Medal with leather drape - Were medals issued with leather drapes?

Tom Pearcy

I have had this medal for 35 years. I got it from my father and I don't know where he got it since he was a WWII vet. Maybe he found it. Since it is leather, I'ld like to think it might have belonged to some crafty Marine. Semper Fi, Tom

post-244-1200195538.jpg

post-244-1200195578.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
collectsmedals

My guess would be a home made replacement for a damaged or missing ribbon, certainly not something that was issued that way.

• 5 months later...
Fred Borgmann
I agree that it was not issued that way, that's a given. I also agree that someone has replaced the original ribbon (worn out or not) with leather. what is puzzling is that whoever did it went to a lot of trouble doing it . It is hand stitched and well crafted for as thick of leather as it is. Why leather and not a new replacement ribbon or some other piece of cloth? That would have been a whole lot easier (for such a common medal). I guess one can only speculate. Was it done by a Marine? (I'ld like to think so). Is the leather a piece of a German's belt? Why it was done I will never know. It has perplexed me these 35 years it has been in my possession.

I have an Indian Wars Campaign medal like that on a leather ribbon replacement with a large star. The ribbon has a watch fob type suspension. The loop looks like a replacement and the ring is a small keyring type. The medal is not numbered. Fred

post-591-1215990072.jpg