to this thread, but I'm just loving the eye candy :drool2:

The sewn slot is quite an interesting variation that I hadn't seen before on this era award. Perhaps the same transition period when the Merchant Marine Mariner's Medal went from a silver full wrap brooch to dark silver sewn slot. Regardless you have quite the treasure there and I really enjoyed seeing it!

My best to you!

Joe

Jack's Son

Joe! Long time since I have heard from you!

Thank you for the kind comments, hope you will stop by more offen. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...