1960's War Toys

Dirk

Jack's Son

Dirk, Manchu......you guys had the high-end toys! I did have a BIG collection of Army men that were dark green, had several poses, and a selection of rifles, knifes, grenades, and flame throwers that would snap in and out for different battle scenes.Those were my CLAIM TO FAME on our block!

Manchu Warrior
Originally I was "issued" a camo painted Thompson sub machine gun with a green canvas strap.....but after a number of hard years of "campaigning" it fell apart....so my father took me to a big city department store to select a new weapon.....I was tempted by the tripod mounted machine gun (a mock up of a 50 cal weapon...so saith Sears) but felt it would restrict me to a static defensive position so I opted for another Thompson instead....I must admit I like my older one but they stopped making it by then. These were, like most guns...cap firing....yes I had the M-14 Johnny Eagle later but broke the barrel on my first day out with it!

You mentioned the Johnny Eagle M-14 and it reminded me that I had one and I had to run upstairs and take it outside to snap some photos before the sun went down. Other than the very tip of the barrel being snapped off it is in pretty good shape. The other one, although not really military, is pretty realistic. It was made in Japan and it says Frontier Derringer on it looks and feels real. They surely don't make toy guns like this anymore.

post-1412-1336868666.jpg

Oh that Johnny Eagle is nice!

rr01:I remember an H-21 "Whirlybird" that had a working winch that raised and lowered and the back of the helicopter opened up to drop off troops and vehicles.

JS The soldiers you describe sound like MPC "ring hands" with snap on equipment and helmets....I had a set of MPCs for the Civil War. I still have a few, but long lost the kepis, and rifles and canteens.

The Meatcan
The front side of the lunch box....These came with a glass lined thermos that as you can guess, broke...rather quickly......

Dirk - awesome stuff you still have! I had that same GI Joe lunchbox and thought I was pretty hotsh*t at the time. Loved the bottom (I think it was) with the Joe bazooka gunner blowing the crap out of that Tiger tank!

I also had the Combat! playset with my all-time favorite camo-patterned plastic Thompson. I know I've posted this pic before on The Forum but I always get a chuckle out of seeing it again.

Thanks guys for the "Nostalgia Tour" :lol:

Terry

post-1208-1336870456.jpg

Terry: Great shot! I never got a uniform...only a couple of helmets.....but the Wish Book shows a green beret uniform, a Marine dress blue set and an set somewhat like yours...agree about being pleased with the GI lunch box....I remember ditching my Jetson's box once I realized Joe had his own lunch box!

Originally I was "issued" a camo painted Thompson sub machine gun with a green canvas strap.....but after a number of hard years of "campaigning" it fell apart....so my father took me to a big city department store to select a new weapon.....I was tempted by the tripod mounted machine gun (a mock up of a 50 cal weapon...so saith Sears) but felt it would restrict me to a static defensive position so I opted for another Thompson instead....I must admit I liked my older one better but they stopped making it by then. These were, like most guns...cap firing....yes I had the M-14 Johnny Eagle later but broke the barrel on my first day out with it!

A Thompson with a scope and a silencer? That is quite the concept! And major cool!

Championhilz

One of my favorite toys growing up in the 1970's was the Marx Battleground World War II Set - I got it for my birthday about 1975, and I loved it! The set had everything a small boy needed to start a major land war in Europe - Soldiers, tanks, half-tracks, bunkers, pontoon bridges, bombed out buildings, rolls of barbed wire, and much much more. Mine is long gone, but I found some pictures of the set on the internet:

Marx12.jpg

Marx4.jpg

Marx3.jpg

Marx2.jpg

'Flage Guy

These war toy threads always mesmerize me with all the memories :w00t: This is the first time I've seen one of those 'flaged Tommy Guns since my friend down the street got his for our Orchard Wars. I settled for the Mattel "Dick Tracy" TSMG because to me, it looked "authentic" like the movies :lol:

Some of the remaining few of my beloved old Army Men from the late '50s-early '60s...

post-3226-1336929611.jpeg

willysmb44

When I was a kid, they had a "Navarone" playset for the small toy soldiers, included some vehicles as well, a complete base inside a plastic mountain. I wanted one of those SO badly as a kid. At a recent military show, a vendor had two of them in great condition. I took one look and realized it was much cooler when i was a kid. I could have afforded it, but I guess sometimes, one you get past a certain age, some things totally lose their appeal...

Here's a view from across the pond which might strike a chord with some of the "baby-boomers" (like me) among you? When I was a kid growing up in the UK in the early 60s I developed a taste for imported American DC comics...Superman, Batman, Flash etc. My eye was always taken by the ads for "BB guns" in the form of the classic Winchester, and, always on the back cover, a whole plastic army for about $2!! How I coveted those things, which I suppose some of you reading this would have played with yourselves? Instead, I had to content myself with Airfix plastic soldiers which were the British equivalent of your Marx toy soldiers.

Ian...the whole army for $2.00 is a great source of sadness for boys (or men now) of a certain age throughout this country (and a running joke among toy soldier collectors) ....if you paid the $2.00 you got everything listed but they were of such poor quality....almost like German semi-flat tin soldiers in shape, without detail and the ships and planes were micro sized.....so no one was very happy with them....google "Helen of Toy" a NY firm that sold them and you will see you missed out on nothing!

As for Airifix figures...they seemed to show up around the time most war toys were disappearing and for under a 1.00 you got well made figures (when combined with mini-tanks) that allowed you to have battles on a scale unequaled with the larger figures......and they served as a transition to table top war gaming for many of us.

I can remember combing through boxes of them at our local Woolworths....looking inside that little clear plastic window on the back of the box to see what poses the men were in...and the color of the plastic they were molded in too. I think by the time I was done collecting them the only ones I didn't have was the Robin Hood Set, an Africa Jungle set and the Arabs who were used to fight the French Foreign Legion.

Ian...the whole army for $2.00 is a great source of sadness for boys (or men now) of a certain age throughout this country (and a running joke among toy soldier collectors) ....if you paid the $2.00 you got everything listed but they were of such poor quality....almost like German semi-flat tin soldiers in shape, without detail and the ships and planes were micro sized.....so no one was very happy with them....google "Helen of Toy" a NY firm that sold them and you will see you missed out on nothing!

As for Airifix figures...they seemed to show up around the time most war toys were disappearing and for under a 1.00 you got well made figures (when combined with mini-tanks) that allowed you to have battles on a scale unequaled with the larger figures......and they served as a transition to table top war gaming for many of us.

I can remember combing through boxes of them at our local Woolworths....looking inside that little clear plastic window on the back of the box to see what poses the men were in...and the color of the plastic they were molded in too. I think by the time I was done collecting them the only ones I didn't have was the Robin Hood Set, an Africa Jungle set and the Arabs who were used to fight the French Foreign Legion.

So it was a case of not judging a book by its cover?! Still...it was a great fantasy at the time!

• 10 years later...
Salvage Sailor
On 5/13/2012 at 11:33 AM, Dirk said:

Old post I'm responding to but that said (or typed), since I've been dragging out my old Marx stuff It's spurred me to search for my Airfix stash.  I know I have some boxes of British Commandos, Afrika Korps, etc around here somewhere and when I find them I'll post photos.  I have rediscovered three full boxes of Avalon Hill board games too.

• 1 year later...
Salvage Sailor
On 10/13/2022 at 12:55 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

Old post I'm responding to but that said (or typed), since I've been dragging out my old Marx stuff It's spurred me to search for my Airfix stash.  I know I have some boxes of British Commandos, Afrika Korps, etc around here somewhere and when I find them I'll post photos.  I have rediscovered three full boxes of Avalon Hill board games too.

Getting ready for sale, Avalon Hill board games, still have more in storage too...

IMG_3773.JPG.00c7f18f9230fbd16d4c1ada52e36c19.JPG

IMG_3776.JPG.4ff0dc530ff6e339d86cb3dc8b11bbe3.JPG

IMG_3778.JPG.81429b1682b10ab55e65a28f9ad1bb0d.JPG

IMG_3780.JPG.c135b3735bb1a58c9c7ac9a73718bb94.JPG

IMG_3781.JPG.98fbbf39346779212978316675ff483d.JPG

Avalon Hill 'GENERAL' magazines & extras

IMG_3783.JPG.bd4b2fb6e4ed4da9668e38329839ec4f.JPG

Salvage Sailor

Marx stash...

LennonMarx.webp.2243c01061caba90784c025721fede93.webp

MarxFieldGear001.jpg.ba8bfc0f98ae1313a2978d513813f0e9.jpg

MarxFieldGear003.jpg.8446a3350f849fcc6b9a71e240c72219.jpg

MarxFieldGear004.jpg.8c724bcd91472b573c3f1fbc1830cbd1.jpg

MarxFieldGear005.jpg.d7c9b4a9d07ed5b4c1e0270768bb2ae9.jpg

MarxFieldGear006.jpg.abab8012f241e972a4ddf9cacd409af5.jpg

MarxFieldGear007.jpg.32c938452e3cb0613cfda24bbcb69c4d.jpg

MarxFieldGear009.jpg.be22c6ea7c6f4aa9bd06e150cb3a2d5d.jpg

MarxFieldGear010.jpg.64b6b4f71286416a0bc01c350c2c8669.jpg

MarxFieldGear012.jpg.055abda23cb20fb29285ee839d3cbd52.jpg

MarxFieldGear011.jpg.d66b6cda0f206a2bdd1116ed255ca016.jpg

MarxToysM1003.jpg.a139215f74b5d2657c726436dfa71342.jpg

MarxToysM1004.jpg.d6361313a9f83bb8b8ef97cd301c4aa4.jpg

MarxToysM1005.jpg.e37515cb0c3201ccd9064f4d2c3850b6.jpg

MarxToysM1006.jpg.c75acd3916620a853c3bfefc2009f1f5.jpg

MarxToysM1007.jpg.d5f98fdc0da7f42d29efcdd88d0b1358.jpg

MarxToysM1008.jpg.3c70a27d66fa2538633e8072cc2f7e56.jpg

MarxToysM1009.jpg.bac29fe1ba5ecb62335473086b2d1dfb.jpg

Now I have to track down my Airfix soldiers...

Marx Field Gear 014.jpg

Marx Field Gear 015.jpg

Marx Field Gear 017.jpg

Marx Field Gear 018.jpg

Marx Field Gear 019.jpg

Marx Field Gear 020.jpg

Marx Field Gear 021.jpg

Marx Field Gear 022.jpg

Marx Field Gear 023.jpg